Chalean Extreme...ladies...how "heavy" do you lift for L.E.?

Options
tlnurse
tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
Sooooooo.....I'm on my "3rd" round of 90 days of Chalean Extreme. She always says "go heavy or go home". The 1st time, I don't think I went nearly heavy enough.

The 2nd time around, I used mostly 30 lbs (15 each side) for L.E. squats, lunges....and 8-15 for U.E. (15 each side for chest fly's), 8-10 for overhead triceps.

Is that heavy enough? How heavy do you lift...and with what results? I:drinker: want to mostly "tone", but not "bulk" up.

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I haven't done CE, but I think what you're going to hear is lift as heavy as you can without sacrificing form, heavy enough that you can't keep going past the last rep.

You're a woman, you can't bulk up without external help like steroids.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've completed Chalean yet, but I finished week 1. I'm doing pretty much what you're doing! And I feel it all over. I suppose if we feel it, we must be doing something right!
  • Mischelina
    Mischelina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just started Burn Week 2. The heaviest pair of weights I have are 15lbs each, but I feel like I need heavier for lower body exercises.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My heaviest weights are 15 lbs, so I'm kinda like you. I am not quite ready to go heavier -- but I wish I could find 17 lbs weights somewhere. It seems like the next step is 20 lbs, and that's kind of a big jump.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Heavy is purely subjective. It's what is heavy for you. If you feel challenged and reach failure then you're good. If you are beginning to feel less challenged and don't reach failure then it's time to move up. Currently, I'm using 9lb. to 15lb. (each) dumbbells for upper body and 18lb. to 24lb. (each) dumbbells for lower body. I can tell I'll probably need to order a heavier set of adjustable dumbbells in the near future.

Results-wise, I'm lifting the heaviest I've ever lifted (free weights) but the only place I'm putting on any muscle/tone is my lower body. I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised by my bottom half results (I finally have a butt!) but my arms, always a weak spot, are still pretty pathetic. I do my own hybrid (CLX for strength, Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam for cardio) and I'm just finishing up my 8th week of Push. I'll start back up on Burn next week and I'm hoping I'll need heavier weights when I move back into Push in June.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    WOMEN WILL NOT BULK UP. We lack the proper amounts of testosterone to do so. So erase that concern from your mind, unless you're abusing steroids, you need not fear.

I lift as heavy as I can while maintaining proper form. Right now my bests are squats 135lbs, deadlift 115lbs, bench 65lbs. Beyond that, most of my upper body work with dumbells is usually 20-30lb dumbells. Low body I use pretty much just barbells now, but my calf raises are up to 70lbs, and I can probably more up.

Just make sure you're challenging yourself each day. As long as you are struggling, you are lifting "heavy."
  • jessvolpe
    jessvolpe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do as much weight as you can without sacrificing form! I use powerblocks that go up to 24 lbs on each side so 48 total...they may be worth investing in :)