Trying to lose weight, vegan, and feeling weak

Options
I just became a vegan about 2 months ago for ethical reasons. I have also been trying to lose weight by controlling my diet and exercising. The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs. Eventually I cut back a bit on the exercise and started attending body pump, body attack, body step classes 1 hr each day. I feel that I definitely gained more definition in my body and my clothes fit better (from a size 7 down to 5 or 4) but my weight wouldn't budge. It hasn't been until the last few days that I finally saw the scale move (total of maybe 6-7 weeks) and I'm now down to 128. But I feel so weak. I know it's probably because I'm not eating enough protein being vegan. At first I felt myself getting stronger at body pump classes, but instead of feeling stronger each time I go now it feels so hard! And I'm lifting the same weight I've been lifting for 2 weeks. I've also been eating more, I think averaging around 1500 calories a day now but I still feel so weak and tired. I don't really count calories but I just estimate based on what I eat. Does anyone have suggestions what I could eat that may help me feel stronger?

Here is a sample daily menu:
Breakfast: 1 slice of multigrain bread from Whole Foods (approximately 120 calories) with either vegan butter or almond butter, half a banana, and a glass of soy milk
Lunch: Salad (lettuce, spinach, olives, cucumber, chick peas, peas, 2-3 slices of beets, croutons) without any dressing (sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of salsa sauce as dressing)
Then I go to gym for 1 hr (either body pump, body step, body attack, or run on treadmill)
Dinner: 1 glass of soymilk, 1-2 slices of bread toasted with almond butter or vegan butter, sometimes I'll add half a piece of vegan breakfast sausage (Tofurky brand) about 35 calories, some kind of fruit such as 4-5 strawberries or a pear or something else.
And I drink lots and lots of tea
Sometimes I'll also take a laxative to help move bowels along but I don't do this often, maybe only once a week.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    No, you are not eating enough. In order to be a vegan you need to have some knowledge about nutrition to make sure you are getting what your body needs.

Start with this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try eating more animals. They have the Vitamin B12, full spectrum amino acids, and saturated fats you're likely missing.

Also, they are delicious.
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Vegans need to take a vitamin B12 supplement, as it is almost exclusively found in meat and dairy products. A lack of Vitamin B12 can leave you with pernicious anaemia which will make you feel very, very ill.

As a previous poster said, you do need to do some careful research and be very sure you are getting a balanced diet - don't think that just because you are following a vegan diet it must be a healthy diet.

I'm not a vegan BTW but I used to live with one and he got pernicious anaemia and was really very ill - both mentally and physically.

Hope this helps
  • emeraldgirl31
    emeraldgirl31 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've been vegetarian for 9 years and 3 of those years I have been vegan. If you feel weak you are most likely missing some vitamins I suggest you purchase a multivitamin I take Deva multivitamin with greens. I started taking it because i like to donate blood and a lot of the times i was getting denied for low iron. Ever since i started taking the vitamins i have great iron levels. You should also try some supplements such as flax seed oil/meal, chia seed, vegan protein powder. Also You should try more grains rather than just bread, like quinoa and brown rice. Try amazon or a health food store for these vitamins/supplements and protein. I also find that eating apples helps keep me full and energized on a low calorie dies (1200). Hope this helps you can always message me with questions!
    -Mayra
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Google the vegan food pyrimid its a great thing i cant do it myself i like my food too much to eat that little i use to do that 1200 cal junk and didnt lose weight for 3 months then wham it came off i have got the occasional period weight but doing well :)
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try eating more animals. They have the Vitamin B12, full spectrum amino acids, and saturated fats you're likely missing.

you are not helpful.

I agree with all the previous posts except for the above quoted. I am vegetarian and eat a well balanced diet including lots of protein and veg. Try TVP, that is high in protein and vegan. A multi is a must.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd start by logging to make sure you're getting enough calories. Don't estimate. Weigh and log everything. This will also help you make sure you're getting enough protein.
  • Loisxyz
    Loisxyz Posts: 17
    Options
    It sounds to me like you have an eating disorder. You are not eating enough and I think if you did count the calories that would be even more obvious. The fact that you are taking laxatives is very worrying and is not going to help you absorb the nutrients from the little you are eating. You are probably not losing weight because your body has gone on a metabolic go slow and is probably busy trying to reabsorb the muscle you have to make up for it. No wonder the exercise is getting harder. Even if you don't eat animal products you need more protein and vegetables. I recommend nuts and pulses.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Did anyone actually read this? So much wrong here.
    The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs.

1200 calories per day is far too little for almost every single person, let alone someone who is exercising 10% of their waking hours... AND is already at a healthy weight for her height.
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't see a lot of greens in your sample menu. I have been vegan for almost two years and agree with the other posts. You will need to take a supplement for B12 and any other missing nutrients. There are many great sources for info. Try engine2. They have books and a website. It is not hard to get enough protein. The meat is best source of protein is a myth.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not eating nearly enough. You shouldn't be eating under 1200 calories at all so especially not while exercising so much.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

That isn't very helpful advice for someone who just stated they became vegan for ethical reasons.

To OP – definitely need to eat more and make sure you are getting all the micro and macro nutrients you need (which is true for everyone, not just vegans). There are a lot of resources out there for proper nutrition and a vegan lifestyle. Based on what you described, you are only eating a few foods at multiple points during the day. Try new things, experiment and enjoy – combine whole grains with legumes, load up on fresh fruits and veggies. For protein, there are some fantastic products out there like Upton's Naturals and Field Roast that offer plant-based meat substitutes that are high in protein and quite delicious. Since you also don't seem to have an aversion to soy, you can try tempeh and tofu dishes.
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You need to do some research on vegan eating.
    First, start taking supplements...I take a multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium, vegan omega 3, and a B complex daily.

Next, add a little variety. Toast and almond butter for breakfast and dinner with a salad in between is not enough. Tofurkey sausage, while delicious, is highly processed. For protein try beans and lentils. Try to eat real food.

Eat more fat. Add an avocado to your salad at lunch. Natural fat is not to be feared, it is your friend. With the amount that you are exercising, your body will thank you.

I have not eaten meat for 20 years. Feel free to have a look at my food diary if you need any meal ideas.

:smile:
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm a former vegan, and I got terribly ill after two years as a vegan because I wasn't eating properly, so I'm going to advise you to NOT do what I did as a vegan!

It looks like you are making one of the same mistakes that I did, and that's having too much of your diet based on bread. Bread, even high-quality wholegrain bread, is going to give you a lot of calories but not a lot of nutrition. Try to limit yourself to no more than one bread-based meal per day.

I recommend that you change your MFP settings so that you are tracking your protein, calcium, and iron, as these can be challenging to meet on a vegan diet. (Also bear in mind that MFP's default settings for protein are notoriously low.)

Try to find vegan sources of protein that aren't highly refined. Fake meat products shouldn't be a staple food -- have them as a treat, but learn to cook tofu and tempeh. Eat more beans and nuts. Try soy or almond yogurt.

There are also lots of vegan protein powders on the market. Soy is easy to find, but there are also protein powders made from pea, rice, hemp, etc.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Did anyone actually read this? So much wrong here.
    The first 2-3 weeks, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 hrs 6 days a week in the evenings and not losing any weight. My starting weight was approximately 132 lbs at 5'4" and my goal weight is 115 lbs.

1200 calories per day is far too little for almost every single person, let alone someone who is exercising 10% of their waking hours... AND is already at a healthy weight for her height.

I totally agree. But she also said she doesn't really calorie count, she just estimates, and that she thinks she's around 1500 now. That's why I recommended actually logging to see what her calorie level really is.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are not eating enough. Add more whole foods, fruits, and veggies. I have been vegan for just over a year, and I have never felt better. If you eat lots of fruits and veggies you should not need the laxatives either, you will be getting lots of natural fiber!
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough. Giving a rough estimate to what you listed, I think you are eating under 900 calories a day. For someone working out for hours a day.....you are likely burning off almost all of that. So....what exactly is your body running on? Nothing. That's why you are weak and tired. You need to log your calories and I definitely think you need to eat more.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    B vitamins and iron. It's always best to get these nutrients from food sources, but if you can't then please take supplements.

Solaray is a good vegan supplement company.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    when i first changed my diet to vegan, i got very sluggish after a few weeks. taking omega-3 (in the form of flaxseed, chia, or supplements) and B-12 restored my energy levels immediately. you are probably getting enough protein; i eat a lot of quinoa, nuts, spinach and kale to add protein to my diet.

also, instead of using laxatives, try drinking extra water.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answers, just wanted to commiserate that I felt weak on a vegan diet also. I did my best to inform myself and balance my diet, but I never got to a point of feeling better. I think I only worked with it for about a month.