Do you hold a water bottle when you run?

Options

Replies

• cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bottle one hand and ipod other hand is how I do it! lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is more mental than physical but my mouth gets really dry (I breath through my mouth when I'm running).

Try a camel back. I was in the same position as you and you don't feel a difference in weight and it's balanced. Also some have a small pouch on the bottom for keys or anything else. No need to stop running to drink it either.

Don't go for a cheap one. I bought one at Costco and it sits in my closet because it gives the water a plastic taste. yuck.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have to run with a water bottle since it is VERY hot and humid here in Houston and I am prone to heat exhaustion. But it is all personal preference.
  • izzyl09
    izzyl09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If the belt is a bit bulky I got a great running pocket... it is elasticated and slides on over you wrist with a pocket for phone/car keys (i actually pinned my keys to my trousers at a race when I realised I had no pockets... whoopsie!) :D

as someone else mentioned gum is good for a dry mouth....I find that if I bring water I think about it more and drink more than I need and it 'swishes' around in my belly, really weighs me down!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would find it annoying to carry an water bottle so I never have. I have run up to 7 miles without water. I would say anything longer I'd probably run by my home to get a sip if needed (if it was hot).
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You could do what I did. I got myself a small child. I put her in a jogging stroller and the jogging stroller allows me to carry a water bottle, my phone, various other electronics, snacks, extra clothes, whatever really.

Sometimes my small child has other plans though. On these occasions when I'm forced to run solo I carry a hydration pack, for runs over 3 miles, mostly because I do so much running with the jogger that I'm accustomed to taking water while I'm out. It's my crutch.

So I would recomend the hydration pack for most people who want to carry stuff when they run. The small child isn't a solution that works for everyone.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    For short runs try gum or running in a park that has water fountains.

For long runs my running coaches forbid us from using hendheld water bottles as it throws of our gait and could lead to injuries. If you are not in training for marathon or half marathon though - this might not be an issue for you.

I now use a fuel belt for long runs unless I know there will be water fountains available along my course. I have gotten used to the belf but much prefer running without it. I tend to over pack though - for vacations, for work, for runs and like to have money, keys, chapstick or vaseline, kleenex, gels, and water with me on my runs. It gets heavy :-( I need to work on packing light!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I typically run for less than an hour so I don't feel like I need it, but I still put a bottle of water in my mailbox just in case my mouth/throat gets really dry.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I only just started the C25K and could never make it the 30 minutes without a drink of water here and there. I envy those of you who can! But then I'm constantly needing to drink water, so maybe that's just my biological makeup.

I use one of those little 10oz water bottles that's ergonomically shaped for your hand with the padded strap. I don't really have to hold it since it's strapped onto my hand. 10oz is just what I need to make it through.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I only drink after my runs; but the suggestions from people above ragarding belts/bags etc sound good.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have to run with a water bottle since it is VERY hot and humid here in Houston and I am prone to heat exhaustion. But it is all personal preference.

Heat exhaustion is not related to dehydration.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I tried holding a bottle on my longer runs but I get sick of holding the thing. I finally got a hydration belt with two 6 oz. bottles on it. It's pretty much dead perfect for me. I put the phone in the front zipper, and the gel packs stay in these loops beside the water bottle. 6 oz. is the perfect size to wash down a energy shot and I can finish the entire bottle without feeling full and there's nothing left in the bottle to slosh around while you run.

http://www.ifitnessinc.com/hydration-belt-12oz.html

I'm only using this on my runs over 10 miles for the most part. 6-8 mile runs I don't carry anything with me.

EDIT: I tried grabbing a water cup during the 5k this weekend just for practice and totally failed. I squeezed half the water out of the cup and then the cup slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground. Blame it on a bad hand-off from the race volunteer but that sort of confirmed that I might carry this with me when I do this half even if there is water at the race. I don't want to depend on other people for water.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I use this one.. it's awesome because I don't have to grip it, I just slip my hand in. I hate having them hanging off a belt or my arm so this is perfect.

LU9495S_0001_2?$pdp_main$

LU9495S_0001_3?$pdp_main$
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I run with a CameBak, I really hate running without water. Even in races. It holds my phone and key as well. Hydration belts are good too, I just feel chunky enough around the middle without adding something extra.... = )
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    EDIT: I tried grabbing a water cup during the 5k this weekend just for practice and totally failed. I squeezed half the water out of the cup and then the cup slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground. Blame it on a bad hand-off from the race volunteer but that sort of confirmed that I might carry this with me when I do this half even if there is water at the race. I don't want to depend on other people for water.

There is a specific technique to use when grabbing water during a race. Being able to use this technique depends on two things.

1. Must be a paper cup. Not Styrofoam or plastic.
    2. Volunteer must be holding the cup from the bottom.

When you grab for the cup, make sure you put at least one finger inside the cup. When you have it in your grasp, immediately pinch the top closed to keep the water in. Then drink from the little opening that you created by pinching the cup closed. This may require you to turn your head to the side.

It takes practice, but it works.
  • mmkrieg
    mmkrieg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't carry water on runs shorter than an hour; on longer runs I use a one-bottle Amphipod "Full Tilt". If you get it really good and tight, it doesn't bounce even when the bottle is full, and I have an add-on pouch to hold my cellphone and car keys. The only downside is that the stretchy belt pulls through the buckles a bit, so I'm in the habit of tightening it up and checking it before I start my run.
  • MariahHubert
    MariahHubert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I stick my phone in my bra :tongue:
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have lots of different handeld bottles - different sizes for shorter and longer runs. I have yet to find a waist pack that I like. The only one I find tolerable is the Amphipod, but even that one I prefer the handheld strap instead of the waistpack.

The Fuel Belt handhelds are by far my favorite for carrying just a little water on hot days (http://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-Sprint-10-Ounce-Holder-Pocket/dp/B002OLWX3K)

Also, I know they look dorky, but I love my armband to hold my phone - it frees up my hands for the water bottle and my phone doesn't get all sweaty/salty. My favorite arm band has been the Tuneband (for iphone).
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    How long are you running for?

There's belts you can get that have holders for all sorts of bits and bobs you might need. Or else jackets/ vests with pockets.

Right now only a half hour. Hoping to increase that. I did find a handheld one that the previous poster mentioned, the Nathan hand held. Maybe that could work for me.

Drop the phone and hydrate before. There is really no need to drink liquids during any run under an hour.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I stick my phone in my bra :tongue:
    Fair enough lol