Cross fit a cult??

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Oh shut it... This is the next ridiculous thread about crossfit culting..

I just started crossfit and saying crossfit is a cult is such nonsense. I eat what I want, wear what I want. It's like any other sport.

By the way, it seriously is an amazing sport. I love it!! Workouts are very challenging, no excuses, great people that go there.

I first read about it on MFP and decided to check it out. So glad I did!!

Umm No I won't shut up. I am asking peoples opinions on something as I am considering doing it myself. Either add something constructive or don't comment.

Firstly, I wasn't talking to you OP :). You were just genuinly asking a question. I was talking to crossfit bashers who've never even done crossfit.

Secondly; I did add something constructive, being my own personal, positive experience. :flowerforyou:

Quite right you did... I ignored your second half - sorry!!!

No worries :wink:!! :flowerforyou:

I hope you'll give it a try! You'll love it.

The only thing that is stopping me is that it adds another £20 to my dd each month and i really want to do stronglifts
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I was able to do a two week free trial. Maybe they offer that too so you can check it out first?
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they have smaller places that JUST do CrossFit...they call them CrossFit in a box. It might be cheaper there than at a gym, & maybe more genuine. But make sure the instructor is certified by CrossFit, otherwise there's more potential for injury.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Same here, would love to do it. Did it for a while at my local gym but they did not have all the equipment so I could not really do the WOD some days. My nearest Crossfit gym is £70/month, it is just too much for me.
    A friend of mine opened a gym a while ago, and advertised as a Crossfit venue, but he had to remove all the Crossfit ads as he was not affiliated and Crossfit CA wanted £3,000 per year just to use the name. His word "I am not paying that, after all they have not invented anything new".
    When I was doing it, even if it wasn't the proper WOD, I felt really fit
    JC
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    No it's not TECHNICALLY a cult.

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Now he is dependent on crossfit.

But it's not a cult per say.

LOL!

Got ask, what would John Wayne do?
    Answer: Crossfit.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a cult.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    My cousin is addicted to cross fit and I'm actually kind of glad she lives two hours away. I love her to pieces but she tries to convert everyone to Cross Fit.

I get that she loves doing it and it keeps her in shape, great for her. But, to me, it seems like it's all about being quick and doing most and not too tight on proper form. I cringe every time I watch her dead lift anything... I keep waiting to hear her knees or spine snap... :noway: So, for me, no way. I'll stick to a little slower with proper form and protect my body.
  • mcflat29
    Options
    No it's not TECHNICALLY a cult.

Just people try it out, you know, for fun and to get in shape and what not. They go, get told what to eat, how to lift, what to wear. Pretty soon they're hanging out with other crossfitters. Talking about their diet and routines. Then they hang out with the normal friends and no one wants to hear about their diets and routines so their normal friends slowly distance themselves. This just makes things worse for the crossfitter. He begins to wonder if anyone else loves him. He turns to crossfit for comfort, Crossfit gives it to him.

Now he is dependent on crossfit.

But it's not a cult per say.

LOL!

Got ask, what would John Wayne do?
    Answer: Crossfit.

John Wayne would laugh at Cross Fit. He'd do a day's work around his farm and then get in the boxing ring for a few minutes. After that, he'd hop out, have a drink and a smoke while slapping some lady on the rump waiting for his steak and potatoes dinner ladled with gravy. :laugh: :laugh:
  • mcflat29
    Options

*whispers* Me too....
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    John Wayne would laugh at Cross Fit. He'd do a day's work around his farm and then get in the boxing ring for a few minutes. After that, he'd hop out, have a drink and a smoke while slapping some lady on the rump waiting for his steak and potatoes dinner ladled with gravy. :laugh: :laugh:

Hellz yeah.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's not a cult, but it does involve group motivation and physical high fives. There are also some mascots that I find a bit over the top. Seriously, the last time I bragged about working so hard I threw up I was in high school.

That said, to each his/her own, and I have several friends who love it. Give it a shot and see if it is for you, OP.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oh shut it... This is the next ridiculous thread about crossfit culting..

I just started crossfit and saying crossfit is a cult is such nonsense. I eat what I want, wear what I want. It's like any other sport.

By the way, it seriously is an amazing sport. I love it!! Workouts are very challenging, no excuses, great people that go there.

I first read about it on MFP and decided to check it out. So glad I did!!

Umm No I won't shut up. I am asking peoples opinions on something as I am considering doing it myself. Either add something constructive or don't comment.

You don't get to tell people how to respond to your thread... this is the internet, where freedom of expression exists just like in the *gasp, shock* real world. :tongue:
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My cousin is addicted to crossfit. But, if it's a cult I say it's a good one to join. He's super buff and has met so many great people.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's not a cult, but it does involve group motivation and physical high fives.
    Well, that's put me off. Was wanting to try it, but only one gym local to hear does something like it and can't justify the gym fees.

Oh and does very much sound a tad cultish... supppose it's better than the usual football/celebrity cults people get in to ;).
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I heard about crossfit from a friend. Then I came across a Groupon a while back, but I still wan't sure. The place had a youtube channel and I looked at a few of their clips. It didn't appeal to me, mainly because the owner/manager was narrating it saying how social a place it was and how people were always hooking up. Um, no thanks. Plus, I've been a part of competitive teams in college and after. I know that it's fun to working out as a group and having other people cheering you on, but I also know how wrapped up in it you can get. I was on the crew team in college. My non-crew friends did NOT want to hang out with me when I was with my crew friends because "ALL YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT IS CREW." I'm just not looking for that kind of thing (or the hooking up, lol) at this point in my life.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they have smaller places that JUST do CrossFit...they call them CrossFit in a box. It might be cheaper there than at a gym, & maybe more genuine. But make sure the instructor is certified by CrossFit, otherwise there's more potential for injury.

To my knowledge, CrossFit boxes are ridiculously expensive. I have thought about CrossFitting, but I don't think it's for me. However, I've looked into the boxes here, there's three, and not one of them is less than $120 a month.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options

Today it's high fives. Tomorrow it's purple Kool-Aid.
  • mcflat29
    Options

Today it's high fives. Tomorrow it's purple Kool-Aid.

Wednesday it's the Spanish Inquisition...
    Spanish_inquisition.jpg
    Or is that tomorrow and kool-aid Wednesday? I forget, oh well, either way it should be stomach churning fun!

:laugh:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Have you ever actually done crossfit? Just wondering.
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    First of all; no, it's not a cult. The people who raves and raves about it are simply the types of people who raves.

Second: If the instructor compares SL5x5 to crossfit she's the type of person who raves. Yes, both programs are about whole-body conditioning, but that's where the similarities end. You could compare SL5x5 (compound barbell exercises) to dancing and be just as "right".