GETTING UP EARLY

Options
I am not a morning person but I SO wish I could wake up early...what is your morning rituals? How do you get up early and what time? DO you have any tips for me? I work M-Sat and have to be there at 9am...I have about a 30 minute commute.

Replies

• amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh how I WISH I didnt have to be at work until 9am!
    I have to be at work at 7.
  • tamsinh96
    tamsinh96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A week or so ago i downloaded the "sleep cycle" app which monitors how deep your sleep is and wakes you up gently when it's at it's lightest. It's really helped me so far! I would definitely recommend it if you have a smart phone :)
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to get up at 5am in order to hit the gym at 5:30. This is not an easy thing to accomplish but I can usually make it to the gym by 6-6:10am which is still early enough for me to get a good work out in and be in work by 8:30. Lately, around here (Boston) it has been getting light outside by around 5:50am which makes it easier than it would be in the dead of winter. Try going to bed before 10pm. It seems to make it a little easier.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at work about 8:20 and would be there earlier but my kids' nursery doesn't open until 8, so then I get stuck in the awful traffic, turning a less than 10 minute drive into at least 20mins. I'm a teacher so I like to be at work and organised for the day ahead.

I get up at 6, and my kids can wake up anytime between 5:30 and 7:30.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I believe our bodies like structure and a schedule so... get into the habit of going to bed earlier and you'll be able to get up without your body and mind putting up a fight. I head to bed around 9PM and aim to sleep from 9:30 - 5:30. I hit snooze once of twice and then get up and go for about a 2 mile run.

You have an advantage that you don't have to be at work until 9AM. Lucky you! :)
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options

Hahah same here!
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    Once you learn the secret, please share. I barely wake up in time for work as it is, lol.
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    I am def not a morning person myself, but having 2 smaller kids who go to School I have no chose but to get up. I wake up at 6 AM to prepare them for School. A cup of coffee usually helps me to get my day started.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I got an accountability partner - a friend who was already a morning exerciser I had to call when I got up. I also chose a gym halfway between home and work. I have to take public transportation in the city, so having to pass by it helps motivate me to actually go.
    Shake Awake App. You have to shake your phone/ipad for a certain amount of time before it will turn off. Place it across the room so you have to get up and move to get it to turn off :smile:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's hard! When I first started doing morning workouts:

1. I had all my stuff ready to go and easy to find (the last thing you need is an excuse to crawl back in bed)
    2. When I felt like hitting "snooze" or resetting my alarm, I would say, literally out loud "I have never regretted a workout. I will regret it if I don't go to the gym this morning."
    3. I didn't try to do it every single day. I would plan to work out two mornings a week, so then when I was dragging myself out of bed in the dark I could think, "tomorrow when I sleep until 7 it's going to feel amazing!!"

At first, you'll feel like you're forcing it, but gradually, it will feel easier and easier to get out of bed and work out! Give it time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:40 a.m., on the elliptical for 45 minutes. In the shower at 5:30, kiddo on the bus at 6:50, head to work.

In bed by 8:30 or 9:00 most nights to make that happen.
  • BRYG420
    BRYG420 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love the "Sleep Cycle" app. It actually works believe it or not. I haven't used it in a while, but when I did use it I would always wake up feeling fully rested and had energy. Speaking of which, I'm going to download it right now! I suggest others use it too :) Especially if you're like me in the morning.
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I found this article, and while I have not yet spent the time practicing, it does make a lot of sense:

http://sleepforall.com/get-up-when-your-alarm-goes-off.htm

Let me know if you do it and it works!
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a morning "bootcamp" class that meets Monday-Thursday at 6am. Today was day 2 of getting up at 5:40am for me, and then home a little after 7, and ready to leave the house at about 8, which gives me plenty of time to get to work by 8:30/9am (My commute's only about 20 minutes on a good day, but can take almost an hour on the bad days).

Honestly, I just wasn't working out in the evenings. This is really the only other choice. Having an actual commitment to be there is definitely helping me!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 7 to take the small person to school and to go to work. I get up at 5 to go run because it's the only time I can be sure I'll have time to do it.

I don't know how you make yourself do it, beyond that you just do it.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

Set a routine and before you know it, you'll be waking up early on your day off from work (which is great for lots of reasons, but for me, no one is at the gym early on Sunday morning!). It'll take a few weeks of misery, but once you get used to it, it'll be great.

If I don't exercise in the morning, it doesn't happen!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 7 am and have to get myself and a toddler ready (husband leaves for work before toddler gets up). I wake up at 3:40 and work out. There's no such thing as findign time, you ahve to make time. If you want it badly enough, you'll just do it.
  • residentjc
    residentjc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person ether but its the only time i have to workout. I get up at 5am and right away have my coffee, some toast with Almond Butter and my pre-workout supplements. I'm sensitive to stimulants so once i take them I can't go back to bed. (check with you doctor before taking any stimulants) I start my workouts at 6-6:15am. It's hard but if you just keep at it, eventually it gets easier. Like "tamsinh96", i also downloaded the Sleep Cycle app. Its a great alarm to wake up to, give it a try. Also, just a suggestion, don't hit the snooze button. When it rings pop up, get moving and get your coffee or morning drink of choice (tea, etc.). Hitting the Snooze only makes it harder to get up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I don't know that there's any secret to it other than sitting up and putting my feet on the floor. That's the main thing - get your feet on the floor.

It happens around 4:45 AM at my house.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I have a coffee maker with a programmer, so I set it to make the pot an hour before I get up... quite literally; wake up and smell the coffee :D