Help with Poor Flexibility (& Back bends!)

Options
Does anyone have any advice on how to improve very poor flexibility? I do pilates and yoga but I find it difficult to do a lot of the poses, so I don't feel like I benefit fully from the workout. I can't even touch my toes or cross my legs. Any exercise that involves putting weight on my wrists (like push-ups) are quite painful too.

Also, I've been trying to do back bends and can barely lift myself up off the floor. Is that due to a lack of upper body strength or is it weak wrists?

Sorry if this was such a vague question! But any advice would be nice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :brokenheart:
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    Mobility exercises!
    I could not reach my toes before, but now I can place my palms on the ground.
    You tube some mobility exercises they are amazing!
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mobility exercises!
    I could not reach my toes before, but now I can place my palms on the ground.
    You tube some mobility exercises they are amazing!

Cool, I'm going to check these out too!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    keep practising, you will get better. I am very unflexible (is that a word??), but since I have been doing Insanity and doing the stretches I am getting better
    JC
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it came with practice. I used to be extremely inflexible but I focused my work outs on yoga for about 2 months and then when I moved on to running, I decided to do 5-10 minutes of yoga before bed to test my flexibility.

Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown is quite good for working on your flexibility as she mixes yoga with aerobics so you get a better workout but it also flows through all the moves twice so after you've mastered it, you can work on how deep you can stretch into it. She also gets you to do repetition moves in those poses which boosts flexibility.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yoga is extremely progressive. Everyone is inflexible when they first start out- the important thing is to be patient, focus on correct breathing and technique, and eventually, everything will loosen.

It's important to remember with yoga that no matter how far away you are from the advanced position, you are always reaping benefit at every stage.

Make sure the room you practice in is a good temperature, not too cold, and if you feel stiff, take a shower afterwards like you would after other exercise.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't do push up's on your palms because they are bad for the wrist for everyone. Its suggested to do them on push up stands but if you don't have those to do them on your knuckles with a cloth under them, this will get WAY less tension to the wrist.