Average 5K time - first race

Options
124»

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I think a pretty good/average time would be around 27-30 minutes.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Glad you went for it. My first 5k time was 40:22, and I still was not the last one to finish. Have fun!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to register for my first 5k race soon (I've come from barely being able to run a mile, so this is a big step for me!) and I was wondering if more experienced runners can tell me what their average time is?

I understand that the times vary greatly because some people sprint and others walk. But because it's my first run and I'm pretty self conscious, I want to make sure I train enough so I'm not one of the last people across the finish line!

Currently I can run a 5K in about 35 minutes. Should I get it to under 30 before registering?

you should go right ahead and enter. Don't concern yourself with other people's times..the more miles you run and the harder you train, the faster you will become over time.

I think you should really go out and enjoy the event and do your very best...you won't come last..the people who sit at home and defer from leaving their sofa to exercise are the ones that come last!!

Good luck!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Just do it. It gives you something to work towards, then you have an official race time so you have a target to aim for next time. My average time is around 23 minutes, PB is 20' 48".
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one a week ago. I got first place in my age division!I ran like the wind!! (there was a cooler full of beer in the car ) 31 min !!! Just have fun and finish !
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k in June........terrified!

Barely made a 1k run on Friday haha!
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Good luck for your race - My first ever 5km race was 34.04 now I average 26/27min depending on my mood, what I've eaten, the terrain etc
    Most important thing - Enjoy it!
    Don't worry about other people think, the faster people will start out front and won't be bothered in the slightest about anything but a PB =D
    I ran 5km with my newbie runner sister and she was 36min.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sign up now! It will keep you modivated and there is no way that you will be last if you can do it in 35 mins, have fun!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was over an hour. That was 3 years ago. Even within the last year I had people tell me before the event even started that they didn't think I could make it. The best revenge is Success! I got my on-pavement time down to 52 minutes, and my treadmill time down to 46-48, depending on how hard I want to push myself (and yes, for all you people out there whose workout gets completely ruined by someone else hanging on to the rails, I hang on to the rails!!! LOL!!!)

In an event, I am last about 75% of the time. It doesn't bother me. I got off my *kitten* and did it. I am running circles around people sitting on the couch. Someone else is happy they they weren't last. Overall, I got in more minutes of cardio than anyone else participating in the event!

The only time I ever got bothered was about 15 years ago at an event where there were SO MANY volunteers with nothing to do that, as the last place participant I had 7 sag-wagons follow me across the finish line. That experience kept me from doing them for a long time.

I am doing a 5K this weekend at the Brayton Fire School Disaster City at Texas A&M. It is a training facility where they have staged full blown train wrecks, oil refinery scenarios, collapsed buildings, a ship, etc. Apparently the course will go through all the "disasters". The event is a fundraiser for 4 firefighters from Bryan, TX, two who were killed and two who were seriously injured several months ago.

:flowerforyou:

You, sir, are awesome.

:drinker:

Yes indeed, sir..you really are awesome....I am utterly inspired by reading this.
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been following this discussion and love the encouragement you've gotten. So proud of you for signing up -- let us know how you did!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    No. There will be plenty of people finishing long after that.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Definetely register. A 35:00 time will almost certainly not put you last. There's always families that just walk it together, with little ones, and take near an hour.

I did my first race ever last month and finished in just over 30:00. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • joysette
    joysette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's how long it took me to run my 5k distance this morning and I've run ~10 5Ks and some longer distances. You'll do great! And you'll see you might even run faster on race day because of adrenaline and competition!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys! I will :)

Your responses are great motivation, I'm totally pumped! Wish I could get up and run now...but I guess I'll go to class haha.

definitely sign up and don't worry about your time. for your first that's a great time. plus i guarantee the day of the race you'll shave off a bit of time just from all the excitement and adrenaline rush you'll get being there. good luck, have FUN!
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi

I always remember being very nervous about my first 5K firstly because I got mixed up between km and miles and thought I was running a 5 mile race. At the time it was taking me 45-50 minutes to run 5 miles and I heard someone say they had not been running long and done it in 40 minutes. I was putting so much presure on myself thinking I was really slow.

I completed the race in just over 27 minutes in the end Happy days !!

But my point is it doesnt matter what anyone else does it in , its a starting point for you, something to improve on in the future ,so enjoy it and good luck :)
  • dpippenger
    dpippenger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I ran my first 5K last September and my greatest fear was to come in last. Guess what, it didn't happen. I finished in about 37 minutes. Go for it. The way I look at it is when you finish your a winner no matter what.