For the functioning alcoholics...

Options

Replies

• WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    SAME problem here babycakes! BUTTTT I have learned how to get around this.:bigsmile:

1.) Work a little harder ar at the gym. An extra mile on the treadmill should do it!

2.)Eliminate any liquid calories in the daytime like pop, juice, etc.....

3.) Stay Hydrated!....drink lots of WATER!!!

4.) Take a multivitamin

5.) reserve some calories for the drinks!

And enjoy your wine!!!!!:bigsmile:

^^this^^ we've got this all figured out :drinker:
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    I feel the OP's pain. I'm being really strict and trying to abstain completely, it's just empty calories, especially beer, my favourite!

If I must drink, I try to go for a good quality bottle of red wine, one that won't be full of sugar and chemicals.

Vodka and slimline tonic is a good choice too in terms of calories.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet cranberry juice, but I love vodka and diet pomegranate and cranberry juice.
    Helps to drink water in between drinks too
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I factor my wine or Mich Ultra into my work-outs too! I refuse to give up something that I really enjoy so I still have a few glasses of moscato wine or a couple of Mich Ultras every night if I want . . . and I've lost 25 pounds and am now at the maintenance level. Don't let anyone tell you it will slow your weight loss down because of the calories! If I can do it at 45-years of age, so can you! :) Good luck to you . . . and cheers! :)
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with this one, on a night out my calories go out of the window!

I've heard gin or vodka and diet tonic is better for calories though.
  • PaigeProthero
    Options
    I enjoy wine way too much! I have struggled off and on with this for years. I believe that is one cause of the most recent plateau that I have hit.

My nutritionist told me that the best way around this was to stick to red wine, not white. :sad: Her second piece of advice was to buy the worst tasting red I could find. Lindeman's Merlot did the trick (no offense to any fans of that wine, everyone's taste is different).

I will say that I have had an extreme amount of stress the last two months, and have been a backslider on this topic. So for me it's back to Lindeman's and away from this plateau!

P.S. I also believe that exercise will help allow for a few extra calories, and also help metabolize the calories that come from a glass or two of wine.

Paige
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda with a little bit of lime or cranberry for flavor! Wine is just to high on the cals for me. For a pretty strong drink you could do about 8 oz for 100 cals.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Solution; don't drink.

Empty calories suck for dieting.

I'm not dieting, I'm making a healthy lifestyle, which is why I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail or two on the weekends and not stress about it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I order a soft drink then I wait until my friend isn't looking and drink her drink that way it comes from her calorie allowance not mine thus saving my calories for the post alcoholic kfc binge on the way home :bigsmile:

PS This also works with food you eat off someone elses plate (not your plate, not your calories) :drinker:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    SAME problem here babycakes! BUTTTT I have learned how to get around this.:bigsmile:

1.) Work a little harder ar at the gym. An extra mile on the treadmill should do it!

2.)Eliminate any liquid calories in the daytime like pop, juice, etc.....

3.) Stay Hydrated!....drink lots of WATER!!!

4.) Take a multivitamin

5.) reserve some calories for the drinks!

And enjoy your wine!!!!!:bigsmile:

^^this^^ we've got this all figured out :drinker:

INDEED I got it all figured out babycakes!!!!! Ima go put the grigio in the fridge for a cool down!!!!!:drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    in for the pino grigio
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Solution; don't drink.

Empty calories suck for dieting.

I'm not dieting, I'm making a healthy lifestyle, which is why I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail or two on the weekends and not stress about it.

I was just scrolling down to post that. Thanks.

Wine.
    Vodka and diet cranberry or diet cherry 7up or diet sierra mist w/cranberry.
    Lo cal beer is not even worth it, if it's a beer night or weekend I would plan ahead and get some good stuff.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I work at a liquor store so uh I drink a lot these days. I'd probably lose a little more weight if I stopped drinking, but... thats not happening any time soon. It honestly hasn't hindered my progress that much, and I'm still at a very healthy weight with a decent looking body. I've succeeded in putting on quite a bit of muscle and I've been holding steady at 130lbs. (I was 133 today, but that was after my workout where I drank a ton of water).

That being said, the Mediterranean diet does encourage drinking red wine in moderation.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    4.) Take a multivitamin

THIS
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I actually have trouble drinking too much, and I thought this thread was going to be for people like me who live normal lives but struggle with a tendency to overdo it on a regular basis. Instead, I read about what sounds like highly responsible drinking. Oh well...

I do not like when I drink a lot. But, once I start drinking my inhibitions are reduced, my judgement is reduced, so I can tend to drink more than I would have wanted. My husband does not drink, so if I buy a bottle of wine, I am the only one to drink it. To make sure I don't over drink I have decided that I will only buy the half sized bottles of wine (12.6 ounces). I found a nice one that is Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. I also have a rule that when I am out, I will only order one drink (2 if they are spaced apart). I am a lightweight, so this works for me. If I find that I don't stick to these rules (or an amended version), then I may stop entirely. I did not drink for 10 years in the past (and only recently started again, so I am relearning my limits). My rules work for me (at this time). Other people would need to define what works for them. And because my husband is a non-drinker it's all the more reason for me to be aware of this because it's respectful of him and our relationship. Also, if I were to purchase a larger amount (such as one of the half size bottles of vodka). I would take note of how much I want to drink (before hand), so that I have a limit in mind before I drink it.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I actually have trouble drinking too much, and I thought this thread was going to be for people like me who live normal lives but struggle with a tendency to overdo it on a regular basis. Instead, I read about what sounds like highly responsible drinking. Oh well...

I do not like when I drink a lot. But, once I start drinking my inhibitions are reduced, my judgement is reduced, so I can tend to drink more than I would have wanted. My husband does not drink, so if I buy a bottle of wine, I am the only one to drink it. To make sure I don't over drink I have decided that I will only buy the half sized bottles of wine (12.6 ounces). I found a nice one that is Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. I also have a rule that when I am out, I will only order one drink (2 if they are spaced apart). I am a lightweight, so this works for me. If I find that I don't stick to these rules (or an amended version), then I may stop entirely. I did not drink for 10 years in the past (and only recently started again, so I am relearning my limits). My rules work for me (at this time). Other people would need to define what works for them. And because my husband is a non-drinker it's all the more reason for me to be aware of this because it's respectful of him and our relationship. Also, if I were to purchase a larger amount (such as one of the half size bottles of vodka). I would take note of how much I want to drink (before hand), so that I have a limit in mind before I drink it.

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll try buying smaller bottles so I have less around at a time.

I used to have a rule that I'd only have one drink when going out, but that's long gone. Happy hour is just so cheap around here, and on the weekends, there's always pregaming going on at friends' houses before we go out. It's hard because the whole social atmosphere around here seems to revolve around drinking. You meet people at the bars or at parties so easily. Maybe I need to make more effort to make friends outside of that atmosphere.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I still drink, but I don't drink the sugar filled cocktails or what ever. Never did. I drink whiskey now, and beer. Working on once a week. I don't think it would make a huge difference if once a week or so I indulged in alcohol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll try buying smaller bottles so I have less around at a time.

I used to have a rule that I'd only have one drink when going out, but that's long gone. Happy hour is just so cheap around here, and on the weekends, there's always pregaming going on at friends' houses before we go out. It's hard because the whole social atmosphere around here seems to revolve around drinking. You meet people at the bars or at parties so easily. Maybe I need to make more effort to make friends outside of that atmosphere.

Yeah, you are younger than me, so I understand!!! But, when I was younger I went out dancing for fun and did not drink at all because I was having fun dancing. It helps, if there is something fun to do.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine usually once a week... or some Limoncello...!
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    I like red wine, but I always measure it and have between 3 to 5 ounces, depending on what I have left to fit into my macros. I also like vodka and seltzer water with some lime. If I drink beer, I drink Guinness. And generally, I only drink on the weekends, typically one night but sometimes both. Apparently I need to try this Kim Crawford wine everyone speaks of :)