Do you hold a water bottle when you run?

Options

Replies

• joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't take water for anything less than an hour and a half. Actually, I never take water, but on my longer runs, I loop back to my car about once an hour for a sip. For a 30 minute run, you should be fine without water. However, like others have said, a belt is your best bet. I'd also recommend an arm band for that phone. I can't imagine carrying my phone instead of wearing it :-)

My exact thoughts.
  • jkgeddes
    jkgeddes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to hold a water bottle but then I noticed I was getting off balance on one side. If you watch people that run with something in their hand...that arm does not move the same. I now use a belt for water on long runs and put phone in there also or on an arm band.
  • jaskthotmail
    Options
    I don't take anything with me unless I run more than 2 hours. Your body won't give out on you if you don't drink or eat anything for 2 hours. I just refuel after my run.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always pop in a piece of gum and put on my burt's bees lip balm. I am fine for over an hour.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    No. Drink before and after.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I hate running belts, I run with a Nathan QuickDraw Plus.

Comfortable hand strap, pouch to hold my key and GU if I'm doing long runs, don't even notice it after the first long run with it.

Typically don't carry anything though unless doing an hour though. For those who said they run with nothing for half marathons and longer doesn't your performance start to suffer if you don't fuel/hydrate?
  • reginadelmundo
    Options
    I never hold a water bottle when I run! It throws off my rhythm. I just make sure to drink water consistently all morning before I go, then I replenish when I am done running.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I wonder why people feel the need to question why she wants to bring water or tell her she shouldn't "need" water.

I suggest one of the bottles that straps around your hand. I am looking into one of these myself.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I used to run with a camelback 8oz bottle until I got sick of lugging it around for an hour plus. I started making sure I hydrated big time up to 2hrs before a run, and then bringing a couple of pieces of gum, or hard candy along with me, just so my mouth won't dry out. Maybe give it a shot?
  • Wfrazee2004
    Options
    Absolutely, water is a must while I walk. Running its even more vital. Your body has to stay hydrated if you are doing this for more than 20 minutes - as you should, to gain the cardio benefit.

My solution here is a poor one, my phone goes in the pocket which has my music and tracking app, I use sport headphones with a longer cord. Part of the reason for this is sadly my arm is too big around for most armbands to fit comfortably. Some of its muscle, but lets be honest, some of its chubbiness that I am working to lose!

Anyway, I use a simple $3 Gatorade bottle from the local sporting goods store because its simple and if I clogg a nozzle with my protein powder or gunk it up over time with coconut water mixed in or whatever, I don't have to care. I keep several on hand, they can go in the dishwasher, and they are semi-disposable at that price.

If its bad weather, I have invested in a treadmill and elliptical in the basement, if its good weather, walks and free runs outdoors are MUCH preferred, and I need water either way!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say you don't 'need' water if it's less than 1 hr or 30 min or w/e but I don't even leave the house w/o water in the summer. I live in phoenix and it's dry and it's hot and yes I run. How I carry depends on what I am doing.

However first and most important I got an armband for my phone. So I can run free if I have time to either stop at my car for the water (in a cooler) or I'm running circles around the track and can pick it up as I lap.

If I'm trail running and can't get back to the car and it's more than 45 min I wont hold the bottle I'll wear a small tight camel pack. It's easier to run with the camel pack than that annoying belt with clip on waters. I don't know why, but that bothers me. My water bottle is a britta filter one that has a little finger hole so I can carry it with a finger and not clench my fists.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do not I do a 6-8 mile loop and at the half way is a drinking fountain if needed. I normally dont feel the need until it gets HOTTTT.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I wonder why people feel the need to question why she wants to bring water or tell her she shouldn't "need" water.

The general public has been fooled into thinking that they NEED to have fluids during exercise, when the reality is that the body is designed to dehydrate during work bouts and then to replenish itself afterward, usually at meal time. The suggestions about hydration that have been made in the "Gatorade Era" have all come from studies that were backed by the large beverage companies. The studies have been poorly structured and the ensuing data has been interpreted to coincide with the beverage industry's agenda. It has been until relatively recently that these findings have been challenged by true exercise physiologists. Their persistence in this venue got the recommendation to "drink as much as is possible" change to "drink to thirst". This was within the last decade.

I suggest that you search for "Tim Noakes - Waterlogged". His book exposes this in great detail. There used to be a nice excerpt from the book on Running Times website, but when they merged the website with Runner's World, I lost it. So, you're own your own to find it. It's out there.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Several possibilities:

Nathan Hand-Held. It's a water bottle with a strap that goes over your hand so you don't drop it. Strap has a pocket that might fit your phone.

Water belt. Come in many varieties, from ones that carry one regular-sized bottle at your back, to many little bottles arranged around you to distribute the weight evenly. Many have pouches to carry keys, gels, or whatever.

Bike jersey with pockets in the back. If the pockets are deep enough (they usually are, except for one of mine), one of the smaller flattish bottles that goes with the water belts I mentioned above will fit snugly at the small of my back. The pockets are also great for gels (or other snacks), keys, or whatever you need to carry.

Hydration pack. Again, lots of variety. These hold a bladder of water on your back, and are really meant for when you're going to be out for hours. But they can also be useful for 1-2 hour runs when it's miserably hot out. Most also have pockets.

Some people also park their car where they can run loops that pass it every so often, so they can stash water in their car. Or do the same with their house. Or carry money and design their route to run past a convenience store. Or run in parks where there are water fountains. Lots of possibilities!

^^^I like this answer! I'm a little off-put by the "you don't need water for a run less than <blank>". Everyone's different. I haven't started running outdoors yet because I'm fine on my treadmill, but it's not for everybody. However, I drink anywhere from 16-64 oz during a 95m session. Just for giggles, I tried a 70+m session without any water whatsoever and took before/after weight. I sweat so profusely, even with a fan right in front of me, that I lost more than 7lbs! I already have issues where my BP can drop very low even when properly hydrated and this one test made it wayyy worse, so I've never done another session without at least 28 oz in reach. Several times since then I've taken before/after weights while holding the water bottle to see net change regardless of water intake. On average, I still lose up to 2 lbs even when I drink a lot of water.

In summary to the OP, do what works for you.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    There is a specific technique to use when grabbing water during a race. Being able to use this technique depends on two things.

1. Must be a paper cup. Not Styrofoam or plastic.
    2. Volunteer must be holding the cup from the bottom.

When you grab for the cup, make sure you put at least one finger inside the cup. When you have it in your grasp, immediately pinch the top closed to keep the water in. Then drink from the little opening that you created by pinching the cup closed. This may require you to turn your head to the side.

It takes practice, but it works.

It was a paper cup but I didn't grab it like you described. and just crushed the cup and then overcompensated and lost it. Putting a finger in the cup sounds like a great plan. Great advice. I have one more 5k before this half. I'll see if I can get it down this time. I think I'll still wear that 12 oz belt but it would be nice to be able to grab an extra sip if I want it towards the end.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    For distance people, has anyone successfully gotten a GU down their throats without water? Just curious...heard it could be done, not trying to find out personally.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For distance people, has anyone successfully gotten a GU down their throats without water? Just curious...heard it could be done, not trying to find out personally.

yep.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The general public has been fooled into thinking that they NEED to have fluids during exercise, when the reality is that the body is designed to dehydrate during work bouts and then to replenish itself afterward, usually at meal time. The suggestions about hydration that have been made in the "Gatorade Era" have all come from studies that were backed by the large beverage companies. The studies have been poorly structured and the ensuing data has been interpreted to coincide with the beverage industry's agenda. It has been until relatively recently that these findings have been challenged by true exercise physiologists. Their persistence in this venue got the recommendation to "drink as much as is possible" change to "drink to thirst". This was within the last decade.

I suggest that you search for "Tim Noakes - Waterlogged". His book exposes this in great detail. There used to be a nice excerpt from the book on Running Times website, but when they merged the website with Runner's World, I lost it. So, you're own your own to find it. It's out there.

This. Preferring to have water is one thing, fine, but you don't really "need" it.
    I really thought I needed it. Once I started going without, I realized that I really didn't. It is much easier to run without it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

yep.

I thought you were supposed to take water with it. I tried out GU on my last long run and was fine getting it down without water, but drank water with it. I like the chews but then I need water. My mouth gets all sour (I don't know how to describe it) and I feel like I have to rinse it when I have the chews. I think I prefer the GU gel.