Arm-band calorie counter advice

Options
Hi all!
I know I've seen threads about this before, but i cant find them so, I'll start a new one. I'm thinking about trying one of those arm-band thingys that track your calories burned throughout the day to help me have a more complete, accurate picture of my daily burn. I'm looking at the bodymedia system that is used on the biggest loser, and was wondering if any MFP friends have used this system, or a different band and if you liked it/hated it/thought it was worth the investment etc etc. I see that this particular arm band (bodymedia) seems to need to be used with an online tool? does anyone know the cost of the online subscription? can these be linked to my MFP account? Any other brands that you would recommend?? And lastly, can any of these things be worn in the water? I want to start swimming regularly again!

Any and All advice on this would be great!

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I use the BodyMedia Core. The subscriptions is around $6-7 a month. I forget because I just bought one year all at once. You cannot wear it in the water. I like it, but it does not track certain workouts correctly. It does not appear to distinguish between an ab workout and lying on the couch watching Frasier reruns. It can get confused about whether or not you are walking as well. It considers my horseback riding pretty intense exercise (it usually isn't, but I guess the device thinks I'm running or something) and then says two hours of pole dancing only burned 300 or so calories.

It will link with MFP and it tracks aspects of your diet that you may not be tracking. The first thing it told me was that I was consuming too much sodium. I hadn't been keeping an eye on that, but when I looked back over a week or so of my food diary I realized it was right. I was way over on my sodium! Almost double on some days! I started watching it and lost 4.5 pounds of water weight after 3 days of eating lower sodium food. My bloating (which has plagued me for 20 years) also disappeared almost overnight.

Overall, I consider it worth the price just because it gave me a baseline for how much I burn in a normal workday. I was pleasantly surprised to find I burn around 2000-2100 even on days I don't work out. I had previously calculated my TDEE at around 1850 or so and was trying to eat at 1500. The BMF's calculations encouraged me to raise my calories to a comfortable level so I could lose weight without turning into a homicidal maniac. I also like that just wearing it will encourage me to take a few extra steps here and there because I like seeing that I made my goal at the end of the day.
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the insight! any more advice out there?
  • CorrieJane
    Options
    bump-anyone else use a calorie tracker?
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I went with the Fitbit One because I didn't like the thought of a band constantly around my arm. I wear the Fitbit clipped to my bra strap and barely notice it. I wanted something that tracked my movement because I work from home in front of a computer and can be very sedentary. This shows me how active I am throughout the day and is good at tracking runs, walking and stairs. I find that I will get up and walk around the house or up and down the stairs if I notice I haven't been active enough. I've seen some of the marketing around the new Fitbit Flex that will be worn like a bracelet and it shows a picture of someone in a shower...It may be more waterproof?? I researched Fitbit, Jawbone and Body Media and have been very happy with my choice. Good luck!

Also, I swim and take spin classes. I just log those on MFP and it syncs with Fitbit for the calorie burn.
  • NavyMommy
    NavyMommy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Link that I really like. It seems to log my exercises pretty accurately. I do mainly weights and aerobics classes. There isn't a really good way to measure calories burned while weight lifting that I know of, but it does know I'm moving and working hard once I get a good sweat on. For the aerobic classes it measures my calories pretty much exactly how my HRM did so I don't even wear the HRM anymore. It's also great because it syncs up with my cell phone and they're constantly improving the app and capabilities.

I wish there was an option of somewhere else to wear it though, now that it's getting warmer I find I won't wear it outside as much because I don't want tan lines and it's pretty conspicuous. I do wear it around the house all the time though and at the gym. I've heard you can slip it inside your bra band and get pretty accurate readings, but I haven't tried it. Overall though I love it and would buy it again in a heartbeat! HTH!!
  • CorrieJane
    Options
    thank you guys!!! very, very helpful, I'll have to make a decision soon!
  • ChantalAguiar
    ChantalAguiar Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I say buy a heart rate monitor and wear it when you exercise. That will give you a more accurate count of what you're burning when you work out. Normal daily activities like walking outside to get the mail and doing the laundry shouldn't really be considered as exercise eat back calories. Well that's my though on it anyway. I love my Polar FT4.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I went with the Fitbit One because I didn't like the thought of a band constantly around my arm. I wear the Fitbit clipped to my bra strap and barely notice it. I wanted something that tracked my movement because I work from home in front of a computer and can be very sedentary. This shows me how active I am throughout the day and is good at tracking runs, walking and stairs. I find that I will get up and walk around the house or up and down the stairs if I notice I haven't been active enough. I've seen some of the marketing around the new Fitbit Flex that will be worn like a bracelet and it shows a picture of someone in a shower...It may be more waterproof?? I researched Fitbit, Jawbone and Body Media and have been very happy with my choice. Good luck!

Also, I swim and take spin classes. I just log those on MFP and it syncs with Fitbit for the calorie burn.
    I had the original FitBit, but just got a Fitbit One to replace it. I love the wirelss sync capability to my iPod5. I also use a Wahoo heart rate monitor for my workouts to get a more accurate calorie burn. I input that manually into MFP and everything gets synced!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend BodyMedia!

I bought FitBit first. When I took it home, it wouldn't sync to my Macbook Pro. I went to the store, and they couldn't get it to work either, We tried a second FitBit incase the other one was faulty. The problem still existed. Others I've talked to haven't had this issue, but it was so frustrating that I'll never attempt purchasing from FitBit again.

Then I discovered BodyMedia and fell in love. It's even better than what FitBit offers! It tracks much more and with better accuracy, such as calories in and out, steps, amount of sleep vs. just laying down, etc. It uses science to calculate the data, whereas the FitBit using Wii technology. So, the FitBit is more like a pedometer, in my opinion. BodyMedia tracks everything, even when you are just sitting at your desk burning a small amount of calories.

I've used my BodyMedia for almost two months now. It's helped me tremendously stay motivated and lose weight. My first week, I lost 7 lbs with it! Here is a demo of everything it tracks: http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/How-it-works

I use MyFitnessPal to track my food and BodyMedia to track my exercise and sleep. BodyMedia offers a food database to track food, but I find that MyFitnessPal is much better. You can sync both accounts together so that the food and exercise display the same numbers on both sites.

You can sync your BodyMedia data with reward sites such as EarndIt and EveryMove. For so much exercise, you gain points. Then you use these points to get rewards (healthy food, exercise items, charity donations, etc). These sites also work with FitBit.

The only downfall about BodyMedia is it's an ugly grey armband, while the FitBit is a cute little device that can be hidden in a pocket. The BodyMedia device can be hidden under the sleeve of a shirt. I wish it was more attractive!

Overall, I recommend BodyMedia and feel like it would really help you lose weight. :)
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Core as well but I haven't used it in a while because I have lost it. :(

It does work though! Like another one said, it encouraged me to take a few extra steps here and there so I would meet my activity goal for the day. I recommend it!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have Body Media Link...
    I love that it can connect to your smart phone and update your data without having to take it off and plug it in.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks, and my god.. things are so much clearer now. No guessing, no estimating.. you know exactly your burn for the day and you can know exactly how much to eat in relation to that..

I used to have the fitbit zip..

BMF is WAY better!