Cross Fit newbie

Options
Ok, so I’m ready to take my fitness to the next level. I’ve seen tons of cross fit post on here so if you are going to bash please don’t comment at all. I just wanted some words of encouragement, pointers or suggestions for someone who is starting out. I met my weight loss goal, but now I’m just trying to tone this body up.

So I guess this post is for beginners and advanced people. I really don’t know where else to go in my fitness journey and to me this seems like a logical choice. I know plenty of people who love everything about cross fit. So can anyone give me some pointers or their own personal experience with cross fit?

I pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to find a box and join but I just love to read about everyone else's experiences.

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the ungodly expense is the only thing keeping me away. 180 a month is more like a car payment then a gym membership.

my plan is to go for a month or two, get my feet wet, learn good powerlifting technique and then just do the WOD at home.

I'm pretty sure i'll end up falling in love and forking over 180 a month tho lol.

most people on this site seem to think that your not doing cross fit unless you are in a box. I honestly thought the majority of crossfitters were doing it at home.
  • nashai01
    Options
    I was worried about the price too, but everytime I see the results that others get. I think I have to try it. I'm gonig to try for 2 months and see how it goes :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    if you've never done p90x or any other beachbody dvd program, i'd highly recommend giving that a try too.

much cheaper and it was a substantial step up in training intensity and diversity for me.
  • nashai01
    Options
    I did Insanity about almost two summers ago. I do love beachbody's dvds. I've done some of Brazil Butt Lift. Turbo Jam, and slim in 6. I completed the full Insanity program though.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    cross fit here you come then ;)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I joined a gym that do crossfit and they want to add another £20pm to my dd to cover the cost of the classes... I think I will stick to 5x5

Have you thought about stronglifts 5x5 or anything like that?
  • nashai01
    Options
    I joined a gym that do crossfit and they want to add another £20pm to my dd to cover the cost of the classes... I think I will stick to 5x5

Have you thought about stronglifts 5x5 or anything like that?

I keep hearing about strong lifts, but have not looked into it yet. I'm going to have to look it up.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started the Crossfit foundations classes last week and I absolutely love it. I'd been contemplating CF for a while and decided to give it a go. A majority of the workouts use your core and they are an AMAZING workout.

I am always eager to learn new things and you really have to be 100% committed; and it looks like you are judging by the completion of other workouts.

Give the foundation classes a try (usually two weeks where they teach you all of the movements), you will learn real quick if CF is for you.

As far as the $; I see it as an investment in myself. I cut out other things in my life to make up for the cost of Crossfit.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Thanks, I noticed everyone talks about the money but I'm not worried about the money. I look at it the same way as you, money well spent. I'm going to start May 1st. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the responses.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Crossfit because my husband wanted to. Fortunately for me, it is cheaper here than it seems to be elsewhere.
    I was very careful, I spoke to a lot of people and checked out the gym before joining. The owner and his wife are both instructors and were formerly lifters, they are big on form. I've heard some terrible things about cross fit and form, I have no issue with this box.
    I love it. Its hard but every workout is scaleable. I also really like the group atmosphere (not everyone is into that). My first real class, after the on ramp, I was blown away. I'm pretty shy but was talking to everyone by the end. They were super supportive.
    Its definitely something you could take away and do on your own, but I personally like the group thing.
  • nashai01
    Options
    I recently tried Crossfit because my husband wanted to. Fortunately for me, it is cheaper here than it seems to be elsewhere.
    I was very careful, I spoke to a lot of people and checked out the gym before joining. The owner and his wife are both instructors and were formerly lifters, they are big on form. I've heard some terrible things about cross fit and form, I have no issue with this box.
    I love it. Its hard but every workout is scaleable. I also really like the group atmosphere (not everyone is into that). My first real class, after the on ramp, I was blown away. I'm pretty shy but was talking to everyone by the end. They were super supportive.
    Its definitely something you could take away and do on your own, but I personally like the group thing.

See i like the group thing as well, I'm getting excited thanks to all of you. I just need to transform this body. I'm sure cross fit will help with that.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    interested in the group thing myself.

i know i probably sounds creepy or pathetic, but probably the biggest reason i go to the gym at this point is to meet someone. I get a much better workout in at home, and i really don't go to bars or any other social settings so its really the only place i see new faces.

but i'm really shy and i NEVER open my mouth i was just hoping to make some new casual aquaintances anyway.
  • gmoguel
    gmoguel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the CrossFit, I've tried it before and it's great if you can find the right gym. Just go at your own pace. Let us know how it goes!
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    I'm 4 months in doing crossfit and absolutely love it. I'm at a great box and my strength and form has improved tremendously. As mentioned above, do your best to make sure you are going to a quality box.
    -Try to go to a box that has an intro program (usually referred to as on ramp, elements, foundations, etc)
    -During the intro and once you dive into the full group, pay attention to a few things. Do they just randomly pick WODs? Do they make sure form is the biggest priority? Do they work with you to scale the workout to your level? Is there a strength portion of the class before the conditioning portion? What is the experience level of the coaches?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    interested in the group thing myself.

i know i probably sounds creepy or pathetic, but probably the biggest reason i go to the gym at this point is to meet someone. I get a much better workout in at home, and i really don't go to bars or any other social settings so its really the only place i see new faces.

but i'm really shy and i NEVER open my mouth i was just hoping to make some new casual aquaintances anyway.

I have gone to the gym for years and never spoken to anyone I didn't know. In crossfit, its a different atmosphere. Sometimes you have to work together, like when you are doing practice lifts at the beginning, sometimes you need to share a rack with someone (which is what happened my first time). People tend to introduce themselves and if you go with the same group, you are bound to start to get to know them. I've only been there a month and know a lot more people by name than I ever had at my regular gym.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I joined crossfit as the house was immaculate and I was bored of doing house work when I wasn't working and needed to tone up, and encourage the weight loss along further. Hubby is ex army, fit and wanted to learn to cook. So he's learning to cook and I'm learning to get fit. We quit our gym as that was the budget for the social life (which it wasn't) and I joined crossfit. We have bought him (us) P90X for the moment and he may also decide to crosffit in time. I am making more new friends each time I go so this is healthier too. At 55gbp per month it seems a bargain for such a significant lifestyle gain.

I don't think you will regret it for a second. Expect your body to ache daily, and expect to sweat to see results. Also expect to have a great time and learn to relax to re energize. Great choice! :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    this is getting me excited to join. I have some more plans though, want to do p90x at least once more, finish aslyum 2 and do it at least once more. also trying my best to save as much as possible so the money is an issue for me no matter how you slice it.

what about competing? do the boxes participate in such things? depends on the box? do you have to be a member of a box to compete?

and for those that do crossfit, do you do any other workouts outside of crossfit? i mean like regularly.
  • nashai01
    Options
    I joined crossfit as the house was immaculate and I was bored of doing house work when I wasn't working and needed to tone up, and encourage the weight loss along further. Hubby is ex army, fit and wanted to learn to cook. So he's learning to cook and I'm learning to get fit. We quit our gym as that was the budget for the social life (which it wasn't) and I joined crossfit. We have bought him (us) P90X for the moment and he may also decide to crosffit in time. I am making more new friends each time I go so this is healthier too. At 55gbp per month it seems a bargain for such a significant lifestyle gain.

I don't think you will regret it for a second. Expect your body to ache daily, and expect to sweat to see results. Also expect to have a great time and learn to relax to re energize. Great choice! :)

How have your results been so far?
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just make sure form is not compromised and you'll be fine. I recommend CF. For me it was the most horrible yet wonderful feeling I've ever had after a workout. If that makes sense. I do the WOD's at home. Best Wishes to you on your Fitness journey.