Am I crazy?!?!

Options
prjoy98
prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
So I'm running my first half marathon on the 28th and then a week after there's another one in Frederick, MD. If I run both I get medals for both and a "special" medal. I keep looking at the one for May 5th and I AM SO TEMPTED to register!!!!:bigsmile:
This is the blurb on the website:

Take The Second Annual 2013 "Titanium Girl" Challenge The Athleta Iron Girl Columbia ½ Marathon and the Frederick Running Festival have teamed up once again to offer women the ultimate endurance test. Finish both half marathons in the span of one week and you will earn the prestigious title of Titanium Girl 2013! Yours to keep will be an awesome 2013 Titanium Girl medal and exclusive bragging rights!

HAS ANYONE BEEN successful in running back to back 1/2 marathons?!?!?!? Feedback needed asap!!

Replies

• themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - train hard, don't lose focus, and you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have you ever run a 1/2 before? If so, how did you feel? That's what I would base it on

I just ran a 1/2 on Saturday and I honestly feel awesome and feel like I would be able to do it again IF the courses weren't too hard. Will I do it? Heck no, but I feel like I could. LOL Good luck deciding!
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe mildly nutty, but not crazy :-)

I completely agree with Valerie, if you're run one before and recovered okay, you're probably good to go.

If you've done one before, after the first half I'd take a couple days off and maybe do a little light cross training (biking/spin and/or weights). Then get in a couple easy runs, say 45 minutes or so .... Just get out there and keep things loose. You won't lose any fitness, trust me.

Then treat yourself and get a massage a couple days before the 2nd 1/2.

Oh yeah, nutrition during the week between will be huge. Get plenty of protein after the first 1/2, and stay hydrated the rest of the week. And make sure you get in some antioxidants to keep any inflammation down (e.g., berries, etc.)

Good luck!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So to answer your questions..>NO.. :laugh:
    This is my first half...have never been a runner until the last year or so. The course for the second one is supposed to be way easier than the first which is why I am not really scared and so TEMPTED to do it!! Plus the medal is cool!! :bigsmile:
    Ive been following the last 7 weeks a 1/2 marathon training guide and with all the hills around my house my pace has been between 10 and 11min/miles. The time to complete each is 3:40 and 3:30 respectively.
  • vogelcm
    vogelcm Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't think you're crazy :-) I'm actually registered for both 1/2s in my first attempt to do the Titanium Girl Challenge. I've done one half prior to this and two fulls and I tend to have problems with runner's knee but I'm still going to give it a shot. If you can even run/walk the race courses at a decent clip, you'll be able to complete this challenge with no problem :-) GO FOR IT!
  • di819
    di819 Posts: 2
    Options
    You are not crazy. You can finish the second one but remember that your body is still recover from the first so your time will be slower than normal. Running it at easy pace will prevent injury too.