How's my diet? How can I improve it?

Options
How is my diet? I'm forever trying to improve it . It's for weight loss I want to lose 2.5st.
I keep thinking I'm not eating health enough. I have 3 meals and 3 snacks in between meals.

This is the sort of things I would eat

Breakfast choice: Porridge with tablespoon of honey and sunflower seeds or , egg and toast, omelette (mainly always porridge)

Snack choice in between meals : nairns Oat biscuits mixed berries , corn cakes with hummus , nature valley bar , apple , grapes or strawberries, soya cream dessert , corn cakes with salmon.

Lunch: Tuna salad , mackeral in tomato sauce salad , ham lettuce and tomato , salmon broccoli and lettuce, soup and bread

Dinner : Some form of meat with mash potato and green beans , tomatoes or corn or carrots, white pasta with tomato sauce and meat , salmon and mash potato and asparagus . Omelette .
Generally I eat mash potato with a lot of meals.

Is my diet okay? Should I cut out white pasta , and white rice and potatoes? I'd rather limit the potatoes if possible and maybe switch to other pasta such as the brown or something else.? And the bread if I limit it to only one slice a day? or is that not good maybe only a few times a week?

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You eat animal products for every meal. You are destined for a slew of cardiovascular and colorectal diseases.

Also drink gallons of water before breakfast because you are dehydrating yourself at every meal.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out certain foods. Maintain a calorie deficit and hit your nutritional (macro/micro) goals and you're fine.

Calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You eat animal products for every meal. You are destined for a slew of cardiovascular and colorectal diseases.

Also drink gallons of water before breakfast because you are dehydrating yourself at every meal.

NO_zps1330dd61.jpg
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1600 I checked the TDEE thats what it is minus 500. . I know I have to avoid the junk food.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

NO_zps1330dd61.jpg

Second.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    30 banana a day eating bish
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Have ice cream, chicken fingers, Mac and cheese, French fries and apple pie for dinner like me
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

NO_zps1330dd61.jpg

Second.

Third!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably better off opening your diary so people can see what you eat. At a glance, if you're eating 1600 and have a reasonably balanced macro intake you're probably fine. I don't really see any need to cut out white bread or potatoes or whatever if you don't want to, assuming your entire diet doesn't consist of simple carbs of course. I eat bread, potatoes, pasta, etc all the time. It's not a big deal as long as it's part of a balanced diet.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do anything drastic. Swap out the white carbs for maybe brown rice and other whole grains. Swap the white potato for sweet potato. Maybe add some more veggies.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    How is my diet? I'm forever trying to improve it . It's for weight loss I want to lose 2.5st.
    I keep thinking I'm not eating health enough. I have 3 meals and 3 snacks in between meals.

This is the sort of things I would eat

Breakfast choice: Porridge with tablespoon of honey and sunflower seeds or , egg and toast, omelette (mainly always porridge)

Snack choice in between meals : nairns Oat biscuits mixed berries , corn cakes with hummus , nature valley bar , apple , grapes or strawberries, soya cream dessert , corn cakes with salmon.

Lunch: Tuna salad , mackeral in tomato sauce salad , ham lettuce and tomato , salmon broccoli and lettuce, soup and bread

Dinner : Some form of meat with mash potato and green beans , tomatoes or corn or carrots, white pasta with tomato sauce and meat , salmon and mash potato and asparagus . Omelette .
    Generally I eat mash potato with a lot of meals.

Is my diet okay? Should I cut out white pasta , and white rice and potatoes? I'd rather limit the potatoes if possible and maybe switch to other pasta such as the brown or something else.? And the bread if I limit it to only one slice a day? or is that not good maybe only a few times a week?

Just my opinion but I think it looks great, no need to cut anything out. :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    All you have to remember is calories in < calories out.

If you want more out of your meals/food, diversify! You eat a lot of the same things. I'd get so bored! lol.

Whole grains are a nice switch from white, but it doesn't matter too much to overall health. I know they tend to make you feel fuller and have more fiber in them. Sometimes fewer calories, too.

Try mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes on occasion if you're worried about starch consumption.

Meat is tasty, but if you wanna cut down on that, grab your protein from other sources. Nuts and beans (love hummus!) are a nice switch up.

Nothing you're doing is inherently wrong. Just some helpful tips and switches if you want to try it out. :)
  • Audities
    Audities Posts: 9
    Options
    It's always considered "better" to avoid white rice and white bread. They've been bleached (literally), so they lack nutrients *and* they will cause a spike in your blood sugar which will make you feel hungrier later on in the day. Whole wheat is a good middle ground and rye bread is considered one of the best breads. Sourdough has a low glycemic index if you find you get high blood sugar.
    Most of losing weight is actually just restricting calories in the beginning. If you have to slowly take out the bleached grains, just restrict them at first, then swap them out slowly. It's how I got off soda - I went soda > diet soda > crystal light mixed with water > water. It made the change much easier for me.
    The rest of what you eat sounds healthy to me. You mix your food groups well. I don't know your portion size or exercise regimen, but if you find you're having problems losing weight, maybe cut back portions slightly and increase exercise slightly.

Even my doctor said to me that losing weight was 75% portion control and 25% exercise - however, be aware that I am coming from morbidly obese so it may be very different for someone who is closer to their goal weight. I am assuming that as I get smaller, I will have to increase my exercise and eventually my calories as well. I now eat between 1200 - 1400 which is a very low calorie diet.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    Probably better off opening your diary so people can see what you eat. At a glance, if you're eating 1600 and have a reasonably balanced macro intake you're probably fine. I don't really see any need to cut out white bread or potatoes or whatever if you don't want to, assuming your entire diet doesn't consist of simple carbs of course. I eat bread, potatoes, pasta, etc all the time. It's not a big deal as long as it's part of a balanced diet.

I usually use a different food diary probably going to start using this. Oh so I don't need to cut out the simple carbs as long as I don't have too many in the day.
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    What percent is the best to follow for carb/protein/fat ?
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I usually use a different food diary probably going to start using this. Oh so I don't need to cut out the simple carbs as long as I don't have too many in the day.

Gotcha. And yes, that's the basic idea. Is wheat bread better than white bread? Yes, but the difference is pretty minimal. Usually the calories are almost identical or completely identical, you might get a little more protein and/or fiber with the brown variant though. Small difference. I like wheat bread so I use it but it's not massively superior to white bread. However, I dislike sweet potatoes so I only eat white. It has not made any difference in the two years I've been doing this. What makes a difference is eating at a reasonable caloric deficit and eating a reasonably balanced overall diet. Doing so will allow for a sustainable long-term success.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

where do people get this stuff from?

Op your diet looks fine.
  • octobernightfall
    octobernightfall Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your diet seems fine, but if you're not getting the results you desire, try switching things up a bit!

Try brown rice instead of white, whole grain pasta instead of white, try limiting red meat consumption (go for white meat: chicken & turkey and fish is always good!).

Oh don't forget moderation is key! Mix it up with the foods too, you don't want to get bored!

Hope this helps! :)
  • mizzcasual
    Options
    I'm quite into plain foods and I'm an avid potato mash person but I have it quite often during the week I do have the odd sweet potato. I'm not that into vegetables . I only really like the salads , carrots , tomatoes , corn , broccoli , asparagus , I do have onions to odd time in meals even though I hate it. I don't do the cooking mostly.

My diet plan does seem kinda boring but I just like to have some sort of structure in the early stages before I start the experimenting with other things.

I have for the last couple week occasionally been given into junk food as it's always in the house . I'm going to avoid it now I've started buying my own healthy things which helps.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    What percent is the best to follow for carb/protein/fat ?

There really isn't, it's more of a personal preference thing. Most people seem to recommend starting with a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein. Maybe start there and adjust as you see fit? I use 35/30/35 myself, I prefer a little higher protein. Some people prefer a much higher fat intake. Whatever works.

Just try to avoid eating 80% carbs or something, that's not going to allow for sufficient fat or protein intake in my opinion. Reasonably balanced is all you need.