Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

7 Days into L.Mcdonalds Rapid Fat Loss

13»

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    The first reason is reality. Trust me, I’d love to live in a world where nobody crash dieted, where
    everybody followed sane and safe dieting strategies and stuck with it in the long term until they reached
    their goal and then stuck with those newfound eating habits in the long-term. I also want a pony and to
    be six feet tall and to be an astronaut. And how about an end to world hunger while I’m at it. My point?
    When idealism and reality slam together it’s never pretty. People are going to crash diet no matter what
    I or anybody else tell them.

Thats from the book itself, the programmes about quick results for people priming for comps, making weight cuts etc. Its not pretty, its not sustainable, it gets fast results, it will get abused
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    So, you may or may not have heard of Lyle Mcdonald's Rapid Fat Loss Program.

Either way, it's meant to go for 11-12 days for category 1. I'm currently at around 11:30pm on my 7th day.

Guess what? I'm hating it.
    Sure, the results are good. Hell, they're great. I'm visibly leaner already. But I feel absolutely terrible, and the side effects are many.

Here's a little recap of my side effects. Maybe if you've tried it, or do try it, they'll be different, but this is my experience so far, anyway.

1. Small headache at around 4-5pm each day building slowly into a splitting headache at around 10-11pm each night, even though I'm drinking over 5 litres of water every day.
    2. Struggle to actually get to sleep even though I'm exhausted.
    3. Waking up almost every single hour, 6-8 times during the night.
    4. COMPLETE lack of energy. Getting up off the couch is a serious effort, let alone the few weights sessions I've attempted. A half hour walk had me completely drained and exhausted.
    5. During weights sessions, even lifting at 60-70% of what weight I normally do, doing 2 sets instead of 3, I felt nauseous, struggled to lift it, and almost passed out at one stage.
    6. Bowel movements from one extreme to the other. Yeah folks, that's from constipation in the beginning right through to diarrhea.
    7. I'm a complete grumpy bum. My family is suffering due to me being so grumpy and short with them all the time.
    8. Concentrating is hard and I've been slightly worried while driving, especially coming home from work one night.
    9. And how could I forget; I'm normally hungry.

Basically this has been my food intake almost every day the past week:

Supplements:
    12 Spirulina capsules
    1 x Multivitamin
    5g Creatine dose
    Flaxseed oil

Breakfast:
    5 egg white omelette with ham and mushroom

Lunch:
    250-300g tinned tuna with green salad. Lemon juice as a dressing.

Dinner:
    300-400g chicken with brocolli/beans or green salad.
    Ocassionaly a no-fat cheese slice

Snack:
    500g protein jelly
    (6g protein, 0.2g sugar)

If I did a workout, I'd have my whey protein concentrate shake bearing 24g protein, 1g fat, 1g carbs

That's pretty much it. Maybe a bit more tuna, or a bit more chicken depending how hungry I was.

All in all, it worked out to around 250-300g protein, 20-25g fat, <10g carbs each day.

I'm currently 4kg less than when I started. I'm thinking around 75% of this is due to water-weight dissapearing, with hopefully 25% being all fat loss and no muscle loss.

So all in all, the past week has been a big, horrible mess for me. Call me a whinger, I don't care. It's been terrible in my opinion and I'm not sure I'll try it again.
    However, the results have been good. Really good. So, is it worth it? I don't know. I could've done the same thing in 3-4 weeks and remained sane and happy eating at a slight deficit, while still eating normally.

/End

1. Increase your sodium/magnesium/potassium intake
    2/3. Save your carbs for bedtime.
    4. Try EC stack.
    5. What are you taking around your workouts?
    9. Eat a crapload of veggies everyday

Take fishoil, not flaxseed oil. I'm guessing you pirated the first edition - this is reflected in the updated version..
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    i'm 3 weeks in (cat 2), and have to say that i feel GREAT! i had headaches for maybe the 1st two days (presumably from carb withdrawal, as i've had this when i've tried to even moderately reduce carbs before), but otherwise i've had no complaints. i've had plenty of energy, and have had significant progress in lifting since starting.

i think that everyone is going to react differently, just like with anything else. for me, the results have definitely been worth a few weeks w/o bread, pasta, potatoes...
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Tried it many times and felt like crap all the time. The best is a lifestyle you can do life long.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    WTF? that sounds terribly low in carbs. Jesus, get your carbs up to at least 50g ... really is it worth it? you sound miserable.

Its only for 11-12 days.

I know a female who did it on this site with brilliant results.
    I was going to do it as a category 3, started and did well (as in felt good, no headaches) but kind of lost motivation. As a cat. 3 I would have had to do it for a lot longer.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I did a 5 day run of sub 20g carbs, and sub 20g fat..............similar results. I am intolerable on no carbs, can't be near anyone........it does work though.

One thing to be taken into consideration............when i was 60lbs heavier, i wouldn't have wasted my time with this, but as you get lighter and lighter, chasing lower and lower body fats, short term extremes work. That goes along with the maintaining the whole "lifestyle change."

When you have a large amount of body fat to lose, slow and steady is the way to go............but when you have smaller amounts, there is nothing wrong with chasing extremes. Extreme diets and workouts for extreme results. They can't be maintained long-term, but they can smash plateau's and get you re-motivated bigtime.

Ah, there's nothing here I can deny. Spot on. When you're getting down toward single digit bodyfat% territory, perhaps it is indeed one of the better ways to do it.

A large part is in the mind, though. Not saying I'm mentally the strongest person out there; but I know it's been a challenge and I know there's lots of people who simply couldn't do it.
    Then again, most of those people shouldn't even be trying to do it, because they're most likely not in need of the crash diets and need the long term, sustainable weight loss.

I just want to point out as well, because I've been noticing quite a few people my age now are having to have their gall bladders removed..(the organ that helps digest fat, etc) which is due to crash dieting, because it confuses your gall bladder and makes it work harder than it should...so it causes gall stones....

It doesn't confuse your gallbladder and then makes it work harder. When a fatty meal is not forthcoming the bile can sit in the gallbladder turning to sludge and overtime gallstones can form. You could also be someone more prone to gallstones.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    "Are you thinking of ketoacidosis?"

A good point -- I think it's almost impossible in a "sound bite" environment like a posting board, to get in to any very close to real science.

It tends to be more yelling about opinions gleaned from talk-shows, etc :-)

Lyle McDonald's diets are incredible, if, you are a body builder or just want to lose FAT quickly.

Regarding all the complaints in the world about low carb intake:

something to consider:

90% of the time this is just because people are wildly addicted to carbs.

I spent a year rebuilding the health of my pancreas, and now, very luckily for me, I am not in the slightest addicted to carbohydrates.

I can easily go at any time for a few days with ZERO carbohydrates, and have no ill effects, no anger, mood changes or anything else whatsoever.

(There's no particular reason to "go for days without carbs" but if I do it as a test there's no problem - whatsoever.)

Similarly and just as importantly, if one or two days I happen to eat a huge amount of carbs .. no ill effects at all. no sudden fat increase or the like, no headaches or any other problems - at all.

So for everyone who has "carb anger" and hates to hear about moderate-carb eating or the like .. all I would say is, clearly, I was EXACTLY LIKE THAT merely a year ago. Whenever anyone mentioned anything to do with carbs, I'd just get really angry and yell talk-show opinions about how your head is going to explode if you "ketosis" etc etc.

The fact is, anthropological studies show humans ate about 70 grams a day of carbs. And anyone can easily verify that if you just do this for a few weeks, you feel incredible all the time. (And as a minor side issue, all the fat just falls off your body.)

The idea that protein or fat is bad for you in any way is just nutty. Your body runs on fat, just as motor cars run on petrol/oil. And protein "is your body".

So while (some of) Lyle McDonald's plans are seemingly extreme, it's worth bearing in perspective.

Don't forget, it's normal these days in western countries for people to eat "utterly insane' levels of carbohydrates per day ... 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 grams is totally everyday. These figures are completely insane for CHO intake. We live in a historic era of insanely high CHO intake. So when writers like McDonald start mentioning figures closer to the normal (ie, "normal for 100,000s of years") human intake of 70 or so grams a day, it can sound whacky. but it's hardly whacky.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Several years ago, I did RFL for 8 weeks and dropped 20lbs. Outside of being mentally foggy the first 2 days, I felt fine.....no headaches or bad moods as some people get. I did a basic full body weight routine every 3 days and no cardio. Had a free meal once per week. I really had no appetite. I think it might have been the 10 fish oil caps that stifled it. A lot of people are now combining RFL with intermittent fasting so they can have bigger meals. It is an effective diet, and Lyle McDonald does an excellent job of describing the negative aspects of RFL in the handbook. He doesn't at all try to cover anything up.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    I know this is an old post I wanted to chime in. I lost 45 pounds on keto about a year ago. I started lifting and eating "normal" and gained some good muscle. I started a cut a month and a half ago and I'm hating the performance at the gym so I decided to try this out for the 12 recommend days for my category.

I'll also say I've been doing intermittent fasting.

This diet is a piece of cake for me, 225grams of protein in 8 hours has me stuffed and super full on around 1k calories a day... Sure the food is boring but I'm not hungry at all and actually feel good at the gym(taking a glucose tablet prior to lifting)

I won't don't for more than the 12 days but honestly this is probably going to be my proffered cutting method so I don't have to deal with long cuts... With this, someone somewhat lean should be able to get back to 10-12% within 12 days

Read the book and seriously take all of Lyles warnings into account before attempting it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    "Are you thinking of ketoacidosis?"

A good point -- I think it's almost impossible in a "sound bite" environment like a posting board, to get in to any very close to real science.

It tends to be more yelling about opinions gleaned from talk-shows, etc :-)

Lyle McDonald's diets are incredible, if, you are a body builder or just want to lose FAT quickly.

Regarding all the complaints in the world about low carb intake:

something to consider:

90% of the time this is just because people are wildly addicted to carbs.

I spent a year rebuilding the health of my pancreas, and now, very luckily for me, I am not in the slightest addicted to carbohydrates.

I can easily go at any time for a few days with ZERO carbohydrates, and have no ill effects, no anger, mood changes or anything else whatsoever.

(There's no particular reason to "go for days without carbs" but if I do it as a test there's no problem - whatsoever.)

Similarly and just as importantly, if one or two days I happen to eat a huge amount of carbs .. no ill effects at all. no sudden fat increase or the like, no headaches or any other problems - at all.

So for everyone who has "carb anger" and hates to hear about moderate-carb eating or the like .. all I would say is, clearly, I was EXACTLY LIKE THAT merely a year ago. Whenever anyone mentioned anything to do with carbs, I'd just get really angry and yell talk-show opinions about how your head is going to explode if you "ketosis" etc etc.

The fact is, anthropological studies show humans ate about 70 grams a day of carbs. And anyone can easily verify that if you just do this for a few weeks, you feel incredible all the time. (And as a minor side issue, all the fat just falls off your body.)

The idea that protein or fat is bad for you in any way is just nutty. Your body runs on fat, just as motor cars run on petrol/oil. And protein "is your body".

So while (some of) Lyle McDonald's plans are seemingly extreme, it's worth bearing in perspective.

Don't forget, it's normal these days in western countries for people to eat "utterly insane' levels of carbohydrates per day ... 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 grams is totally everyday. These figures are completely insane for CHO intake. We live in a historic era of insanely high CHO intake. So when writers like McDonald start mentioning figures closer to the normal (ie, "normal for 100,000s of years") human intake of 70 or so grams a day, it can sound whacky. but it's hardly whacky.
    Curious to know what papers/research show 70g's a normal CHO consumption.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    lol @ all the noobs in the first 2 pages calling out Lyle
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    This reminds me of the 5-2 diet. Sure, you'll lose fat pretty quickly fasting two days of the week. But the fatigue, irritability, possible dehydration? Not for me.
  • MacaPower
    MacaPower Posts: 1 Member
    Here's my 2 cents: there's essential amino acids (protein) and essential fats. Anyone heard of essential carbs? No? Nope, guess why....
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Here's my 2 cents: there's essential amino acids (protein) and essential fats. Anyone heard of essential carbs? No? Nope, guess why....
    Because carbs make people not read post dates... Strong thread necro
  • RossMcallister94
    RossMcallister94 Posts: 18 Member
    Stress and not sleeping enough also has a negative effect on your anabolic hormone production and raises your catabolic hormones such as cortisol, whose main intent is to store body fat and burn muscle. Specifically, your human growth hormone production and testosterone levels will take a significant drop.

Your best bet, ive found with experience is go maximum 500 calories under your BMR, prefferably 200. split that over 6 even calorie meals, 2 - 3 hours between each meal.
    Use a 40/40/20 split, or even 40P/30C/30F as long as your on calorie deficit you will lose fat, the less the deficit, sure the slower the process but the happier you will be doing it and still enjoy working out with enough energy.
    Eat only fats and protein for meals 1 & 6
    Eat only complex carbs and protein for meals 2, 3 & 4
    And assuming meal 5 is your post work out meal, get some Simple carbs, complex carbs and protein, its ok if this one is slightly higher calorie than the rest.

You can find many calculators on the web.
    Hope this helps slightly, just personal experience might work diffenent for you :)
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    I read about this one on bodybuilding.com. Typically it's a diet for strong motivated males before competition. Fast weight loss is awesome, but what's a point if I know it's coming back shortly after