using up almond milk?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
I always end up binning most of my almond milk as i cant use it up in time and then it goes bad

Would like to make something other than smoothies or oatmeal with it, relatively healthy (vegan)
for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack

Replies

• bluebirdlx
    Options
    I don't have any ideas of what to do with it that will add variety to your meals but before it spoils freeze it in a ice cube tray and use later for smoothies. I don't know how well it freezes as I've never tried this myself, just an idea..
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ice cube tray- great idea.
    I always go through mine. I add it to my chai latte- but only the almond-coconut kind. I don't like the plain almond one in my chai.
    I have 1-2 cups of it a day.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i used it yesterday in a protein muffin recipe to make oat flour, i make waffles with it, mix banana in and freeze for a dessert
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze 30 cal per cup. My Coffee, My Coffee!! I like the Freezing idea!
  • bluebirdlx
    Options
    ice cube tray- great idea.
    I always go through mine. I add it to my chai latte- but only the almond-coconut kind. I don't like the plain almond one in my chai.
    I have 1-2 cups of it a day.

I love the almond-coconut milk. I use it with a chocolate protein powder and it tastes like a Mounds bar.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The ice cube trays are the best idea! I freeze it and toss them into the blender with fruit, raw spinach and ground flax for a yummy smoothie!
  • dwhitmoyer
    dwhitmoyer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use my soy milk in all my recipes that call for milk. It lasts so long in the fridge, it's great. I normally drink the light almond flavor soy milk, but I buy a smaller container of regular flavor to use in savory recipes or in gravies or sauces.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Smoothies using your favorite fruits and veg are good. The unsweetened varieties are only 30-40 calories so you could just drink some during the day for extra calcium.
  • Kskdmad
    Kskdmad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl makes chocolate oatmeal with it (I just made today):

1 cup almond breeze 40 cal vanilla
    1/2 cup oatmeal/oats
    1 package Diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate
    Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
    1 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)

Mix first four ingredients (if using cinnamon) in a small saucepan. Cook on low for about 15 minutes, until the consistency of oatmeal. Top with chocolate chips or ground up graham cracker, if desired.
    Yum!
  • cold_hearted_witch
    Options
    that almond dark chocolate milk is awesome!!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Have you tried freezing it? It freezes wonderfully.

If you can't finish a carton before you think it's gone bad, try freezing half of it when you first get it. Just shake it really well, pour about half in a container for the fridge, and stick the rest of the carton in the freezer. It'll thaw overnight when you're ready to use the 2nd half.

Or the ice cube tray trick is good, too!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We have made muffins with it and frozen the muffins to have as a quick breakfast from time to time. Obviously you wouldn't use it for protein since Almond milk only has 1G per C (versus 8 for milk or ~6+ for soy milk) , so mostly for calcium and lower calories.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It literally lasts the longest of all milks....months until it expires...stop buying it in such large quantities maybe...?
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... :drinker:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    add in protein powder and fruit and spinach and ice or tea...ugh oatmeal in them doesn't even sound good.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I love the almond-coconut milk. I use it with a chocolate protein powder and it tastes like a Mounds bar.

:love: I love almond-coconut and I am so going to buy some chocolate protein powder just so I can drink this!!

ETA: To the OP, I like to drink it as a snack becuase I think it tastes good and slightly sweet - so at 30cals it's a yummy snack :)