Ab Ripper X? Bodyrock?

Options
Anyone out there tried either of these? What are your comments, are they worth doing?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there tried either of these? What are your comments, are they worth doing?

They both work for what they are:

Ab Ripper X is an ab-specific workout that is meant to supplement P90X due to the fact that the majority of the P90X strength workouts are done via isolation training, which does not work the core much. A program based more on compound lifts (which is not feasible to market for home use due to the higher amounts of weight required as well as the necessity for a squat rack) would not necessarily need it. It does not burn a significant amount of calories.

Bodyrock is the old name for what is now known as The Daily HIIT, which posts full body workouts done in a circuit training format that mainly use bodyweight but other implements are required as well. The name changed over a dispute when Zuzanna (the woman who used to model the workouts and helped designed them) left the company after personal differences with the owner (who, I believe, was her boyfriend/husband, but I could be wrong). She has since then formed her own channel called ZWOW/Zuzka Light. IMO Her workouts are better than the newer Bodyrock/Daily HIIT stuff. Not as much equipment is required. The workouts are structured in a manner that is similar to the Insanity workout program, but the workouts are shorter and place a greater emphasis on rest between sets (which invariably makes them less injury prone/safer).

Both of these work for their intended goals.

EDIT: If you plan on doing Zuzanna's workouts (which are GREAT workouts), expect to have to modify. She likes high impact work, she loves her burpees, and she loves her pistol squats, which are a bodyweight squat variation that requires an insane amount of balance and flexibility to pull off.
  • kayla_892
    kayla_892 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks! I have heard good things about both and have been thinking of incorporating the ab workout in with my daily workouts.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your daily workouts are it may not be necessary to incorporate additional ab work and may even be counterproductive.
  • kayla_892
    kayla_892 Posts: 30
    Options
    The only thing I really do for my abs are crunches and bicycles. I mostly do leg and arm work.