Running in the cold

Options
I thought that most people have an easier time running in the cold? It seems that every time I run when its cold, I'm slower and can't go as hard. Anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have a hard time running in the cold too but I still do it. I tend to wear layers and warmer pants and gloves, if you are dressed for it it's not too bad. I'm definitely slower in the winter though.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get a really bad case of bronchitis if I run in temps under probably 50 degrees, so I usually don't, but yes, it will slow you down depending on the temp...
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am slower too.. I have a harder time regulating my breathing in the cold.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit slower in the cold.. but I'm a bit slower when it's hot too. My body prefers to run when it's between about 50-75F. That's when I get my best times.
  • seths_wife
    seths_wife Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't breathe when I run in the cold. Would much rather run when it's hot, just not humid because then I feel like dying.
  • dnorman56
    dnorman56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the clothing that you are wearing. You need to make sure that you have enough clothing to keep you warm, but still allows your body to release heat. The warm up is even more important. You need a really good stretch and need get your mind focused on running instead of the cold. Also push yourself to your normal pace for the first 5 minutes, it will suck, but only for the first 5 minutes, after that you should be able to get used to it. I usually wear a hat, gloves, tights under my shorts, and a long sleeve thermal with a light hoodie. That always does the trick running in temps under 35. For 35-50 I usually lose the hoodie. 50 - 60 above, I lose the tights. Hope that helps.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Running in the cold will burn more calories though as your body is trying to keep itself warm at the same time.

Shredded off about a stone and a half of pure fat this winter running in tracksuit trousers a tshirt wooly hat and gloves.
  • nurse_beck
    nurse_beck Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love running in the cold, as long as it's not actively sleeting or snowing. It's snowing this morning and it's also pretty slick outside. I won't run in this because I'm not willing to risk injury. I tend to push myself harder when it's cold.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I like running in the cold more than the heat, I think like all things running, the biggest obstacle is the mental game.

My best long runs this year have been on cold mornings (wind chill 33-38 degrees) versus the nice 60-70 degree days.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have asthma, but for some reason, running in the cold doesn't bother me as long as I'm dressed appropriately and my lungs are warm. In fact I've logged my fastest runs in temps between 17-40 degrees. However in yhe summer if its poor air quality I'll end up having such a hard time I have to pack it in early. As runners we just need to find out what temps work best for us. I still runbin the summer, but I think next year I'll book a half marathon in jan or feb.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious how cold weather would cause bronchitis?

I enjoy colder weather, as compared to really hot weather. It does take some getting used to but I find it easier that 100 degrees and sweating!