Couch to 5K on the Treadmill?

Options
I was wondering how to do the c25k on the treadmill. Is it possible? Anyone doing this and if so how do you program the treadmill?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25K on the treadmill. I'm on Week 6 now. I use the C25K Lite android app on my tablet, for cues when to walk and run. There are number of apps and podcasts which can be useful, but I haven't really explored the alternatives much.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've completed it on the treadmill. Just go by the time listed on the coolrunning site. You have to manually adjust the speeds for walk and jog.
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You both answered my questions!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Ok, how do you not fly off the treadmill when running? I have an awful time keeping my balance and I look like an idiot. I want to do the Couch to 5K but can't seem to get a run going on there.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k modified for the treadmill. Wasn't much different.

Do yourself a favor and change the incline periodically. I run with the incline from 0-3 when I need to use the treadmill.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Sure is! I'm nearly to Week 5, and I've done all of it on the treadmill.

If you have an mp3 player, I would definitely recommend a podcast to give you running/walking cues. I tried just writing the times on a paper and watching the timer, but it made it a lot harder. Good luck with it! :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started on the elliptical, because I was worried about my knees. After a couple weeks, I started over on the treadmill. I transitioned to outdoor running on the end of week 3 on the treadmill, because the weather was so nice. There is no problem with running it on the treadmill, but just know that you will face an extra challenge when transitioning to outdoor running. Treadmills and outdoor running use slightly different muscle combinations.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Ok, how do you not fly off the treadmill when running? I have an awful time keeping my balance and I look like an idiot. I want to do the Couch to 5K but can't seem to get a run going on there.

When I started on the treadmill, I had horrible balance. Between running and doing other leg muscle building cardio (arc trainer), my balance has improved 95%. I can still wobble occasionally when I am wiping the sweat off my face.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in Dec 2010, did the first two days outside, then got hit with back to back to back snow and ice storms. Did the rest on the treadmill. When the weather got nice again, I moved outdoors again.

On c25k.com there's a treadmill friendly version that you can print out, that tells you when to walk and when to run. Use the "speed interval" setting and set your jog speed to your walk speed, and the run speed to your run speed, then you just have to push the one button when you switch, rather than manually adjusting the speed up and down.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can! :)

I did and it was great. A lot of people don't like the treadmill (aka "dreadmill") but I love it -- I break out the tacky magazines and read while I run. I found running outside too difficult on my joints, whereas running on the treadmill gives me a bit of cushion (although I'm looking to start running occasionally on an indoor track here with lined floors). Also, I live in a area with way too many steep hills.

Good to change up the incline slightly, though, as others have mentioned.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

practice makes perfect :smile:
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. i didn't expect to get so many replies. They are all very helpful. I look forward to starting c25k.
  • LindaLou252
    LindaLou252 Posts: 106
    Options
    If you have an mp3 player, I would definitely recommend a podcast to give you running/walking cues. I tried just writing the times on a paper and watching the timer, but it made it a lot harder. Good luck with it! :)
    [/quote]

Great advice!!! Gonna work on it right now! :)
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a treadmill this week just to do this program at home :)
  • chomer75
    chomer75 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can definitely do it on a treadmill and that's great if the weather is bad. However if you can get outside I'd strongly recommend you give it a go. For me it seems far less of a chore when outside and time seems to pass much more quickly. I think this is because on the treadmill you can can't avoid looking at how long you've been running for (and therefore how long you've got left!) whereas outside you can easily avoid looking at the clock and measure your progress by passing landmarks along the route.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this program exclusively on the treadmill. It's a great way for me to control my speed and make sure I don't over-exert myself and get discouraged. This program is awesome. I'm so happy I started it four weeks ago!
  • Hayley_Lechler
    Options
    For everyone that says they have done it on the treadmill what pace do you run at?
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    This is great information, thank you. Just downloaded the app.:happy:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

When I started on the treadmill, I had horrible balance. Between running and doing other leg muscle building cardio (arc trainer), my balance has improved 95%. I can still wobble occasionally when I am wiping the sweat off my face.

I tried it on the treadmill and failed miserably. I could not get into a "jog" motion until I had the treadmill going so fast that I could not breathe (about 4.0 mph). I'm very out of shape and have poor cardio endurance, so that didn't help. Like others, I had concerns about my balance. There was just something about "jogging" on the treadmill that did not feel right. So, I tried it again on unmoving ground, using the advice on the C25k website, which is to jog as slowly as possible. Voila! Week 1 complete!

I am not ready to go on to Week 2 and I probably won't be for several more weeks. But I would encourage others who have a hard time doing it on the treadmill to give it a try OFF the treadmill before giving up. If I can do Week 1, ANYONE can do Week 1.
  • JessicaHeathfield
    JessicaHeathfield Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for my new treadmill to arrive, hopefully get it by the end of this week. I'm definitely starting Couch to 5k as soon as I get it! Hoping to drop weight quicker than I am using my bike.