Women + press ups

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    [ignores the drama above]

The other thing you can try is a fist push-up (a.k.a. knuckle push-up), if you have wrist pain from the regular ones. They don't stress your wrists as much because they are not flexing. They are surprisingly easy--you see martial artists doing them because they help you punch things better, but I'm a girl and I can do 10 of them easily.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

It's funny when weak people try to talk about stamina as an excuse for being...well...weak. Like somehow lifting an ACTUAL weight is going to take away their ability to carry a backpack for more than 15 seconds. Further, the army has pushups as part of their required physical training regime because it's an activity accessible by anyone, anywhere. The idea being that they need to be able to do PT anywhere, and there might not be a gym nearby.

i'm not weak?

And people who lift aren't just trying to build bulky muscles that do nothing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    For gods sake boys, put your d**ks away and stop arguing. Pushups are great for building strength, how on earth are you meant to get better at things LIKE bench press if you cant push your own weight off the ground. They will not give you the crazy pec muscles that benching 100kg will, but they will help strengthen that general area and keep it looking nice if you have a low enough BF%. Now stop.

Seriously, this. LOL.

To the OP, train the negative portion of the press up--it works wonders! To do this, get into press up position (guy style, up on your toes instead of your knees), lower yourself to the ground as slowly as possible. Then, put your knees down and press yourself back up. Rinse and repeat. Works GREAT!

I love push ups, press ups, whatever you want to call them. Bodyweight exercises are fantastic for both men and women. No, push ups or press ups will not make you "bulky". They will make you stronger, though!

Enjoy.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

It's funny when weak people try to talk about stamina as an excuse for being...well...weak. Like somehow lifting an ACTUAL weight is going to take away their ability to carry a backpack for more than 15 seconds. Further, the army has pushups as part of their required physical training regime because it's an activity accessible by anyone, anywhere. The idea being that they need to be able to do PT anywhere, and there might not be a gym nearby.

i'm not weak?

And people who lift aren't just trying to build bulky muscles that do nothing.

which is exactly what i said?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    For gods sake boys, put your d**ks away and stop arguing. Pushups are great for building strength, how on earth are you meant to get better at things LIKE bench press if you cant push your own weight off the ground. They will not give you the crazy pec muscles that benching 100kg will, but they will help strengthen that general area and keep it looking nice if you have a low enough BF%. Now stop.

Seriously, this. LOL.

To the OP, train the negative portion of the press up--it works wonders! To do this, get into press up position (guy style, up on your toes instead of your knees), lower yourself to the ground as slowly as possible. Then, put your knees down and press yourself back up. Rinse and repeat. Works GREAT!

I love push ups, press ups, whatever you want to call them. Bodyweight exercises are fantastic for both men and women. No, push ups or press ups will not make you "bulky". They will make you stronger, though!

Enjoy.

But I like whipping it out...

This is a good point. I do think if you have any intention of progressing into weight lifting you should be doing bench press and the like as well, but there's certainly nothing wrong with pushups. I do lots. Variations are nice too, as well as working towards a one arm pushup (though depending on how many you can do that may or may not be a long way off).
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They are good for women too as they work your pectoral muscles - which help keep your "girls" from bumping on your knees.:laugh:

Hahahaha! Bump!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You could start with planks as well - that will build up your core and, if you start out on your elbows, your poor wrists won't suffer.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

The other thing you can try is a fist push-up (a.k.a. knuckle push-up), if you have wrist pain from the regular ones. They don't stress your wrists as much because they are not flexing. They are surprisingly easy--you see martial artists doing them because they help you punch things better, but I'm a girl and I can do 10 of them easily.

Good tip, thanks for that! I've problems with tendonitis in both arms, (thankfully not usually at the same time!) and I find push-ups hard. The added bend at my wrist when I push-up seems to agravate it more so I'll definitely give this a go when I get home tonight (I work in a glass office, people here think I'm weird enough ;) )
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Good tip, thanks for that! I've problems with tendonitis in both arms, (thankfully not usually at the same time!) and I find push-ups hard. The added bend at my wrist when I push-up seems to agravate it more so I'll definitely give this a go when I get home tonight (I work in a glass office, people here think I'm weird enough ;) )

It's not pushups, but I find reverse grip benching reduces wrist strain tremendously. Be careful though, it's called suicide grip for a reason.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that there seems to be some kind of weird suggestion here that you cant do bodyweight exercises and lift weights at the same time. Like they somehow don't complement each other. I lift heavy, I also do pushups, pullups, ring rows, etc. Its like saying you cant have apples AND pears ....well, they go bloody well together in a fruit salad.
  • twelfty
    Options
    I'd like to add that there seems to be some kind of weird suggestion here that you cant do bodyweight exercises and lift weights at the same time. Like they somehow don't complement each other. I lift heavy, I also do pushups, pullups, ring rows, etc. Its like saying you cant have apples AND pears ....well, they go bloody well together in a fruit salad.

a very good point, for chest, flies are great too
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    at the risk of seeming logical...

if the weight you are moving pushes your muscles to their limit, you will grow bigger muscles.
    your muscles don't pop their heads out to see what it is that you're lifting.
    the only difference between weights and any other exercise is that you can easily pick up a bigger weight to keep the muscles growing once they reach the size they need to be to cope with the previous weight.

press ups will increase the size of your pecs & arm muscles. to a point.
    running will increase the size of yout butt & leg muscles. to a point.
    and it you're happy to stop at that point, the sky still won't fall.
  • bumblebums
    Options

I would totally do knuckle push-ups in a glass office :) make those colleagues respect you more!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    They're a great compound exercise, especially since you can do them anywhere. As a bodyweight exercise, they're versatile for scaling (making easier or more difficult).

I'd suggest giving up doing them on your knees though...you're not doing yourself any favors.

I started out trying to do one and instead, just sunk to the floor. That was last year. Today, I'm about to start doing elevated ones (with my feet on a stool).

This is how I got there:
    3-4 sets of 10 reps: Incline press/push ups - put your hands on a bench. Do all 10 reps even if you can't lower yourself fully to the bench. If this is too hard, start with doing them against a wall instead of a bench.
    When that gets easy, move to a lower bench or the floor and repeat
    When that gets easy, start doing close grip push/press ups or elevated (feet on an object)
    Some other variations: planche, one arm, maltese, the list goes on and on

I used to do them 2-3x a week but now I'm doing them 1-2x a week with the You Are Your Own Gym 10 week basic workout plan.

Why do I do them? Because they help make my chest, arms and shoulders look awesome. And I like being functionally strong.
  • _Furio_
    _Furio_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options

quite easily. you start with an empty bar and add weight. it's just a debate, try not to get too worried about two people with a difference of opinion.

Youre hijacking someone elses thread, if you're that bothered take it to PM.

LOLOLOLOLOL you asked me how someone is supposed to get better at benching. the answer is by benching. I'm not hijacking anything.
  • Tats1000
    Tats1000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm so worried about what I've started with the boys above! Lol. My apologies to everyone who's has to read it. But thanks for all your brilliant tips.
    Newcs, why would you give up doing them on my knees? In my eyes, I'm only doing them like that until my arms are strong enough to support my whole body. Then I'll try big boy ones hehe :) x
  • twelfty
    Options
    I'm so worried about what I've started with the boys above! Lol. My apologies to everyone who's has to read it. But thanks for all your brilliant tips.
    Newcs, why would you give up doing them on my knees? In my eyes, I'm only doing them like that until my arms are strong enough to support my whole body. Then I'll try big boy ones hehe :) x
    a good one to progress this quicker is to do as many big boy ones as possible then move to knees and max that out, rest and repeat, you're correct for going at your own pace though, everyone starts somewhere and it depends on your initial strength

form is everything though so when i say max out i mean with correct form
  • bumblebums
    Options
    If you can only do knee push-ups, that's not a bad place to start. Work up to, say, 3 sets of 10 reps, then switch to the full push-ups. Knee push-ups and incline push-ups (where your hands are on a surface above your toes) are just two beginner variations. Some people believe that incline push-ups are better for getting the form down. I'm not convinced--I think there are many "right" ways to train for push-ups.

And they really are some of the best exercise out there for building *functional* strength. Once you master push-ups, you'll never be that girl that cannot open a heavy door.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

I push up on hex dumbbells when I have sore wrists, stops your knuckles hurting too! Don't use round ones, you'll roll away :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

totally this. I do both as well. sometimes in the same workouts, sometimes in their own workouts all to themselves. I like variety. Push ups and bench press compliment each other nicely just like pendlay rows and inverted rows do