Don't feel DOMS - am I still gaining muscle?

Options
I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago and have been put on a program which I felt didn't do much at all. The first time I did strength training I felt slight DOMS (I guess unused muscles) but the second time I felt nothing so I've decided to up the anti with my weights. Yesterday I lifted as heavy as I safely could manage and come about the 7th-8th rep I was busting my butt to finish. After my workout I felt really satisfied as I know I worked as hard as I could but I've woken up today and don't feel sore at all. I thought I would feel DOMS after increasing my weights. Is it normal to not feel DOMS after lifting as heavy as I possibly can at this stage?

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think DOMS affects your body from 24 hours after your workout, for up to 3 days after.
    Usually it hits me bad 2 days after the workout. So maybe its still going to come?

What exactly are you doing in the workout?
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    Let me know how you feel tomorrow :tongue: I usually feel a slight ache the following day that reminds me I used them all- but the 2nd day is always a kicker! And I religiously have a protein shake within half an hour of my weights sessions, as I found it lessened the pain & helped me to repair quicker!

Maybe you're just super lucky? In which case... I'M JEALOUS! If you are lifting and busting your butt- I would expect you to be gaining muscle so don't despair!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I Just had my 1st personal training session, I been going to the gym for 3week, plus I do karate. yesterday I did an exercise I hadn't in years, I wake up saw too, I now think changing up my exercise and routine is a good thing
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    I think DOMS affects your body from 24 hours after your workout, for up to 3 days after.
    Usually it hits me bad 2 days after the workout. So maybe its still going to come?

I was put on a program by a personal trainer - weight training (and cardio to shift the weight) but they were low weights and lots of reps and I really didn't even break a sweat so I decided to up the weights and do less reps. Specifically, it was my upper body yesterday I really targetted, shoulder press, tricep exercises - I don't have much upper body strength and I worked as hard as I can ever remember working my upper body and I was sweating like a pig afterwards but this morning I just don't feel sore. It was 24 hours ago, maybe tomorrow I'll feel a bit stiff and sore?
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I was put on a program by a personal trainer - weight training (and cardio to shift the weight) but they were low weights and lots of reps and I really didn't even break a sweat so I decided to up the weights and do less reps. Specifically, it was my upper body yesterday I really targetted, shoulder press, tricep exercises - I don't have much upper body strength and I worked as hard as I can ever remember working my upper body and I was sweating like a pig afterwards but this morning I just don't feel sore. It was 24 hours ago, maybe tomorrow I'll feel a bit stiff and sore?

I think you are right to use higher weights and less reps. I don't know why PTs are under the impression that women should lift light and more, whereas men should lift heavy and less... it's frustrating!
    As long as you feel the burn, your muscles will be changing.
    And I would definetely report back tommorow - that's when mine would be kicking in - tommorow and the day after.
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    I'm starting to feel it now - almost 36 hours later. Oops! Not severe but definitely there. Thanks :)