Unexplainable Weight Gain (H2O, exercising, eating right)

Options
Hi guys.. So I'll just give you a brief on my story.

I've been going to the gym on and off depending on my school schedule. When I do go, I do weights and no cardio.
In terms of eating.. I'd say I eat moderate to poor but I've been working hard to improve it.

This past Tuesday, I weighed in at 133.5lbs my lowest in 6 years I was ecstatic. I went to dinner with my boyfriend and it went downhill from there. I wouldn't say we ate like crap but it wasn't the best. The next morning I weighed in at 1-2lbs heavier, I can't quite remember and ever since then I've been steadily gaining 0.5-1lb a day. I'm absolutely pissed. By tomorrow morning (1 week later) I expect myself to be 137.5lbs aka FOUR pounds heavier than a week ago. This is absolutely ridiculous. Ever since last Thursday I've been eating very well (to my standards) and have been to the gym 6 days straight. Very well would include: Broccoli with cheese, apples, tuna with mayo, pan fried salmon (no oil) with basmati rice and lemon. These past few days have probably been the healthiest I've eaten in a long time. Yet the weight just keeps on piling on. I'm also trying to drink more water I'm close to 1-1.25 L a day which is a LOT better than before trust me. I'd say usually I'm in a state of dehydration so this is a major improvement lol

Anyways someone please figure out what I'm doing wrong because I'm getting very discouraged and ready to just down a tub of ice cream if this keeps up. I'm not happy with this at all. Thanks in advance

Oh I'm 5'6 and can range from size 6-8/M-L :P

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't stress about it at ALL. Certainly not worth giving up over, you're doing great. Your weight will fluctuate, it happens. If it keeps up for a month or so, you might re-evaluate your diet and exercise routine but otherwise it's probably just water weight or one of those things. You can't completely ruin weight loss from one bad dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Water won't make you lose weight, first.

Second, weights won't really make you lose weight. When I started doing more weight lifting, I didn't move for 2-3 weeks, heck I even gained 2 lbs, but then it came down. Be patient. When you add all the stuff that happens with women cycles too, it's very easy to gain 4lbs of water or bloating alone.

Keep doing what you're doing. As long as you're eating enough (at least 1400 calories a day if you do weight training 6 days a week), the weight will come off.
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If your doing weights then you may be gainning muscle and muscle weighs more then fat.
  • SirrahSara
    SirrahSara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it maybe coming up on that time of the month? I know for me, around that time I can fluctuate between 5 or more pounds.

Also, what everyone above said.
  • hparros
    hparros Posts: 11
    Options
    OH NO! DO NOT GIVE UP! Seriously.......do not. What I would assume is likely going on is all of this working out is making you GAIN MUSCLE...which is great!!! And the water could add to the bloating...but water is great for you.

Keep it up and don't give in to the the ice cream :D You've got this!
  • Sebani
    Sebani Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys. TOM isn't for another half month so definitely not that. I'd say when I was 133.5 I was in a state of dehydration so I'm really trying to be better with the water but yah it's just oh so frustrating!! I don't like seeing that number go up daily! :mad:
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle mass. Weight gain isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering that you say you're doing everything right.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from but please don't give up! I lost 10 pounds in my first month on MFP, and it's just been a train wreck since. I lost 2 more very very slowly (about 5-6 weeks) then I gained 7 back within a few days (after eating a high calorie birthday dinner) and it's been stuck there for awhile. I don't eat so great every single day, but I stay under my calorie goals at least 6 days a week, I drink 2 liters of water a day and exercise at least 3 days a week, way more than I did before MFP. I eat at least 1500 calories a day LESS than what I was eating before MFP (and not gaining back then). Even if I'm still eating some not-so-great stuff every few days, I'm still eating much better, working out, and drinking water way more than ever so it's frustrating and a bit discouraging but I think it happens to everyone. The first weeks of weight loss were probably mostly water and now my body is just trying to adjust to the changes and eventually it will break frozen scale! Just keep at it and we'll celebrate our changes soon enough :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So it's been a week? And you've been eating how many calories per day? Do you use a food scale?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    You're not gaining muscle in a week, but you may be retaining water for muscle repair. The scale went up a couple of pounds when I first started lifting. It should settle down in a couple of weeks if that's the culprit.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Please don't weigh yourself everyday, you will drive yourself crazy and that will make you give up. It sounds like you're trying but not really trying to control your diet. I think 133 lbs. sound like you're already small and it sounds like you're in a panic because you gained a few pounds in a week, which you shouldn't do. Calm down and enjoy your 133lbs. I wish it was me. LOL!
  • GraceB2God
    GraceB2God Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    **Soonergirl said it true... "Muscle weighs heavier then fat." You might be losing fat and the little extra weight is muscle. :)
    Plus all the Woman factors we get to deal with. Yay ~huh~ DON'T GIVE UP!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    If your doing weights then you may be gainning muscle and muscle weighs more then fat.

NO.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat.
  • Sebani
    Options
    I try to use a scale and count calories but it's almost near impossible to when you cook your own food since everything gets mixed in with other stuff and you can't measure it to a tee. Same with eating out. The only way I can 100% know how many calories I ate in a day is by eating prepacakged foods that have calories listed on the package lol

And I'm 5'6 133 is okay but it's still a little chubby on me. I have fat inner thighs and a bit of a tummy :P
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I try to use a scale and count calories but it's almost near impossible to when you cook your own food since everything gets mixed in with other stuff and you can't measure it to a tee. Same with eating out. The only way I can 100% know how many calories I ate in a day is by eating prepacakged foods that have calories listed on the package lol

And I'm 5'6 133 is okay but it's still a little chubby on me. I have fat inner thighs and a bit of a tummy :P

Use the recipe builder. Find the entries in the database with no asterisks. I actually think building your own recipes is the most accurate method.

So what's your calorie goal? Have you been meeting it?

Edited to add-- I think what you should do is keep lifting (if you haven't got a program yet I'd recommend Stronglifts 5 x 5) and eat at a very slight deficit. Set MFP to lose half a pound a week and eat back half your exercise calories.

And stop weighing so much if it's going to upset you. You need to understand that weight fluctuates. Sodium, food in your system, and water retention from exercise and time of month can all make the scale show a higher weight, but none of those things means you're gaining fat. Log accurately, stick to your goal, and trust the process.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Anyways someone please figure out what I'm doing wrong
    Without an accurate idea of how many calories you're consuming and how many you're burning during working out, there is nothing to figure out.
  • Sebani
    Options
    I think 1400 calories is a fair goal and I'm pretty sure I'm meeting it (if not below). I'll try to track foods I actually make on my own but I still find it to be a difficult task.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I try to use a scale and count calories but it's almost near impossible to when you cook your own food since everything gets mixed in with other stuff and you can't measure it to a tee.
    I don't understand this. I do this perfectly fine. Weighing the individual ingredients is easy.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I think 1400 calories is a fair goal and I'm pretty sure I'm meeting it (if not below). I'll try to track foods I actually make on my own but I still find it to be a difficult task.
    It's really important to track what you're burning. Not eating enough and gaining weight is very common.