Small rant about gender stereotypes in the gym....

Options
I'm a lifter. I LOVE to lift! Today I decided to use a back brace because I have gone up in weights and my lower back has been bothering me a bit. I don't have one of my own, but I know there are a couple at the gym...so I grabbed one and put it on. WAY TOO BIG!
So, I found another one and tried that one on. WAY TOO BIG!

I chuckled and made some comment that it didn't fit right and was told, "That's because women aren't supposed to be lifting heavy enough to require a back brace."

:noway:

Granted, I should have brought my own if I thought I was going to need it, but are you really going to tell me - a personal trainer - what women SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be doing? Go away.

I looked at him, smiled sweetly, and said, "Well, I'm Wonder Woman, so I do." (Those that know me understand my Wonder Woman fascination - I have WW Converse All-Stars, T-shirts, keychains, socks, hats, even undies - all Wonder Woman!)

:D

Replies

• rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not letting that comment get to you.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    "Well, I'm Wonder Woman, so I do." (Those that know me understand my Wonder Woman fascination - I have WW Converse All-Stars, T-shirts, keychains, socks, hats, even undies - all Wonder Woman!)

Time to go to the gym.

tumblr_inline_mln0oo4y5Y1qz4rgp.gif
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I can't stand gender stereotypes and sexism. Society has a long way to go.
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My husband used to lift weights and he has always told me, that anytime I would like to, he would help me out, so I do it right. AND - Wonder Woman :)) I always wanted to be her growing up. I still think Lynda Carter is a beautiful woman!!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This person sounds like a real d-bag. Kudos to you for being a true Wonder Woman!!!
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifter. I LOVE to lift! Today I decided to use a back brace because I have gone up in weights and my lower back has been bothering me a bit. I don't have one of my own, but I know there are a couple at the gym...so I grabbed one and put it on. WAY TOO BIG!
    So, I found another one and tried that one on. WAY TOO BIG!

I chuckled and made some comment that it didn't fit right and was told, "That's because women aren't supposed to be lifting heavy enough to require a back brace."

:noway:

Granted, I should have brought my own if I thought I was going to need it, but are you really going to tell me - a personal trainer - what women SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be doing? Go away.

I looked at him, smiled sweetly, and said, "Well, I'm Wonder Woman, so I do." (Those that know me understand my Wonder Woman fascination - I have WW Converse All-Stars, T-shirts, keychains, socks, hats, even undies - all Wonder Woman!)

Love it! I fear going to do free weights because I am just starting out and I get stared at by all the guys in the gym. Um... Hello? If it's good for you, why can't it be good for me too?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that awful discrimination.

Though I would like to point out what you're referring to as a 'back brace' isn't actually a back brace, and you might injure yourself worse if you treat it like one.

but he called it a back brace too? That's sooo weird.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There are a few guys at my gym like that and they always cut their eyes and such when I'm using free weights. The co-owner of my gym thought it was absurd that my boyfriend suggested I do deadlifts.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Could have replied to him and said "Funny, doesn't look like it's slowing you down any.."
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Today when I first got to the gym my quads were really acting up and I thought I might skip the weights when I finished up cardio. Then I looked over from my 10 minute cool down on the rowing machine and saw all the women doing mysterious slow things with balls, flopping around on the floor.

Motivational. Went up 10 pounds on the squats today.
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    My gym has a pretty good balance. I have not met a lady there that lifts enough to need a brace, but there are many ladies that have a workout intensity that can match that of any of the men and this on its own can be intimidating. And any guy that would make a disparaging remark about them in the free weight section I would challenge to follow their routine, cause they are tough.
    Keep it up!
    Oh, and God Bless Linda Carter! (Rival to my wife for hottest woman ever).
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The guy is an idiot and probably doesn't even squat properly himself.

Koing
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    He's just hatin' that you lift heavier than him :laugh: I am the only girl on the weight side always! I refer to it as the Boyz Club, but I work it like I own it! I love it when they make comments: my personal fave was "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn gurl, I ain't messin' wit'choo!"
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You naughty girl - threatening that poor man's masculinity :laugh:
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Today when I first got to the gym my quads were really acting up and I thought I might skip the weights when I finished up cardio. Then I looked over from my 10 minute cool down on the rowing machine and saw all the women doing mysterious slow things with balls, flopping around on the floor.

Motivational. Went up 10 pounds on the squats today.

Hahahaha
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started working out at the Ymca again and there's just as many women that use free weights as the men almost. Plus there's one lady half my size and probably is lift twice what I can. Which makes me wish I hadn't stopped going before.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that awful discrimination.

Though I would like to point out what you're referring to as a 'back brace' isn't actually a back brace, and you might injure yourself worse if you treat it like one.

but he called it a back brace too? That's sooo weird.

Weight belt?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    dunno if it's because I'm British and British people use irony in a different way to the USA... but what he said could be taken as a combination of a compliment and him commiserating with you about the lack of foresight of the gym to include back braces that would fit women. I guess that depends on the tone of voice and facial expression of the one who said it... and I wasn't there so can't judge on that.

kind of like when someone looks out of the window and sees rain and says "the weatherman said it would be a nice day today" - it doesn't mean he thinks it's actually a nice day.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    stupid men...

sheesh.

wait. what?
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump