Are 1,200 calories enough!?

Options
Hi everyone... I just jointed this website and am looking forward to this weight loss journey... However I was a bit confused by the amount of calories it allows me....1,200. Other websites say I should eat at least 1,600. I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and currently weigh 141 lbs. My goal is 125. But, 1,200 sure doesn't seem like much?! Any thoughts? Thanks for your help! Linda

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That's what mine says also. Honestly I think it's too low. I aim for 1,200 to 1,450. Usually I'm at the higher end and I'm still losing!
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can get by on my allotted 1290, but only just! However, I tend to do exercise so I can eat a more comfortable quantity.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    mfp set me at 1200 originally too and I lost a little at first but then stalled, I increased it to 1400 and starting losing again. If you are exercising you definately need more!
  • jeweljade
    jeweljade Posts: 93
    Options
    Hi! My goal is 125 as well and my calorie limit is 1,200. It really doesn't seem like that much, however when you exercise, it raises your calorie allowance to whatever you burned off from exercising plus the 1,200 cal. Good luck!!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    It was too low for me. It was demoralising because I just could NOT do it. I re-set mine to lose just one pound a week rather than two and I've been losing a lot more steadily, if slightly more slowly. I also eat my exercise calories.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your BMR is. there is a way to calculate it in the tools. and if you do intentional exercise( walking, eliptical, cycling) whatever you burn doing these you can then 'eat' those calories too. Also if you go back in and reset your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week it will also give back more calories to use. I usually try to eat between 1400 and 1700 calories a day. my weight loss is slow but I'd rather have it slow and steady than to go too quickly and gain it back by not learning how to lose/maintain and enjoy food also along the way. Best wishes to you.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    1200 plus some of the exercise calories is working for me!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    MFP told me 1200 as well. I went to the tools section and looked up my BMR, which is about 1400, or the minimum number of calories I need if I just sit on the sofa all day (literally). If I work out, then I make sure that I stay just under that calorie count. You want to make sure that you do eat the exercise calories.

If you calorie intake is too low, your body goes into starvation mode and you will actually gain weight.

You might want to try that also.

Good Luck!
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your BMR is. there is a way to calculate it in the tools. and if you do intentional exercise( walking, eliptical, cycling) whatever you burn doing these you can then 'eat' those calories too. Also if you go back in and reset your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week it will also give back more calories to use. I usually try to eat between 1400 and 1700 calories a day. my weight loss is slow but I'd rather have it slow and steady than to go too quickly and gain it back by not learning how to lose/maintain and enjoy food also along the way. Best wishes to you.

My projected weight loss is only 1lb per week and I'm allowed 1290 unless I exercise :noway:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    MFP tells just about everyone to go with 1200 calories. My gyno told me to never go below 1500 as a woman because we need more calories for our "womanly parts" to function.

Personally, I use the calorie calculators dailyburn.com and mayoclinic.org. They come up with about the same estimate as each other and then I manually adjust MFP.
  • blbeane
    blbeane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    After reading everyone's reponses, I too was told my MFP to eat 1,200. I have a feeling that is a default calorie number from MFP. I went on numerous other websites to find what my average calorie intake should be to lose 1-2 pounds per week. I am 5'7, 160 and I finally came up with 1,500. That seams to make more sense to me. Anything to low and your body goes into starvation and slows your metabolism. Losing weight is not about starving yourself, but about healthy, portioned controlled meals.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: 1200 calories plus exercise calories worked for me.......it's important that your calories come from lean meat and fish, complex carbs, fruit, and veggies.........avoid "empty calories" and make sure that everything you eat is nutrition dense so it does your body some good.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories and I eat most of my exercise calories. My weigh loss has been very slow and gradual. I'm okay with that. Just listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... I just jointed this website and am looking forward to this weight loss journey... However I was a bit confused by the amount of calories it allows me....1,200. Other websites say I should eat at least 1,600. I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and currently weigh 141 lbs. My goal is 125. But, 1,200 sure doesn't seem like much?! Any thoughts? Thanks for your help! Linda

I've been on MFP for eight weeks now and 1200 calories since I started, I've lost weight so far with that amount and not been hungry either.

Put it this way, if I were to be on 1600 calories per day, I would put on weight lol
  • APerry71
    APerry71 Posts: 9
    Options
    I read this morning that we need a minimum of 1,400 calories. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm just under 5'3" and weight 143. My goal is to lose 20 lbs. Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    Options
    I read this morning that we need a minimum of 1,400 calories. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm just under 5'3" and weight 143. My goal is to lose 20 lbs. Good luck!

My BMR is lower than 1400 calories, that would mean I would put on weight, not good for a weight loss programme.

This is getting ridiculous, first 1000 calories per day is taboo now 1200 calories is getting to be "not too good" - what the hell???

Who is it who is professing that these amounts of calories are bad I wonder.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I exercise to eat more. Probaly should learn to eat at that level but I'm a big eater so doubt that will ever happen.
  • leanlindajean
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! WOW!!! YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!!!! ... I had no idea I'd get so much input and I REALLY appreciate it... I'll give it a go and see how I do... it's amazing how quickly the calories add up!!! WOW! I'm a bit confused about the Kashi GoLean I entered this morning though... the box says it's 140 calories for a cup and this site said it's 200! 60 calories is a big difference!!! I am going to double check I entered the right cereal. It was definitely Kashi GoLean (and not "crunch" or anything fancy)... ANYway, I'm looking forward to this journey... sounds like a wonderful group on here!!! Thanks again! - Linda
  • wendywasj
    wendywasj Posts: 16
    Options
    MFP told me 1350 cals. for 2 lbs. per week without exercise. That is about what I calculated with the calorie counter tool I got out of a popular diet plan...your current weight x 7 will give you a generally good guess. If this number comes up to less than 1,200 then you are instructed to not go below 1,200. If your current weight is 141 x 7 = 987 so that's why they put you on 1,200. I have not found the formula for maintaining but I will post it when I find it :) Hope this helps.
  • LotusF1ower
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! WOW!!! YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!!!! ... I had no idea I'd get so much input and I REALLY appreciate it... I'll give it a go and see how I do... it's amazing how quickly the calories add up!!! WOW! I'm a bit confused about the Kashi GoLean I entered this morning though... the box says it's 140 calories for a cup and this site said it's 200! 60 calories is a big difference!!! I am going to double check I entered the right cereal. It was definitely Kashi GoLean (and not "crunch" or anything fancy)... ANYway, I'm looking forward to this journey... sounds like a wonderful group on here!!! Thanks again! - Linda

Ahh watch that, sometimes stuff is in the database that has been put there by other members, they will have input the calories, carbs, protein etc. However, if you have the box there and all the info on it, go by that as you know that will be accurate.

You can also input your own grub on the database and set it to allow others to use that food info :smile: