Life Expectancy of a Heart Rate Monitor...

Options
I have a Polar FT60 heart rate monitor that is 2.5 years old. I wear it 6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day. I take it off as soon as I am done working out and rinse the strap. I have had to change the battery in the watch 1 time and in the transmitter ~3 times. Now my battery is pretty new and I am having trouble getting a heart rate reading....it reads 00 for about hte forst 15 minutes of my workout and then will pick up my HR. Does anyone know if there is a lifespan on these?
Thanks!

Replies

• Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    any thoughts?
  • tressatnt
    tressatnt Posts: 77
    Options
    bump. I'd like to know too, I have the Polar Ft4 and have this same problem and I haven't had it nearly as long yet and haven't changed the battery either, I can't believe I'd have to already.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Make sure it's snug, try washing the strap by hand and keep it wet before you put it on. Other than that you might need to get another strap. They're about $20 I believe.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT1 that I've had for at least 10 years. They don't even make that model any more, and it's so old that all of the info I've found on line for replacement batteries and parts was incorrect. I've used it off and on during that time, but never more than a couple months in a row. I've changed the watch battery a couple times. The transmitter still works, but I had to go on ebay to find a replacement elastic recently since mine had completely stretched out.
  • NoUglyOneYet
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I've changed each battery twice. I wish Polar's customer support was better...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Straps can go bad too. I think you likely need to replace the strap. I've seen reference online to a non-replaceable battery in the strap. While I don't know if that's true or not, I do know that when I sent in my unit for repair, they required that I send the strap too and they marked that it was tested and tested good.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have an old Polar F6 that I've had for about 7 years now. I've had to replace the watch battery twice and replace the strap once (on the older models they don't have a battery you can replace). An indicator that the strap was going out was that I could not get a heart rate reading, or if I did it would keep losing it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you are washing your strap regulary and wetting it before exercise it could be the battery in the transmitter. Mine did this a few weeks ago and I just replaced the battery myself with one from amazon.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Are you using some kind of gel with the strap? I find KY works great to facilitate transmission between the strap and the watch.

Erm...or rather it facilitates the strap being able to pick up your heart rate.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've had my F11 since about '05 with about the same kind of usage you are describing. I've changed the battery a few times. I did replace the chest strap that came with it a couple years ago but that was it. The first couple times I did send it in to Polar for replacement but now I just take it to my jewelry repair guy and he warranties the batteries so my last replacement was free. Strap I ordered off Amazon for about $60 a couple of years ago. As far as life expectancy. I also have two older Polars that still work but I don't use. One of them only does HR it's so old.