Eating the wrong foods..but within your cals??

Options
So im a college student, i don't have many options of good food here. I can either force feed myself veggies or i can just try and pick some kind of grilled chicken sandwich. After a while though i get annoyed with eating those same things everyyyyy singleee day!! Im not trying to lose weight just maintain and tone. Today i had pizza for lunch and then i had a small Wendys meal for dinner(my campus has a wendys). I know those are horrible food choices but i still have about 1000 calories left for the day. I go to the gym everyday and workout for a while. I guess what im asking is how bad is it to eat foods that aren't so great but within your calorie range still? And for those of you who are gonna say go out and buy healthier food.... I have 4 dollars to my name right now so thats not an option! LMAO

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    For weight loss/gain/maintenance it doesn't matter what you eat. Calories are calories. Some foods provide better benefits, but at the end of the day, as long as you are within your daily goal, you're fine. You can eat 2000 calories of chocolate and be fine as long as that is the right amount of calories for you. Your body obviously benefits from healthier food though.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You're going to get two diametrically opposed answers to this question, and it's probably going to degenerate into an argument between those two factions.

Personally I like the middle ground - hit your macros, get enough fruits and veg to get your micros, and avoid trans fat. Beyond that, eat what you need to meet your energy requirements, enjoy life, and stop stressing about food. It's done wonders for me (see ticker).
  • MarianneElizabethRDH
    Options
    You're going to get two diametrically opposed answers to this question, and it's probably going to degenerate into an argument between those two factions.

Personally I like the middle ground - hit your macros, get enough fruits and veg to get your micros, and avoid trans fat. Beyond that, eat what you need to meet your energy requirements, enjoy life, and stop stressing about food. It's done wonders for me (see ticker).

Exactly what I think! You're not going to go the rest of your life and never eat a "treat" again. If you are, bravo! But I could never do it. This is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. It's changing your frame of mind!
  • kevinxkung
    Options
    Hi Shae,

Here's a simple question that I think would help you answer your question. Let's say you took the 1000 calories that you had remaining that day and you chose to eat one of the two options below (these are extreme examples but I think you'll get the idea):

1 - 1000 calories worth of doughnuts
    2 - 1000 calories worth of chicken breast

It's true that both options have an equal amount of calories but which do you think is better for you? Well it's kind of a trick question since neither choice would be great as neither one offers any balance. But if I had to choose based on a 'calorie in calorie out' weight loss framework then the better choice would be option 2. That's because option 2 is mainly protein, which requires more calories/energy to digest than fats and carbohydrates. So the net calorie impact of option 2 is less than that of option 1.

Then there's the issue of 'empty' calories. These are mostly refined, sugary foods, that don't give you much in the way of nutritional benefits. All things equal, I believe that the quality of the calorie does matter. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that :(

Anywhow, I hope that helps!

Kevin
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Pizza Friday Nights & Mac n Cheese Saturdays keep me sane...I love healthy foods (veggies, fruits, cottage cheese, yogurt...all of that good stuff) but you just have to find a balance and just fit it in your calories & macros.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Lost 100 pounds on a diet made of a lot of 'junk food'
    I make sure I get enough protein and that I'm satisfied.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Wendy's or pizza aren't completely horrible. Both in the same day are not so great, but … once in a while is okay. You probably have more food options than you realize; for example, a salad and baked potato from wendy's is better sometimes than a burger and fries (just watch the toppings!). I'm guessing you have a meal plan, so you feel a need to eat on campus most of the time, but it is still possible to buy yourself fresh fruits and veggies a couple of times a week, so you can pick what you know you like.

It is important to get some veggies every day. I'm sorry you feel like you're having to "force-feed" to get them in. Maybe a vegetable lovers pizza would be a good option once in a while. It's also a good idea to get fruits in daily.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So im a college student, i don't have many options of good food here. I can either force feed myself veggies or i can just try and pick some kind of grilled chicken sandwich. After a while though i get annoyed with eating those same things everyyyyy singleee day!! Im not trying to lose weight just maintain and tone. Today i had pizza for lunch and then i had a small Wendys meal for dinner(my campus has a wendys). I know those are horrible food choices but i still have about 1000 calories left for the day. I go to the gym everyday and workout for a while. I guess what im asking is how bad is it to eat foods that aren't so great but within your calorie range still? And for those of you who are gonna say go out and buy healthier food.... I have 4 dollars to my name right now so thats not an option! LMAO

All of the responses are correct, in that at the end of the day, it's about calories in vs. calories out. However, no one has flagged your statement about you're desire to "just maintain and tone". What does this mean?

The word "toning" means jack, but many people use it to explain their desire to look "firmer", appear more muscular. If this is what you mean, then what you're referring to is shedding the soft layer covering your muscles. That means you're looking to lose fat, which would require a caloric deficit, and you've given no stats on how you arrived at your total daily caloric intake number, or what it is, exactly.

If you're simply looking to maintain the number you currently see on the scale, and the current composition of your body (ie muscle to fat ratio), then just stay within your maintenance calories (by eating fruit or fries, whichever).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ This is a solid outlook.
  • learninmama
    learninmama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh how I feel you! On my days off I am able to cook & load myself up with tons of veggies & fruits...on work days not so much with 12 hour shifts...I just make sure I pack plenty of snacks that fall within my calorie range....sugar free fruit cups, popcorn, etc....not the best but I still feel like it's better than what I used to do. I'm still losing & keeping my sanity....do what YOU have to do.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    as long as you a r e under your calories u are good but i would try to put some healthier food in there
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Wow! You got this answer right out of the gate. Listen to this.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Now, will the thread end on a reasonable note?
    If history is an indication, no.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Now, will the thread end on a reasonable note?
    If history is an indication, no.

shhhhh... beetlejuice.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I tried the whole eating clean thing, stuck to it for about 2 weeks or so, didn't really lose much. As soon as I introduced some carbs that I normally eat, and/or treat foods BAM I started to lose more.

Years ago I used to work at a job where I'd be required to walk 8 hours a day. I ate whatever I wanted, probably more fast food than I wanted to. I got down to a size 8 from a size 11-13 in the matter of 6 months.

You cant deprive your body of treats here and there. I eat pretty good 6 out of 7 days a week, i don't drink and im working on cutting out pop out of my diet completely, or restricting it to one can once a week (i'm addicted to the fizz). I for the most part eat my macros while still enjoying the foods I love, i watch portion sizes, and drink lots of water.

Keep doin what you are doing, especially if its working!
  • ShaeLovelyy
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone! Im going to try and mix it up a bit more tomorrow. I usually eat fruits and yogurt too but then i see the amazing fresh cooked pizza and it gets the best of me sometimes! haha all your advice is taken into account! and for the guy who said what do i mean by toning....i mean building muscle and looking more defined. I mean getting that ab look for my stomach and being able to flex and see the cuts. Thanks for all the responses!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Wendys and premade pizza are actually a lot more expensive than making healthy food yourself.
  • ShaeLovelyy
    Options
    Wendys and premade pizza are actually a lot more expensive than making healthy food yourself.

I have a standard meal plan...so its not actually costing me money out of my pocket..i swipe my school ID card and have a certain amount of meal points per semester..sure ill be paying it back in loans later in life..but thats definite money i have for the meal plan..i cant buy food with my student ID card in a grocery store lmao
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Diets of seclusion dont work cause then you'll just binge on the bad stuff...eat what you want but be smart about it. Also, dont just look at the calories; you can be skinny as a twig but still have high cholesterol and clogged arteries