Does Anyone Else Get This Way?

Options
As of today, I have been on MFP 115 days, and lost 42 pounds.

I know for the amount of time I've been on here, I'm doing well.

I know that I feel physically better and am better able move, and that I made the best decision for me in deciding to get healthy. I don't regret that decision.

However, recently I have started to dislike the way I look even more than when I was 40 pounds heavier. I feel like there are more awkward lumps and bumps than there were before, that I don't look "right" anymore, and I don't even really like the way my face is looking now that it is thinner.

I think part of the problem is that my clothes don't fit very well anymore, and so a lot of the time I feel frumpy and unkempt. I am in transition between two sizes, and don't really feel right in either.

Beyond that, I don't know why I would be more uncomfortable with my body than I was before. I was just wondering if anyone else is/has felt this...and if so, how did / do you combat it? Will I become more comfortable with my appearance as I go? Or will it only get worse?

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    In all honesty, I'm down close to 200 pounds and fight how the skin is making me look/feel...I don't feel attractive or sexy yet my bf can't keep his hands off me..clothes give me shape...otherwise, I sag...I'm 22 and never had kids...22...and I sag..I wanna say it gets better, I've been at this 3 years, but, it all depends on us. Yeah physically we change but we forget the mental part needs to change along with it. That's what I failed to do along the way and it's hard now..
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    First of all, you look stunning! It is going to take awhile before your skin will catch up. I have also seen some amazing transformations with weight lifting. I am thinking of doing some more weight and resistance training. Do you lift??
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you're talking about but like someone above said, your skin will catch up eventually. I know that how much it will 'catch up' varies from person to person. But I remember, and can even see in some of my progress pics, that where my stomach was large and firm at the beginning, as it shrunk, it looked and felt more jiggly than before. Eventually it starts to look better.

The in-between sizes things is also a pain. Try some thrift stores if you haven't already. I found good clothes there to wear and more brands to pick from (some run big, some small) so I could feel like I looked decent.
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    First of all; You look amazing! Great job loosing that much!

Secondly: Thank you for bringing this up! I totally get what you are saying!
    For the first time in my life my not overweight anymore and even better I have moved passed my orginal goal weight, closing up on my ideal weight. So I should be happy... but I have never hated my body as much as I do now. Im exstremly uncomfortable if I wear cloth a bit to tight (in my head) or too baggy.
    I truly believe I was a happier person back when I was bigger and food didnt controled my life as much.

If anybody out there have felt the same and gotten over it, please share or even better contact me, cause I would love to hear how?!
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. A weight change is a lot of stress on your mind. And it infact can make you initially look worse, ecspecially when it's fast.

I think you should reduce levels of stress. Therapy, meditation, message, accupunture, reading, watching a movie, window shopping, anything that starts to put your mind at ease. Because the body gets lethargic and gaunt but that will go away and you will be glowing in no time! :happy:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, when I started losing all the bloat look in my face and it started thinning out, I was horrified at all the wrinkles. I'm 58 and my Dad is 77 and I think he looks younger than I do in my profile pic.

But I try to remember that I am getting healthier and I will never look like I did in High School before having kids etc and eating my way to morbid obesity. But the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. No more sleep apnea, no more high blood pressure, no more high cholesterol or high triglycerides. Actually for the first time in years and years, my complete blood panel is all within normal limits.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    No, I can't say that I've had that problem, but I just wanted to say that you look good. Keep it up!
  • redneckwoman727
    Options
    I did Weight Watcher and at one meeting we covered this very topic. You have seen yourself in one way for so long that your mind thinks that your old body is normal. The new you doesn't look right to it. It will take time for your mind to convert to your new body. Weird but the mind is a powerful thing.
    You lost 2.5 lbs a week and thats awesome!!!!!!!! Much to fast for the mind to keep up with though. Lol. Your skin doesn't shrink that fast either. Someone mentioned weight lifting to help shrink skin. I would go with that. I don't know but it cant hurt!!!
    It doesn't sound like you have hit a platoe from loosing weight yet. It will be difficult to lose weight at that time but remember to just maintain that weight while your brain and all your organs are changing to the new you. They need to change the way they work.
    Give it time and you will adjust to the way look now. Don't know how in the world you lost that much is so little time. Wish I could!!!!! Again, I say Awesome!!!!!
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    first off. i totally understand what you are going through!! i have felt like this many of times.. i think i am getting better with it now. i did notice that the whole clothing transition can REALLY bring you down. i dont stick to one size.. i try a few sizes because even if its the same brand sometimes the clothes are still cut differently so i try EVERYTHING on.. but seriously try to find some clothes that make you feel happy and uplifted.. try some colors. (this is odd for me to even be saying cuz i would have never wore color before haha but it can change your mood). try different styles and cuts of clothing. as far as being comfortable in your own skin.. i have to say i think the problem there is mental. whatever haunts you is probably still haunting you. love yourself. remember all the awesomeness and dedication that you are providing for your body and learn to love it instead of hating it. its really magical if you seriously think about it. you probably do things now that you couldnt before.. or its much easier now. remember those things. no small thing is insignificant. embrace it all. i would love to say it will all get easier.. and it will if you gain confidence.. but you are the same person you were before you started your journey.. just your body is different.. so figure out your inner feelings and find a way to fix it.

sorry if this was no help. i generally wanted to try to help but i might have came off completely cheesy.. but best of luck. i really hope you start to feel better about yourself and your body.
  • chelseawill03
    chelseawill03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    first off. i totally understand what you are going through!! i have felt like this many of times.. i think i am getting better with it now. i did notice that the whole clothing transition can REALLY bring you down. i dont stick to one size.. i try a few sizes because even if its the same brand sometimes the clothes are still cut differently so i try EVERYTHING on.. but seriously try to find some clothes that make you feel happy and uplifted.. try some colors. (this is odd for me to even be saying cuz i would have never wore color before haha but it can change your mood). try different styles and cuts of clothing. as far as being comfortable in your own skin.. i have to say i think the problem there is mental. whatever haunts you is probably still haunting you. love yourself. remember all the awesomeness and dedication that you are providing for your body and learn to love it instead of hating it. its really magical if you seriously think about it. you probably do things now that you couldnt before.. or its much easier now. remember those things. no small thing is insignificant. embrace it all. i would love to say it will all get easier.. and it will if you gain confidence.. but you are the same person you were before you started your journey.. just your body is different.. so figure out your inner feelings and find a way to fix it.

sorry if this was no help. i generally wanted to try to help but i might have came off completely cheesy.. but best of luck. i really hope you start to feel better about yourself and your body.

Not cheesy at all! That is WONDERFUL advice.

Thanks for some great suggestions guys.

***I do want to clarify that I am FAR from done (not at the halfway point) and skin hasn't become an issue yet. That being said, I think weight lifting could still be beneficial to me. I just hope I become a little more comfortable in transitioning body.***