Knee Pain from Treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    the combination of running and squats is no good for the knees :(
    i have issues in the same place no 17, mines been xrayed, poked, prodded you name it, de to see a physio in 2 weeks.
    diagnosed as runners knee (chondomalacia patella), its never really painful more aching / feels like kneecap is moving around a bit.
    Dr ordered me to stop any high impact / weight / full knee bend exercise, im now ok with a few minutes jogging, but squats or full on running seriously aggravate it.
    If this sounds like what you have, lay off the running and squats for a bit, look up some isometric strengthening exercises that work the leg without ending, and hopefully by building up muscle correctly around the knee it should sort it out!
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    Besides properly fitted and not worn out shoes, I would recommend running on the treadmill with no less incline than 2%. I just recently read (sorry I can't find the article in the time I have right now) an article that suggested treadmills are hard on knees unless you use some incline as well. Like I said minimum 2%
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Besides properly fitted and not worn out shoes, I would recommend running on the treadmill with no less incline than 2%. I just recently read (sorry I can't find the article in the time I have right now) an article that suggested treadmills are hard on knees unless you use some incline as well. Like I said minimum 2%

Interesting! I find the opposite - the higher the incline, the more my knee hurts, especially when I do power-walking on the treadmill. I'm prone to tendonitis, so I have to be careful. I wear my Tensor band whenever I hit the treadmill. What I do is rotate cold and heat (if my knee hurts after getting off the treadmill, I'll ice it and then I'll put the heating pad on it before I go to bed).
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    I think the general idea is to get us to stop heel striking when walking/running. So pay attention to how your foot hits the ground and adjust accordingly. Shorter steps can also help.

As always, no one is the same, so please always do what works best for you and listen to your body. This is all just suggestions to help.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try the incline thing if I use the treadmill again.

Going to take a few days off from leg exercise and see if trail running aggravates it, and go from there.

Thanks all.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My knees are killing me! Or should i say...Jillian Mchaels is killing my knees! Gona try the Advil and ice packs right now :frown:
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    Im not a physical therapist (I'm a physical therapy assistant & have been there ALONG time & have learned a lot) these are some of the tips my PT's give to their patients who are runners (and to me since Im starting to run more).

SHOES:
    Don't use the bottom of your running shoes to determine whether you should replace your shoes. The midsole, which provides the cushioning and stability, usually breaks down before the bottom shows major signs of wear. If you've been feeling muscle fatigue, shin splints, or some pain in your joints (especially your knees) you may be wearing running shoes that no longer have adequate cushioning.

Replace your running shoes every 300 to 400 miles, depending on your running style, surface you use & body weight. Smaller runners closer to 400 miles, heavier runners should consider replacing shoes closer to 300 miles. If you run on roads, you'll need to replace your running shoes sooner than if you mainly use treadmills.

WARM UP: if you skip or skimp on your prerun routine, you risk injury.For treadmills start with 10 minutes on a low to no-impact cardio machine. Add a few one-minute segments at a harder effort until you reach 15 minutes. Then go on the treadmill right away & increase the speed until you reach your regular running pace.

STRENGTH TRAINING/STRETCHING: strengthening your quadriceps will improve patellar tracking, and stretching your hamstrings and calves will help with the tracking. Do dynamic stretching BEFORE your run and STATIC stretching after(google it if you aren't sure what these are)...DONT do it the other way around. Strength training and cross training are good for runners.

ICE: ITS NEVER A BAD IDEA TO ICE

*If the pain keeps up I know you said its not bad enough to see a DR. but maybe if you go see one and get a prescription for a physical therapy it can help. We see A LOT of runners, usually 1-5 visits and some of them have odd biomechanics when running that is creating a problem to cause pain. Some of our patients have had custom orthotic inserts made because their ankles do weird things when they run causing knee problems and the orthotics help stop that ankle movement. Some of them need a better stretching or strengthening routines. Plus having multiple visits helps to tweak the plan if something doesn't work or create more pain.

Hope your knee starts to feel better...sorry this was long ; /
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've usually went slow for about 3-5 on the treadmill before running. I am very awkward on the elliptical.
    Definitely going to get new shoes before I go back running. I've had these from last summer.

The doctor route always bothers me because he loves ordering tests. The always come back negative, except for the people cashing the checks =/

I tried static stretching while not warmed up because it got tight. Stretching the soleus really aggravated it =/

Thanks all.
  • knel216
    knel216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I have a long history of knee issues, and have found that far and away it's much better for me to run on the road.

When I HAVE to use a treadmill, I reduce it to walking briskly -- I almost never take it up to running pace. And at that point I'm doing it just to move and get SOME exercise in.

As for the road being better, sure it's a harder surface -- but I think I make these automatic micro-adjustments to my pace to accommodate my knees/body. So it's not 4.5mph ALL the time -- it's 4.8, then 4.4, then 4.5 all within a minute. While my average is the same, these small adjustments in pace let me quickly go faster or slower as needed. That is not as easily achievable on a treadmill, and the adjustment between pace is not as fluid since you have to press a button or hold down a switch, etc.

I honestly think the instant flexibility on the road is what has made all the difference for me -- that and the fresh air whizzing past my face. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • niceknickers
    Options
    Running can put a lot of pressure on your joints, but running on a treadmill can really make your joints hurt because you are doing a repetative motion over and over again. The speed and surface of the treadmill are controlled, so that repetative motion can really aggrivate your joints and muscles.

When running outside, the ground is not flat and has different inclines and drops so your muscles make small adjustments to these as well as adjusting your speed as you run over the un-even surface.
  • ukmuffin
    ukmuffin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling eh, thanks for teaching me something new!

P.S congrats on your transformation! way to inspire a lady.