Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

changed intake according to TDEE

For those of you who have changed your caloric intake from what MFP suggests to your TDEE, have you noticed any difference? I am changing mine to 1590 as I was informed to take my TDEE minus 20% and go with that. I have been eating at 1200 for a year now, but seems I am only maintaining at this point and not losing anymore. I have about 10 lbs to go and would appreciate any (nice) feedback! Thanks.

Replies

• foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    I couldn't possibly stay at the 1400 calories MFP suggested for me when I joined. Always ate over. I've had it set with a TDEE number for several months now. Most importantly, it's a number I can achieve, but I am also seeing progress.

Remember that your exercise calories are now already planned for so you don't want to eat back what you burn.

Check out the MFP group Eat More to Weigh Less for more info.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    I have read those posts. Thank you for your feedback! I'm excited to see if this helps over this next month!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Yes - I started eating at TDEE minus 20% about a year ago - BEST success I've had has been since making the switch. I hit goal weight, lost a LOT of fat and inches, and am now at TDEE minus 10-15% because I'm still lowering body fat percentage.

I used the info & tools in this topic for my settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Since you only have 10 pounds to lose, you do not need to be at such a deficit. Try tdee- 15 or 10%. You may gain a little at first but will even out. Just stick with it. Good luck!
  • sebachie
    sebachie Posts: 70 Member
    I just switch my MFP to TDEE minus 10 since I have about 10 more pounds to get to goal. I pray that this gets me moving since I've been stuck since January. I also ate at 1200 for over 2 years so I know this is going to take a little longer to repair but in the long run it's going to be a healthy change. GL!
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    I have a problem with TDEE. The calculation does not seem right to me. I am 41 year old male, 227lbs, I have a desk job, however I workout 6 days a week 2 sometimes 3 hours a day. I worked out 11 hours last week and that is probably 5 hours lower than what I usually do. I also use a hrm to calculate my calories burned not MFP to calculate. The hrm calculates a lot lower calorie burn than mfp. In addition, mfp has me eating 1780 calories. I usually eat about 2000 calories a day. Somedays more, somedays less. It all depends on if I am hungry, but for the most part I am around 1780 - 2200 calories consumed for the day. Last week I averaged 2,256 a day. I hardly ever eat back all of my exercise calories. I also have started eating more cleanly these days. When I have a salad it is without dressing. I do not eat processed food as much as I have in the past. I have given up on whey because it is processed. I get all of my protein from food, no supplements. I do not drink soda or diet soda. I haven't had a diet soda in almost 2 months. The calculation from http://scoobysworkshop.com seems high. TDEE is 3922 calories - 20% = 3138. I would enjoy eating that much, but I know I wouldn't lose weight. According to everything I have read if I eat at TDEE - 20% I will see results. I am currently losing fat. My body is getting smaller, but I am staying the same weight. I know I have been putting muscle on, but shouldn't I start losing weight again on the scale? What gives?