Would you wear your HRM in Mudrun???

I have my first of several obstacle course races this weekend. I own a Polar FT40 HRM, it says its water resistant to a certain depth, but what about mud and dirt? I am extremely intersted in what I burn for this 5 mile event but can not afford to replace it if damaged.

So would you wear your hear rate monitor in an obstacle course mud run???

Many Thanks!!!

Replies

• elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    I have a polar and yes- I wear it in mud runs. :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I wouldn't. I'd be more worried about the strap and transporter than the watch. It could be totally fine though. Up to you! That sounds really fun though!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    I was curious too but decided against it last year when I did Rebel Race. The replacement parts can be expensive. But it does say water resistant....I think I will wear mine this year when I do Savage Race. I'm very curious to see what the burn is as well!

Good luck at your race :P
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    I know it's not the same but I wore mine for a Color Me Rad 5K this weekend...water and color getting sprayed and such...and mine was just fine.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    I probably would not. However, I was not smart when I got my HRM (a looooong time ago LOL), and it is light pink and very hard to get clean. I would not want it to be permanently stained, and I'm sure it would be. Also, I would be worried about breaking either part, as a new HRM isn't in the budget for me right now.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Good question and great answers. Now I know it's safe to wear mine in the Color Me Rad 5k later this year!

The only thing I'd add is to try to rinse it off as soon as possible and wash the strap when you get home.

P.S. If you've replaced any of the batteries, the water resistance may be compromised. Just something to keep in mind.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    If you really can't afford another I'd say no. Would totally ruin your race if you broke it!