how is this happening to me?

Options
About 2 months ago I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and watching my calorie intake. My starting weight was 140. I was working out 3-4 days a week. Although I didnt lose much weight, I lost a few inches.

About 2 weeks ago I injured my shoulder so I havent exercised for 2 weeks, yet im loosing weight. I havent been following a specific diet or monitoring my calorie intake as I was before. I weighed myself today and im 136.

How is it that im losing weight? I havent exercised in 2 weeks, and I havent been following a diet or monitoring my calorie intake. Yet when I was exercising and watching my calories the scale wasnt moving?

Was I eating too few calories when I was exercising?

Replies

• Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm eager to see what answers you get! I have been noticing that sometimes after a couple days of serious overeating and not as much exercise as I usually strive for, I also tend to lose a couple of lbs. Weird.
  • hparros
    hparros Posts: 11
    Options
    This is my theory and one that I've read on some blogs/websites...

Your body gets used to your calorie/exercising routines!!! If you switch it up every once in awhile your body doesn't know what hit it and will shed some pounds. I've had this happen to me a lot (not that I'm complaining though haha) :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Often times when you work out you retain water, that's normal, you're probably seeing the scale move because you haven't taxed your muscles. Also you say you're not watching your calories but you must be eating at a deficit if you're losing weight.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't really have an answer, just maybe a theory. It is possible that your body now has a new set point for your metabolism because of all the work you did before and that you are eating less than when you first started out with the exercise and diet, just out of new habits (good ones, but still new habits). These things will probably change if you are not able to continue with your diet and exercise, so just do the best you can right now and enjoy.
  • juleskitcat
    juleskitcat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What I've been told is that MUSCLE burns more than fat. So, because you are built muscle by working out - your metabolism is revved and you are able to burn... :D KUDOS!
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That was happening to me a little while back - I was drinking starbucks frappes like nobody's business, not counting my calories, eating ice cream, not working out, and just kept losing weight. I say just enjoy it. However, learn from my mistake.. don't count on it too much. I got in the habit of eating badly and not working out and ended up stopping MFP for a long time instead of just continuing on. I say continue to do what you're doing and weigh yourself regularly and then once you notice the scale staying the same, boost your workouts and start eating better again.