BMR - how much do you listen to it

Options
so the BMR predicts that for my height, age and weight (5ft 6, 19, 164lbs)
i should be eating 2463 calories per day
so this would suggest, if i was to eat 1963 cals per day, i'd be losing weight (1lb a week probably)
but i'm pretty certain this would not be the case, it just seems like too much
and before i started dieting/changing my lifestyle i'm sure i would've been eating about 2500cals a day - leading to me to gaining weight!
so just curious how much everyone actually listens to the BMR ??

Replies

• sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i know what they are i'm just not sure that i trust them haha !
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First off, I am assuming you mean TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), not BMR (basal metabolic rate). BMR is the amount of calories you would need to sustain life. In a coma. And depending on what you put as your activity level that sounds about right to maintain your current weight (2463). I am the same height. I am also pretty active, on my feet most of the day, and work out a lot. If I follow the calculator I used (fat2fitradio.com), it says to eat 2223 calories, which would be my tdee at goal weight.

Again this all depends on your lifestyle though. If I were sedentary, my calories would be way less.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Basicly that is what MFP does for you, it is a dumbed down version of the same info but It does work. I lost over 114 pounds in the last 16 months using MFP numbers. And eatting back exercise calories.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think that if can get quite accurate about it (body fat % is the difficult bit for me - estimates vary so much!) it can certainly give you an approximate figure that you can then experiment with. There are different BMR calculators and some might be closer than others. (Harris-Benedict seems on the high side for me).

You say you gained weight at 2500 calories, but that that was before changing your lifestyle. Maybe the lifestyle change has increased your TDEE (if you added in more activity), in which case you might now maintain at a weight you gained at previously. Or possibly you were eating a little more than 2500 - even a little bit extra is enough to make you gain over time.

I found the BMR/TDEE calculations very useful in understanding why I gained weight without seeming to overeat.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm having the same dilema. My bmr varies so much depending on the calculator, anything up to 300 calories! Scooby gives me 1245 as my bmr and a tdee of only 1494. this is based on a sedentary lifestyle as I basically sit at a desk for 8 hours and then go home, have dinner and get to bed. I've adjusted my cals to 1200 allocated by mfp. I do resistance work 3 x a week in the mornings and add some cals back for that but it's hard to wrok them out. I have also tried eating more and that didn't do much for me either. I'll see how I get on with 1200 plus exercise cals instead of the 1350 plus exercise cals I had been going with for 8 weeks now. I haven't lost any ionches since march which is really frustrating!
  • Vailara
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you would need to sustain life. In a coma. And depending on what you put as your activity level that sounds about right to maintain your current weight (2463).

I hear this an awful lot on here, including in the BMR/TDEE advice threads, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. Obviously loads of people eat below their BMR, either from hour to hour, or from day to day, and don't die, even though they're awake and moving around some of the time.

It seems to me that it might be more accurate to say that your BMR is what you would need to MAINTAIN while in a coma, before you add in the calories you consume from daily activities.

If you go below your BMR you would not be getting enough calories from food to maintain, so would be burning your own body and would lose weight.

But that's actually what most of us are aiming to do - to burn our own body's reserves rather than maintain!

Maybe BMR is a good guideline of a sensible cut-off point so that people can avoid some of the negative effects of dieting. But to say that you will die, your organs will shut down, your metabolism will stop, etc. as is said on these threads - well, we can see that that doesn't normally happen, so I think that may be one reason why people don't trust the information.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you would need to sustain life. In a coma. And depending on what you put as your activity level that sounds about right to maintain your current weight (2463).

I hear this an awful lot on here, including in the BMR/TDEE advice threads, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. Obviously loads of people eat below their BMR, either from hour to hour, or from day to day, and don't die, even though they're awake and moving around some of the time.

It seems to me that it might be more accurate to say that your BMR is what you would need to MAINTAIN while in a coma, before you add in the calories you consume from daily activities.

If you go below your BMR you would not be getting enough calories from food to maintain, so would be burning your own body and would lose weight.

But that's actually what most of us are aiming to do - to burn our own body's reserves rather than maintain!

Maybe BMR is a good guideline of a sensible cut-off point so that people can avoid some of the negative effects of dieting. But to say that you will die, your organs will shut down, your metabolism will stop, etc. as is said on these threads - well, we can see that that doesn't normally happen, so I think that may be one reason why people don't trust the information.

When a person is in a coma, they are tube fed their bmr to sustain organ health. Eventually, if they were routinely fed under bmr, their organs would shut down. I am not saying that is going to happen in the immediate future, but it will happen. Further, not receiving enough calories (of a proper macro mix) will cause bed sores, wounds, and other ailments. Tube feeding supplements are extremely scientifically regimented based on a person's needs. Not receiving this proper amount of nutrition will eventually lead to death. Further, giving just a little over bmr will cause weight gain in that person. There have been plenty of nursing homes fined, sued, and shut down for not giving patients proper nutrients.

In the short term, yes you can survive eating below your bmr. However, your metabolism will slow down. If you maintained that caloric deficit for extended periods of time, you will eventually cause bodily harm. Again, I am not saying that is going to happen immediately. But it will happen. Or, you will eat at a deficit just long enough to lose weight. Then when you go back to eating a proper amount of calories, you will gain weight because you have slowed your metabolism so much.

But hey, your choice. Lose while depriving your body. Or lose while feeding your body proper nutrition. The choice is up to you.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When you eat below BMR you lose muscle and so while you might be losing weight once you reach your goal you will have to eat less calories each day in order to maintain because your metabolism will have slowed down from losing lean body mass. If you eat a little above your BMR you are less likely to lose muscle (you might still lose some but less) so when you reach your goal you will be able to eat more to maintain. I love food and I want to eat more so yes, I pay attention! Usually they say BMR + 20% is the minimum to eat without muscle loss so for me that would be 1505 + 20% = 1806 each day. I am 5'4" 181 pounds and I actually usually eat more than that each day cause I'm pretty active.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When you eat below BMR you lose muscle and so while you might be losing weight once you reach your goal you will have to eat less calories each day in order to maintain because your metabolism will have slowed down from losing lean body mass. If you eat a little above your BMR you are less likely to lose muscle (you might still lose some but less) so when you reach your goal you will be able to eat more to maintain. I love food and I want to eat more so yes, I pay attention! Usually they say BMR + 20% is the minimum to eat without muscle loss so for me that would be 1505 + 20% = 1806 each day. I am 5'4" 181 pounds and I actually usually eat more than that each day cause I'm pretty active.

I eat under my BMR and have maintained lean muscle for months now by lifting heavy. It doesnt hurt to eat under your BMR if you have plenty of fat stores. I check in every month with my dietician so I know what is going on with my stats.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a BMR, but more TDEE. BMR is what you need to sustain if you're literally doing nothing, and TDEE is how much energy you actually burn a day. If you're active enough, that actually sounds about right. A lot of us ate way more than 2500 calories/day to get overweight.

Overall, you need to get rid of the calculators and listen to your body. If that sounds too high, try something lower: aim for 2000 calories. See if you maintain or lose weight. Losing weight? Up it some. Repeat until you found maintenance.
  • Vailara
    Options

When a person is in a coma, they are tube fed their bmr to sustain organ health. Eventually, if they were routinely fed under bmr, their organs would shut down. I am not saying that is going to happen in the immediate future, but it will happen. Further, not receiving enough calories (of a proper macro mix) will cause bed sores, wounds, and other ailments. Tube feeding supplements are extremely scientifically regimented based on a person's needs. Not receiving this proper amount of nutrition will eventually lead to death. Further, giving just a little over bmr will cause weight gain in that person. There have been plenty of nursing homes fined, sued, and shut down for not giving patients proper nutrients.

In the short term, yes you can survive eating below your bmr. However, your metabolism will slow down. If you maintained that caloric deficit for extended periods of time, you will eventually cause bodily harm. Again, I am not saying that is going to happen immediately. But it will happen. Or, you will eat at a deficit just long enough to lose weight. Then when you go back to eating a proper amount of calories, you will gain weight because you have slowed your metabolism so much.

But hey, your choice. Lose while depriving your body. Or lose while feeding your body proper nutrition. The choice is up to you.

That's not really what I'm saying, and I'm not even taking issue with your post in particular - it just so happened that you were repeating something I've seen a lot (and sometimes said more forcefully). I'm not saying people SHOULD eat below their BMR, but that if people keep exaggerating the dangers of it, then other people don't believe/trust the information.

What you'd said was that you need to eat above your BMR to sustain life. I'm just saying that we know that isn't true, because people do eat below their BMRs (sometimes under medical supervision) and normally don't drop dead. In fact, we often go hours and hours without eating, so will have times even in a normal day when your calorie output is quite a lot more than our calorie input. What you say in your second post is that rather than dying, your metabolism slows to accommodate your reduced calories (so your BMR will go down). That's a completely different thing! It's also different to your metabolism stopping altogether, or organ shutdown.

Another thing is that BMR seems a bit arbitrary simply because it's an estimate for most people. Somebody might think they're eating 20 calories above their BMR when they're actually eating 20 calories below it, or vice versa. Would those 20 calories cause them problems? I honestly don't know (although I suspect the transition isn't as dramatic as all that). What if I ate below my BMR a couple of days a week? I don't think I've read anything which clearly explains what happens and when the balance is tipped, whether it matters if it's just occasional, etc.

I'm sure it's a useful figure as a guide (and also that it's possible to get something more accurate than what MFP uses) and I use it myself, but I think it puts people off if the dangers are obviously exaggerated and not explained.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thing is, we were designed to go a very long time with minimal amounts of food. So the whole under bmr problem doesn't sound quite right to me. However I would argue that it is not the lack of calories that is the problem, rather a lack of adequate nutrition. If you don't get enough protein, your body will start to cannabalize your muscles to get it. From what I have learned it is possible to go very low calorie as long as you make sure to get your nutrition in. Also exercise to keep your metabolism up will help prevent your body from stagnating as much.

Personally I have found that as long as I get my protein I don't have as much problems with hunger, now bored eating is my main problem, however with winter being over it will be much easier to get out and about and so I am hoping that it wont be as much of a problem anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand why anyone would want to eat below their BMR...makes no sense...you can eat more than your BMR and lose weight...eat between your BMR and TDEE and you lose weight. Why do idiots like starving their bodies so much on this site? I swear, 80% of MFP is disordered thinking.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand why anyone would want to eat below their BMR...makes no sense...you can eat more than your BMR and lose weight...eat between your BMR and TDEE and you lose weight. Why do idiots like starving their bodies so much on this site? I swear, 80% of MFP is disordered thinking.

It's American Get-Rich-Quick thinking, transported to health management. When we decide to do something about our weight, which has crept up over months or years, we want it all to come off in days.

And we wind up screwing ourselves over, because with massive calorie deficits we slow our metabolisms down so we eat less and still don’t lose as much weight and suffer while we do it. Check all the women’s magazines – there’s no concept of “figure out what you’re burning and eat 500 calories less each day.” There’s just “Follow this 1200-calorie plan exactly to LOSE LOTS FAST!” And that’s what we’ve normalized. And for many people its simply unsustainable as a long-term plan, so when they’re done LOSING LOTS FAST, they return to their previous patterns and their now-damaged metabolisms freak out and pack the weight back on.
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Those numbers are really just estimates....I have seen cases of actual BMR's being hundreds below the what the calculator says.
    I know my BMR/TDEE is lower than it should be, and I eat accordingly.

I'm petite, I don't need much food, I do not need to eat 8 times a day or whatever. I lift heavy, I do cardio, I eat clean, below my "BMR". Otherwise, I gain. That's just the way MY body works.

Weight loss is trial and error, you can't just expect some numbers shot out of a computer to work for everyone. Gotta figure out what works for you :)
  • Vailara
    Options

It's probably just because people are following the MFP system (if I was using the MFP system, my net calories would be below what I think my BMR is).
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I eat under my BMR and have maintained lean muscle for months now by lifting heavy. It doesnt hurt to eat under your BMR if you have plenty of fat stores. I check in every month with my dietician so I know what is going on with my stats.
    I think you must be an exception, this is not common. But well done for you! That is the holy grail right there!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    so the BMR predicts that for my height, age and weight (5ft 6, 19, 164lbs)
    i should be eating 2463 calories per day
    so this would suggest, if i was to eat 1963 cals per day, i'd be losing weight (1lb a week probably)
    but i'm pretty certain this would not be the case, it just seems like too much
    and before i started dieting/changing my lifestyle i'm sure i would've been eating about 2500cals a day - leading to me to gaining weight!
    so just curious how much everyone actually listens to the BMR ??
    1 year ago, I had this same mentatlity. Then I decided to listen to the hundreds of successful people on here, and guess what? They were right. It works. Just do it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

It's American Get-Rich-Quick thinking, transported to health management. When we decide to do something about our weight, which has crept up over months or years, we want it all to come off in days.

And we wind up screwing ourselves over, because with massive calorie deficits we slow our metabolisms down so we eat less and still don’t lose as much weight and suffer while we do it. Check all the women’s magazines – there’s no concept of “figure out what you’re burning and eat 500 calories less each day.” There’s just “Follow this 1200-calorie plan exactly to LOSE LOTS FAST!” And that’s what we’ve normalized. And for many people its simply unsustainable as a long-term plan, so when they’re done LOSING LOTS FAST, they return to their previous patterns and their now-damaged metabolisms freak out and pack the weight back on.
    This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I lost 72 lbs 10 years ago, following a too low calorie diet. I kept it off for about 2 years and then slowly gained it all back, plus another 15. It seemed like I gained a pound if I even LOOKED at food. I could barely eat anything without gaining weight because I had screwed up my metabolism so bad.

This time, I am doing it the RIGHT and HEALTHY way, so I can keep it off in the long term.