Toning up, only loosing a bit of weight.

Options
Hi I wondered if i could get some help,

Basically my main goal is to tone up my stomach and my thighs and generally eat healthier as I haven't done previously, but I want to loose 4/5 pounds to get the layer of blubber of my stomach and my hips that makes me feel uncomfortable in a bikini at the moment.

But I feel that myfitnesspal is only truely for weight loss, and as I will be toning up through pilates ect, will my weigh ins be inaccurate as I will probably gain weight from muscle or will this cancel out with the small amount of weight I want to loose.

Sorry If I haven't made sense haha.

Replies

• hansenkh
    hansenkh Posts: 9
    Options
    MFP is not just for weight loss, I have friends who use it just to track their eating habits and watch for the specific nutrients as opposed to just calories, while not worrying about weight at all. MFP also has a tracker for your measurements, so you can use those to measure your progress. Your weight tracking won't be inaccurate, just may not show much change, but it will be your true weight. HTH!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you are not interested in using it for weight loss just use it as a nutrution tracker. You can set your caloric goal to maintenance/TDEE (or a tad below if you want) and add your weigh ins if you feel like it but you dont have to. I think it's great just to know what you are putting in your body and MACROS will be important for what you are trying to do.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Use what you find useful of the resources here and don't worry about the rest.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Though it is good for weight loss, the statements above are correct take advantage of all of its features and you'll be good to go. I find that eating grapefruit after cardio and greek yogurt helps with toning/fatloss
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't even know where to begin picking this apart.

1) You can't loose weight. You can lose it but loosening it won't improve your health and I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
    2) You can't spot reduce
    3) MFP is not specifically for weight loss.
    4) Toning is a myth
    5) You're not going to bulk up doing pilates
    6) You're not going to bulk up on a deficit
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options

1) You can't loose weight. You can lose it but loosening it won't improve your health and I'm not sure how to go about doing it.
    2) You can't spot reduce
    4) Toning is a myth

Sigh. ^^ This.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

2) You can't spot reduce
    4) Toning is a myth

^^this
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options

2) You can't spot reduce
    4) Toning is a myth

How about trying to point her in the right direction instead of "picking her apart"?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    How about trying to point her in the right direction instead of "picking her apart"?

You're right.

Sorry.

https://www.google.co.uk

And I never said I was "picking her apart". I was just clearing up the many misconceptions that were posted. Next time I'll put a flower at the end of it so I don't offend anyone.

:flowerforyou:
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

2) You can't spot reduce
    4) Toning is a myth

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7-fitness-and-exercise
  • katieobrizzle
    katieobrizzle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I am new to this so I can't be expected to know everything.

And i'm not only doing pilates, I have an ab routine which I do every other day, and I use the cross trainer every other day and run 5k on a sunday, I'm not trying to spot reduce, but i'm also aware that my abs will not show with this current layer of fat so I'm hoping better nutrition and loosing a few pounds will make it easier to see the work i will have put in.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I am new to this so I can't be expected to know everything.

And i'm not only doing pilates, I have an ab routine which I do every other day, and I use the cross trainer every other day and run 5k on a sunday, I'm not trying to spot reduce, but i'm also aware that my abs will not show with this current layer of fat so I'm hoping better nutrition and loosing a few pounds will make it easier to see the work i will have put in.
    I'll break it down a but simpler.

you can do 3 things with your muscles. grow them, keep them the same size, shrink them.

you will notice the lack of 'tone' them because no such thing exists. Just like there is no such thing as a 'toning' exercise. Tone is nothing more than low bodyfat allowing existing muscle to show through.

So now that you know this, you can get a better handle on your goals. Are you currently happy with your level of muscle mass? then do any sort of resistance training template combined with a calorie deficit diet and you can maintain your existing mass while losing fat. Want to grow your muscles a bit? Well then you must up your calories combined with heavy lifting to grow for a while. Then you can drop the fat after. Want to lose muscle mass? then eat at a deficit and do boatloads of cardio and no resistance training and the muscle mass along with fat will drop off.

So thats why it's a touchy wording. Because the fitness industry hammers that word out there while knowing that it's a 100% BS word but women will swallow it because it's easier to sell them a quick fix with it. (use this dumb looking machine, proven to increase toning by a billionty %) Reality is, you want to look athletic, you have to train how athletic people train. Which means learning to go all out.
  • katieobrizzle
    Options
    Thankyou very much, i've found this helpful, I'm going to maintain for now, loose the few pounds and see what's underneath and focus on just getting healthier all together. Then I'm going to focus on building some slight muscle mass. P.s i've never been on a calorie deficit diet as I have a high metabolism and eating less calories does more bad than good.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just FYI- you can't build muscle on a deficit. You'd have to be eating at a calorie surplus. You can strengthen the area though. Honestly, you should look into lifting. Check out NROLFW, Starting Strength and Stronglifts
  • katieobrizzle
    Options
    For future reference, how would I get the calories up but still eat healthy? It's not something i'd perceive to go hand in hand haha
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I hate it when my keyboard keys stick too.

:cry:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    For future reference, how would I get the calories up but still eat healthy? It's not something i'd perceive to go hand in hand haha

Your diary is locked- if you unlock it we could probably help. How much are you eating now?
  • katieobrizzle
    Options
    Differs day to day really, depends if i bring a packed lunch or eat in college, some days I snack alot, some days I don't, I'm guessing it ranges from around 1800 -2200 not including the weekend when i can't even imagine how many calories with my weekly dominos pizza :P