Asking help for knee issues that just won't go away!

Options
I've been dealing with stiff knees now for about a month, which is very odd for me. Usually, unless it's something small, the problem tends to right itself and go away within a few DAYS. But, I can't be certain exactly what this is, or what's causing it. When it first started, I had finally begun loosing some weight out of my thighs, so I guessed it had to do with the muscles loosing the extra fat under them, and having to adjust and tighten up.

Then, I noticed it felt like I was hyper extending one or both knees when I was swimming breast stroke. I've modified the kick, and have had to focus on ensuring I don't put much lateral stress on either knee, because that is a guaranteed flare up of stiffness within an hour of getting out of the pool.

But, recently, it seems to be getting worse, and my trainer doesn't seem to be listening. I've had to stop doing body weight squats (which used to LOOSEN the joints up, and they'd feel fine for a day or so) because when ever I try to dip down past parallel, it feels like the joint is trying to separate. Same goes for the leg press. Up to about 80% of body weight, I can get past vertical without issues, but once the next plate goes on (and it doesn't matter WHAT weight it is), the joints start yelling, and feeling like they are trying to separate.

I know there are exercises available that help strengthen the muscles around the knee, I just don't know what they are. When I try to google exercises, I keep winding up with pretty much the same set of physical therapy exercises. Some I can see their usefulness, and am working on incorporating them into an evening routine, others I just don't see how they are applicable.

Any suggestions? I do have access to a weight room at school, but they have a limited number of machines. And, I'm not real familiar with the free weights, so if you're suggesting along those lines, please either give a good description, or a link, so I can look it up.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried KT Tape? I don't have much experience but that stuff helped me with my running.
  • kegger1997
    Options
    i had the exact same problem you are describong and no othropedic dr could fix me. told me to give it time. now it swells while workin gout. so a friend is a chiropractor adn he saw me in his office and told me what the problem wass in the first five min. not my knee at all. it is my hip. left hip is lower than right therefore putting preasure on left knee. started adjustmens, tens unit and tharopy and after 4 weeks, even tho it is still somewhat swollen, it is begining to feel better. he too says it will take time to heal but is actually soing something that helps. there are excersises you can do but har to explain. talk to a chiropractor who uses the tens unit (little electrical pulses) and ask what excersises he recommends and follow thru

as far as squats go, he says to do mini half squats and focus on inner knee muscles.

hope this helps
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    i had the exact same problem you are describong and no othropedic dr could fix me. told me to give it time. now it swells while workin gout. so a friend is a chiropractor adn he saw me in his office and told me what the problem wass in the first five min. not my knee at all. it is my hip. left hip is lower than right therefore putting preasure on left knee. started adjustmens, tens unit and tharopy and after 4 weeks, even tho it is still somewhat swollen, it is begining to feel better. he too says it will take time to heal but is actually soing something that helps. there are excersises you can do but har to explain. talk to a chiropractor who uses the tens unit (little electrical pulses) and ask what excersises he recommends and follow thru

as far as squats go, he says to do mini half squats and focus on inner knee muscles.

hope this helps

Actually it does. I've been having some back problems too, but since the knees developed after the back quit giving me grief, I didn't relate the two. And, since I tow my books everywhere, that makes sense the issue would be in the opposite knee. Now I just have to get hold of my chiropractor... again. ::Grins::

Thanks!
  • kegger1997
    Options
    i would love to hear what he/she says. i had such a huge problem with egotistical pompous arrogant orthopedic doctor that i was about to give up and think that this comes with age and mileage. i have not felt this good since Jan. thanks to the chiropractor. and to think i was a huge skeptic about them. i am a believer now.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    I'll be sure to update once I can get hold of them. I've been a believe since I was little - they put me back together again after getting thrown from a horse a time too many. Or, like recently, they just put me back together when things went out for no reason. But, the biggest key is finding a chiropractor that works with you. I've run into a few that make me wonder where they got their license! But, a good one is worth their weight in gold.
  • Meemilla
    Meemilla Posts: 46
    Options
    I would go see an orthopedic doctor. You don't want to start having torn ligaments which can result in complete tears if untreated. I had a complete tear of my ACL and it took months to recover and surgery. And I also see a chiropractor.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have gotten a lot of help from an orthopedist, two physical therapists, and my Alexander teacher. A good orthopedist has access to diagnostic tools that an alternative practitioner may not. For me, it has been key to keep on doing the exercises prescribed for me, day after day. Sometimes I lapse, but, over time, my legs/knees are stronger, I carry myself better. ("Right use" is important to minimize wear-and-tear--though it is probably not possible to eliminate it. We are creatures living in gravity, after all.) Weight loss is already helping my knees and hips. should say that I do not ask myself to have to same program that a person with sound knees might undertake. Gentle. Easy. Recumbent bike for cardio rather than treadmill. Walking rather than running. Etc..
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    @ fabulara - I'm actually waiting on 3 things before I get serious chasing after a recumbent trike.

1) I have to get under 300, which is the highest I've seen any of the trike frames rated for. (about 3 pounds to go!)
    2) Since I'm a student, I'm also waiting to hear what my financial aid will be for next year/semester, so I know how much I need to set aside in addition to. (Those trikes are EXPENSIVE! But, I plan on using it for my primary transportation... save some on gas at least)
    3) Again a student caused issue - Trying to get a job again. The last one bailed on me when my schedule changed this semester.

If all these can come together, then I intend to have a new trike before the weather warms up too much to even THINK of venturing out in it after 8 am, so that I can start getting used to using it to get around. ::Grins:: Once I can make the transition, I won't have to worry about missing a day of cardio again. We live 12 miles outside of the nearest town, and we even have a few smallish hills to make things interesting up and down the back roads.

Right now I've been doing some lifting, and have found a few of the upper limits of what I can bear. I know that if I can keep pushing the limits gently things should start getting better. I'm especially eager for my legs to finish straightening out from the excess weight caused knock kneed posture!
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Turbofire for almost 11 weeks now and I do A LOT of jumping...lately my knees have been hurting sooo bad,..but if I stretch REALLY good (like 13mins everyday) I don't have any issues..stretching makes my body feel great!! If I don't stretch I'm in pain...