How to chew more slowly?

Options
Ok, this is sort of ridiculous.

I have a giant problem with chewing my food. I barely do. I eat so quickly that alot of times I don't realize I am full until I have been full for a while, but my body is not recognizing it cause I am wolfing down my food. I have somewhat helped the problem by only allowing myself to eat healthy portions of food, but I can't help but think (duh) that I am hurting my digestion.

Anyone have any tips on how I can slow down my chewing? :)

Replies

• Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Count how often you chew a bite. In the beginning it will probably feel very strange to you, but it helps you to stay focused on the eating itself. Try not to get distracted by other things around and concentrate only on the eating and the food in front of you and just take it slow. It's probably not the best advice, but the only one I have to offer. :laugh:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    seems so simple to just NOT eat so fast but I am in the same boat with you.... I have always been a fast eater. maybe it started as a child when I would race my siblings (which my kids do now) then when I started working I would rush through my breaks... now I am stuck with the horrible habit...

I have been told by others to put my fork down between bites but I never tried that...
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    things my aunt and I do are: talk between bites which makes us slow down our eating....drink between bites as well makes us aware and causes us to slow down while eating......i like what someone else said about counting the chews.......
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink so fast. At work the girls are like "you didn't get lunch?" and I have to shamefully say I ate it already. I will admit I LOVE food that I just want to taste it as soon as I see it. I have to slow down because sometimes it's easy to get disgustingly full before I realize I'm full...
  • njksharp
    njksharp Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Put your fork down then pick up your water and take a sip then set it down then pick up your fork again...I want to say this was a suggestion from Dr. John LaPuma Chef MD :)
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I read another tip of trying to eat with the opposite hand, might be worth a go.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This won't help with "chewing" but it may help you slow down - smaller utensils - smaller plates and bowls, like the kiddie ones you see with the cartoon characters in the store- use those- will take you longer to eat...and you can pick your fav character too! lol
  • khursh8
    khursh8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat in courses. If I'm alone for dinner, I'll make my salad and eat that. And then I'll cook my chicken and eat that. And so on. Sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to eat my whole dinner. If I'm eating with family or friends, family style, I will only put the salad on my plate, and then only the vegetables, and then only the main dish. If I'm out to eat, I'm pretty much out of luck and I tend to just scarf the whole thing down, which is why I don't go out much :)
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am trying to now put my fork down between bites, and count how many chews. Aiming for around 20. I feel ridiculous!! And at lunch I am trying to take at least 20 of my 30 minutes to eat. I do feel more satisfied when the food takes me a lil longer to eat!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I put my fork/spoon down between each bite and put my hands in my lap until I am done chewing. If you are chewing very quickly, make a conscious effort to count your chews. Another important thing is, don't do ANYTHING while you are eating. No watching TV, no reading a book/newspaper/magazine, no talking on the phone, no texting/emailing. Just sit and eat. HTH!
  • missiemccarley
    Options
    For me, I put down my fork in between bites and/or put the sandwich down between bites.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like to eat with chopsticks. They are fun and I have to take smaller bites. Thanks for your post, you reminded me - haven't been doing it in a while. I don't get a break at work so I usually eat a few bites, then do something, and set another few bites later. I definitely get full faster that way!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I like to eat with chopsticks. They are fun and I have to take smaller bites. Thanks for your post, you reminded me - haven't been doing it in a while. I don't get a break at work so I usually eat a few bites, then do something, and set another few bites later. I definitely get full faster that way!

That is an amazing idea! My BF worked as a sushi chef for some time and I have a ton of chopsticks at home! Thanks!