Dieting break?

Options
I find that every 7-10 days I have to let myself go off my calorie counting and just eat whatever. Not to give myself a break from counting, but because I stop losing weight and even gain a bit! It seems like the break from the diet helps reset my system and I start losing again. I never do it more than one day, as that seems to be enough. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Well it is recommended that you have yourself a "cheat" meal or day at least every two weeks to keep your cravings down, as well as sanity haha.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i have this day every OTHER saturday. works great for me, have lost 65 pounds since september!
  • acoker85
    acoker85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i have this day every OTHER saturday. works great for me, have lost 65 pounds since september!

Woah, great job!
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do this weekly, LOL. Usually a Saturday or a Sunday. I usually start logging and then quit mid-day. It hasn't affected my progress and keeps me sane!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're stalling every 7-10 days, it is an indicator that your calorie goals are way too low and restrictive. With a reasonable calorie deficit, I've taken a diet break every 8-12 weeks for an entire week or two of eating at maintenance to re-boot everything, but have not found it necessary in the least to do it every 7-10 days.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    If you're stalling every 7-10 days, it is an indicator that your calorie goals are way too low and restrictive. With a reasonable calorie deficit, I've taken a diet break every 8-12 weeks for an entire week or two of eating at maintenance to re-boot everything, but have not found it necessary in the least to do it every 7-10 days.

i dont do it out of NEED, lol, i do it out of WANT... every other saturday!!! and i attribute that to me being successfull this time around, this is the first time ive actually stuck with it, and lost weight! mmmm and this saturday happens to be my saturday!!! lol
  • acoker85
    Options
    How "off" do you guys go on the diet? Like, ice cream/hamburgers or like, a second serving of salmon? lol
  • acoker85
    Options

Do you think so? I'm just following what MFP is suggesting as far as daily caloric intake goes for losing 2lb a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Do you think so? I'm just following what MFP is suggesting as far as daily caloric intake goes for losing 2lb a week.

Follow the 1lb a week. It's more than enough. IMO there shouldn't even be a 2lb a week setting. It's just not enough food. I've been losing 2lb a week in average with the 1lb a week setting.