Emotional eaters?!

Options

Replies

• greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get over my emotional eating and I still struggle with it at times. I mainly just tried to redefine my relationship with food and teach myself that reaching for the bag of chips or ice cream wouldn't make me feel any better, it would actually make me feel worse. I also replaced it with exercise and now if I am feeling stressed or upset I just go for a run and feel so much better!

It's actually really strange, I've been dealing with some emotional stuff lately and before MFP I would have drowned my sorrows in junk without a second thought, but now I really do not even want to, which is great but, it's a weird feeling. I always used to deal with things by eating and know I am faced with not knowing how to deal with things. It takes time, but you'll get there!
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    I think we go through things sometimes that make us fall back into our old habits. But it is important to remember what is important to you so that you can gain your composure, move on and rectify the problem so you don't go backwards too far into yesterday fo rtoday and tomorrow.
  • xvegivorex
    Options
    I have a terrible time with emotional eating. But I try to take a deep breath and be intentional about what I'm doing before I grab the candy, cookies, chips or whatever I'm craving. I ask myself if I really want to add those calories today when I've worked so hard at getting fit. I also tell myself to focus on something else---like exercising or doing a chore and just try to delay the gratification for ten minutes or thirty minutes. It seems to help. I'm not saying I'm always successful, but it does help to tell myself no because each time it gets easier. And the more intentional or thoughtful I am about eating something, the more likely I am to choose something healthy. I also try not to eat "fun" foods when doing anything else (e.g. watching t.v., surfing the web), because the mindlessness of it makes me eat more. When I think about what I'm doing when I eat a comfort food and stay in the moment doing it, I'm less likely to over-indulge and more likely to enjoy the treat rather than feel guilty. I also find looking at the nutritional information before I eat something helps a lot because then I have to think about all the fat, calories, etc. I'll be consuming. And sometimes I even go through what the pay off for those calories is. For example, I could have a 140 calorie greek yogurt that gives me protein and calcium or a 140 calorie cookie that gives me no nutritional value at all. Again, it helps me be more intentional about what I'm doing. Hopefully this advice helps! Good luck!

This ^^^

I know it can be tough to remember all of that - but I know whenever I am busy (chores, work, classes) i don't binge. And I try to NEVER eat while doing other things (tv watching, internet surfing, even Kindle reading) - because it takes my focus off the fact that iv'e just eaten a sandwich - so i go fix another, and then another… :/
  • xvegivorex
    Options
    Emotional eating can be my big downfall. Today, I just took the dog and went for a walk even though it was snowy and windy as I felt myself losing control. Mainly, I try not to have much in the house and if it is available I keep it put away so I don't see it.

That is what I think I am going to have to do. Make myself do something other than snack. It is hard though... So much easier to just eat.

It can be so much 'easier to eat' at times. Like at night when you've been up and you're ready for that 'fourth' meal, like the 'path of least resistance' i think with me i've been binge eating for so many years it's like i dont know any other coping mechanisms- or i do but i 'prefer' to eat cuz it 'placates' me more, if that makes sense?
  • jbum68
    jbum68 Posts: 23
    Options
    I would eat badly when stressed or storing up too much anger; I just wasn't in the mood to make something that is healthy when the quick and tasty is available and they take debit cards. Now that I've been working out steadily and able to put some of that energy to the weights or run it helps. One thing I grab to fight off the "hey, let's eat a sandwich for a snack" is those dum-dum suckers. It lasts a while, only 20 cal, and I can gnaw on the paper stick when done (that's what I did when I quit smoking, dum-dums, toothpicks, and coffee stir sitcks). Now that I'm seeing some results I can stop and say "do I want to undo all the exercise and salads?" It helps me to refocus.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What I really hate is the fact (yes fact) that eating simple carbohydrates like sugar or white flour-based stuffs does, in fact, make a person feel better. For roughly 32 seconds. That burst of serotonin is an instant mood lifter. For roughly 32 seconds. And then I'm left with an empty box, cupcake remorse, and a new an special kind of misery that just compounds whatever misery I was trying to eat my way out of in the first place.

BUT

Lately, I've been able to stop myself from drowning out whatever ugly emotions I'm slammed with by using food. I honestly don't know what finally clicked, I wish I did so I could tell the whole freakin' world. What I do know, is that after being on the Feed the Feelings rollercoaster for 30 some odd years, I'm finally able to step away and know, in my bones, that the food only makes it worse. It's hard to put on my big girl panties and deal with things, but I'd rather do that than die of a cupcake overdose.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One thing that my boyfriend shared with me was try snacking on peanuts (you *can* use mixed nuts, but straight peanuts have more protein); as you snack on the peanuts, your body gets the protein it needs and then signals you that it has enough, hence the 'full' feeling. Whereas tasty junk food breaks down into nothing but sugar and disappears, so you eat so many calories that essentially just spike your blood sugar and then disappear from your stomach, leaving you still hungry. I've found that it helps me :)

I used to have a HUGE emotional eating problem; I grew up with an abusive Dad and was bullied at school for being fat, so my coping mechanism was to turn to food. I would eat when I got depressed, I would eat with I got angry, I would eat when I was bored (especially when I was bored...). That's how I got to 374 pounds at age 24. I know it's hard, but the point I want to share with you is that do NOT expect yourself to be perfect at stopping the emotional eating straight off the bat. Try your hardest, and if you mess up, DON'T beat yourself up needlessly; simply use that as motivation to work harder. Start over the next day and don't hold yesterday over your head. Another tip I can give you is to not entirely cut out those more junky foods you love; indulge every once in a while, but only a small portion (do NOT just eat straight out of the package!!!) This will help keep down your cravings if you have a little bit but don't over-indulge. My personal thing is chocolate, I LOVE it! So what I try and do is if I feel a chocolate craving coming on, I keep the fun size bars around so I'll have one, maybe two of the fun size bars and that satisfies my craving, BUT I didn't go on a crazy chocolate eating binge.

So to sum things up...
    Try snacking on peanuts or mixed nuts that give you protein.
    Do NOT expect yourself to be perfect!
    Do NOT let yesterday keep you from trying your best today!
    Indulge in your favorite snacks in SMALL portions every once in a while as a treat.
    Do NOT snack straight out of the bag; take out your small portion and put the package away!
    Above all, remember that some days you will be better than others, and that's OK! As long as you tried your best, you are doing awesome! Some days your 'best' will be great, some days it will be just Ok, but the point is that you tried your best.

Stay strong and keep on truckin'! :)

Amanda
  • cayman05
    cayman05 Posts: 5
    Options
    There is such an emotional aspect about food. And some foods are like drugs. For the emotional eating I try to get what is spinning in my head and overwhelming me out. It maybe as simple as writing it down and seeing that it is not the difficult when listed out. Or maybe I am trying to do too and I need to make changes. Other times it not the number of tasks rather it is one thing I need/ should to do and am just avoiding it and spinning it bigger and bigger in my head. It's a little harder to recognize because my brain is so good at making me avoid it....like all of sudden cleaning out the closet is more important than what I know I should be doing.

As far as the drug aspect of food is concerned, it is sugar for me. I need to cut it out completely for about a week. Then it is easier to say no. I have stayed off sugar for over a year, but when ever I go back it creeps into usual eating and I pay the consequences. Right now I am paying those consequences and know I need to cut it out completely and stop lying to myself.
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea was a godsend for me in university. I suggest a good strong tea, Celestial Seasonings has a Bengal Spice tea as well as Cinnamon Apple. I describe both of those teas as "beefy" :tongue: Also you can put a little milk in them for creaminess if you like.

I also found this recipe yesterday, planning on making them tomorrow!
    http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/14606034/jillian-michaels-low-calorie-brownies/
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea was a godsend for me in university. I suggest a good strong tea, Celestial Seasonings has a Bengal Spice tea as well as Cinnamon Apple. I describe both of those teas as "beefy" :tongue: Also you can put a little milk in them for creaminess if you like.

I also found this recipe yesterday, planning on making them tomorrow!
    http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/14606034/jillian-michaels-low-calorie-brownies/

Tea & brownies, perfect foods for those emotional times! Especially when it's cold out.
  • AngCS16
    AngCS16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am totally an emotional eater - doesn't really matter the emotion, it's a good reason for a snack. I have started to plan out how long I would have to work out to make up for that snack and if it's worth it. If I choose the snack, I do the workout. Works most days :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am when stressed (like today) hell when the hubby deployed i went from 130- 185 it was aweful
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    I get like this from time to time (when I'm not in control) and I combat it with having only healthy things around. Things that fill me up but come out quickly... fruits and nuts. It's better at least. Then four cookies and a whatever the hell else I would grab before. More cookies! haha
  • ninouche76
    ninouche76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, glad to see I'm not alone! When I read Sarahg148, I was like oh my god, it's me talking!
    I've lost 4 lbs since I've started mfp, even workouts seem pointless because every night I have to fill the gap of boredom, stress etc...
  • CatoftheCanals_
    Options
    Ya'll are great! All of these tips and the stories from people dealing with the same thing help me know that I am not the only one fighting this! But I am determined not to let it get me down! Gotta keep on moving! :) Literally!
  • purplestarburst
    Options
    I'm an advocate for not keeping tempting food in my house. However, I also curse at Domino's pizza for having a very easy online purchasing system. Never easy. Best of luck, you're definitely not alone.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    YEP! I do this... as a matter of fact I did it yesterday! The good news is, I threw away all the junk food in my house so there's only good stuff to "snack on". So, yesterday when I was looking for something i ate fruit instead of cookies. I'm just too lazy to make a special trip to the store for food, thankfully.

I've been trying lately just to drink water or tea when I have the urge instead of eating. I also keep the sugar free extra gum on hand (the kind that comes in yummy flavors) so I have something to chew on until it passes.

Good luck!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    1) Don't keep it in the house. If you decide to buy it, buy in small quantities. I used to kid myself that a whole box of cookies would last me a week or more... that never happens. But if it's not in the house, then there's nothing to reach for.

2) When there's absolutely nothing in the house that you're craving and you're upset -- work out. You won't want to, but just suck it up and DO it -- I guarantee you'll feel better once you're done, even if it's just a 10 minute walk.

3) Try to figure out what might be causing the stress / upset that makes you want to eat bad stuff, and address that. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough protein? Are your eating or sleeping patterns irregular? Is your job stressing you out? Being aware of WHY you want to eat will be just as helpful as stopping yourself from doing it.

Good luck!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    OMG this was sooooo what I did. Tuck the kids into bed, pass the fridge, grab a handful of something bad and walk into the other room to sit down. Yeap.

One day I finally caught myself and it was if I had woken up. I put the junk down and grabbed water. It was VERY strange how one day I realized what I had been doing. I broke that habit a while ago, but sometimes I catch myself trying to grab "a little something." I just try to be more aware, and put it back.

What a tough habit to break. =) Recognizing it is the first step. lol
  • eschoon88
    eschoon88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lifelong Emotional eater here!!!!

25 years of seeking solace in the fridge has taught me a few things: most importantly, I recognize food triggers like when I'm bored or upset/stressed. The boredom trigger is an easy fix--I usually just go for a walk around the square in the town I live in or go bug my fiance'. Upset eating is MUCH hard to control, and it's taken me so long to figure out why. It started when I began noticing that I wanted to eat buckets of horrible food whenever I was upset about my family (for example, trying to talk to my father when our relationship has been strained for 8 years). I didn't feel any love there so I was compensating by getting some sort of feeling (even guilt at eating) from food. I know that's really cliche' psychological, but it's helped me get help and discover new ways of destressing and the stress eating has stopped.