Has anybody else noticed this when losing fat?

Options
So I've read up on Lyle McDonald's "of whooshes and squishy fat" theory, and it makes some sense to me. Just curious if others have noticed this happening? At some points during my fat loss diet (and currently) I look and feel softer. I look at my stomach in the mirror, flex it, and it appears softer....or almost like my bf% has gone up slightly even when I know it hasn't because my diet and exercise is on point, and my weight is slowly dropping.

I wasn't "fat" when I started this diet, but my body fat % was high (around 18% or so if I had to guess). I was what they call skinny-fat. I liked completely normal in clothes, but was very soft underneath. I do IF (intermittent fasting) for 16-21 hours a day 6-7 days a week as well. Just wondering if this sounds like fat is "breaking up" and loosening as a result of diet and exercise, or could it be something in my diet making me look this way

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not sure about theory you mention... but it sounds to me like maybe you could be losing muscle too causing you to not see as much definition.

That happens many times when people lose weight too fast (not saying you are) or if they don't exercise along with drastic change in eating habits. They think they are losing all fat but really its muscle too. Then they end up looking "softer" and almost not as healthy as before when they had more muscle/fat on their body.
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm not familiar with the program you are on, but it sounds to me like you are starving yourself. Essentially, you are eating one meal a day, correct? This will lose muscle at a rapid pace. Hence, the softness.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I cannot say I do. I have nice muscle definition and the only way it can be seen is for me to lose more fat. I really start to look as fit on the outside as I am on the inside when I lose the fat.

Nothing is more frustrating than being able to easily run in a half marathon and still appear fat...that toned fit body just sits under it.

However, I'm a strong believer that diet and exercise critically go together.
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've never seen that article before, but just read it from where Dana31601 posted it.

Very interesting. I'm observing something similar to this, myself. I'll bounce around in a range of one pound — we're talking a few ounces up and down each day — and then suddenly I'll have a drop of a couple of pounds. Then the same thing will happen again for several days — maybe up to a week or two — then another big drop.

The theory seems to make sense to me. Glad to know others are experiencing the same thing. :smile:
  • bryann9182
    bryann9182 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My macros are at 55 fat, 185 carb, 140 protein. I eat all my calories over a 4-8 hour span, 3 meals total. I'm 5'7" 136.5lbs currently. 23 y/o male. I'm at 5 cardio sessions a weeek. Low intensity (3.5 mph walks) for 40-60 min. I supplement BCAAs and keep my protein slightly above 1g per pound of body weight. I heard the body won't go catabolic unless you're fasting for 48 hours+ or extremely calorie deprived. I would think the BCAA supplementation and protein intake would limit muscle loss no? I weight train 4x's a week quite heavy.
  • bryann9182
    Options
    Also supplementing OxyElite Pro (3 caps per day), Yohimbine HCL (6 caps per day), and green tea extract (2 caps per day)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    "As folks get very lean, down to the last pounds of fat, the skin and fat cells that are left will often change appearance and texture. It will look dimply (as the fat cells which are supporting the skin shrink and the skin isn’t supported) and feel squishy to the touch. This is bad in that it looks really weird, but it’s good because it means that the fat is going away. I have nothing truly profound to say about this topic, just realizes that it happens and usually indicates good things are happening."

I am certainly not lean yet but this is what is happening on my tummy, where I carried the most weight.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes, my lost fat got squishy and looser before I lost it. It's so flappy and hangs on my belt so much that
    I think i gained some fat, but its actually just loose fat.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Shhhh... I'm listening for my overdue whoosh.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So I've read up on Lyle McDonald's "of whooshes and squishy fat" theory, and it makes some sense to me. Just curious if others have noticed this happening? At some points during my fat loss diet (and currently) I look and feel softer. I look at my stomach in the mirror, flex it, and it appears softer....or almost like my bf% has gone up slightly even when I know it hasn't because my diet and exercise is on point, and my weight is slowly dropping.

I wasn't "fat" when I started this diet, but my body fat % was high (around 18% or so if I had to guess). I was what they call skinny-fat. I liked completely normal in clothes, but was very soft underneath. I do IF (intermittent fasting) for 16-21 hours a day 6-7 days a week as well. Just wondering if this sounds like fat is "breaking up" and loosening as a result of diet and exercise, or could it be something in my diet making me look this way

yes! From time to time, my losses have slowed (for a few weeks) and then I'll notice the fat, on my stomach in particular, looking a certain way in the mirror. Almost like I've suddenly developed cellulite there. And the fat feels 'looser' and more jiggly. Then a "whoosh" within a few days, by which I mean, not losing anything per the scale for say 3 weeks, then a 2-5 pound drop overnight (I weigh daily). This has happened to me at least 3 times over the 49 lbs I've lost to date. And it usually coincides with a drastic change to what I'm doing in my workouts.

I've read that article you posted before and I think it's a fascinating theory. Bodies are fascinating!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My macros are at 55 fat, 185 carb, 140 protein. I eat all my calories over a 4-8 hour span, 3 meals total. I'm 5'7" 136.5lbs currently. 23 y/o male. I'm at 5 cardio sessions a weeek. Low intensity (3.5 mph walks) for 40-60 min. I supplement BCAAs and keep my protein slightly above 1g per pound of body weight. I heard the body won't go catabolic unless you're fasting for 48 hours+ or extremely calorie deprived. I would think the BCAA supplementation and protein intake would limit muscle loss no? I weight train 4x's a week quite heavy.

I really don't feel like doing the math to check your TDEE and total caloric intake. Just make sure that you are not cutting calories by too large a margin. Aim for about 1 pound per week (500 calories per day). Otherwise it sounds like you're on the right track, just be patient.
  • felinaslp
    felinaslp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wasn't "fat" when I started this diet, but my body fat % was high (around 18% or so if I had to guess). I was what they call skinny-fat. I

OMG, 18% is high body fat????? I'd be more than thrilled with 18%...
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    ugh...
  • bryann9182
    Options

I really don't feel like doing the math to check your TDEE and total caloric intake. Just make sure that you are not cutting calories by too large a margin. Aim for about 1 pound per week (500 calories per day). Otherwise it sounds like you're on the right track, just be patient.

TDEE calculators give me anywhere 2150 and 2350 for my TDEE, so let's just round it down to 2,200. Those macros add up to 1,795 calories, so that's about a 400 calorie deficit there. Can't imagine walking for 40-60 minutes a day burns a TON of a calories, so I think i'm anywhere from like a 500-700 calorie deficit daily. Unless I'm badly mistaken on the logic, that doesn't seem like a "muscle burning" deficit to me.
  • bryann9182
    Options
    I wasn't "fat" when I started this diet, but my body fat % was high (around 18% or so if I had to guess). I was what they call skinny-fat. I

OMG, 18% is high body fat????? I'd be more than thrilled with 18%...

I could have been higher, I really don't know for certain. It was just a guess, but I wasn't very lean or toned at all. I had barely any ab definition even when flexed. I take it by your username that you're female? If not I apologize lol, but ~20-30% is quite normal for a female.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

TDEE calculators give me anywhere 2150 and 2350 for my TDEE, so let's just round it down to 2,200. Those macros add up to 1,795 calories, so that's about a 400 calorie deficit there. Can't imagine walking for 40-60 minutes a day burns a TON of a calories, so I think i'm anywhere from like a 500-700 calorie deficit daily. Unless I'm badly mistaken on the logic, that doesn't seem like a "muscle burning" deficit to me.

The walking probably burns somewhere between 200-300 extra calories. It sounds like all your numbers look good, you just have to be patient. If after 6 weeks you still don't see a significant improvement in body composition then it might be time to go back and re-evaluate. Hopefully you took some "before" photo's!