Morning or Evening - When Do You Workout

Options
I'm a morning person - 5:30 or 6am every day (9am on Saturday).
What time do you prefer and why?

I prefer mornings because I like to get up and get it done with. I also like the energy I feel throughout the day.
The biggest reason though, is because I have no excuses in the morning. I can come up with a million of em in the afternoon and then I don't end up going.

Just wondering about the preferences of other people.

Replies

• FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I prefer late AM, around 8:30-10:00 start time.

Because then I can get sufficient coffee levels in my system.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    7am. Sometimes I might do a class in the evening but the bulk of my workouts are early morning.

Working out in the morning gives me a lot more energy and I find I dont make excuses not to go as I would after working and sitting on my butt all day
  • tameekag
    tameekag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    7am. Sometimes I might do a class in the evening but the bulk of my workouts are early morning.

Working out in the morning gives me a lot more energy and I find I dont make excuses not to go as I would after working and sitting on my butt all day

Yup - same here.

My issue is pre-workout fuel. I have no appetite early in the morning. Do you eat anything before you workout?
  • jayjohnson1320
    jayjohnson1320 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mornings!!! Gotta get it in when I have the most energy!!!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I walk to/from work each weekday 25 mins each way

So I do my main exercise in the evening

tried it in the morning, but that plus walking I was too tired during the day
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I try to do SOMETHING in the mornings, but mainly because my ankle/leg feels better once I've worked out with it a little. If I wait until the afternoon, it tends to be less cooperative at least until I've finally exercised. It's good incentive, I guess.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Mornings. I take the kids to school, get the toddler breakfast and then workout.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Yup - same here.

My issue is pre-workout fuel. I have no appetite early in the morning. Do you eat anything before you workout?

Hi,

No. I dont I have no appetite before my workout but I do afterwards so I just have breakfast, eggs or protein shake :)
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get my excercise when i get home from work, around 4:30 pm.

I used to wake up at 5am to work out but didnt feel like I was getting enough sleep.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If I had my choice, I'd do it first thing in the morning but 1) I'm still too asleep, and 2) my husband needs his lunch packed and breakfast ready before he leaves for work. I've tried evening workouts, but I can't always squeeze them in.

A year and a half ago, I was doing P90X and I usually did my workout around 3 pm after lunch had been cleaned up and the toddler put down for a nap. But now that I have a baby (9 months) that doesn't work anymore. So after toying around with it, and after deciding to delay breakfast, I decided to try doing it in the morning while my kids were eating breakfast and cleaning up (my 6-year-old is old enough to do some of the dishes by herself--yay!). If the morning goes well, this will be around 8:30. Then I can shower and have breakfast at 9:30.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am and get myself ready, eat, get the kids off to school then head to the gym. School breaks are a little harder. I get up at 5:30 and rush to get ready and out the door and to the gym by 6:15. I usually eat in the car on the way there. I have to be home by 8 so DH can get to work. Starting Boot Camp two nights a week, but it is at the same time and place my kids have karate which makes logistics easy!
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Morning.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I believe I am the first afternooner. Usually around 1pm or so. I enjoy it because I feel like I still have some solid energy from my morning breakfast and snack and it fuels the rest of my day.
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Late evening, sometimes 1am! I'm a college student? That's my only reason.
  • cutemisty5
    Options
    Whenever I get time lol. Sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon. I always try to get it done before evening though
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    early mornings. get it over and done with. if i didnt have a job i'd probably do it right before lunch.
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I workout whenever I have time (I often have to MAKE time, as my schedule is often full). Sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon/evening . I prefer mornings though.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it, and when it's convenient.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I could choose, I'd work out in the AM. But I gotta get up at 5:30AM for work anyways; if I wanted to workout before I'd had to get up at 4:30 or so. Defenetely not possible.

I work out right after work between 4-5PM, or I get home first and get to the gym later, sometimes even at 10PM depending on how busy the day is. :)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    usually in the evening but today i Was up at 4am wih the kids so I did my kettlebell HIIT twice at 5am. I feel loads better now and want to do more. Only down side to working out in the am to me is it kills my hunger and I can go til mid day without having breakfast and dont notice