You Really CAN Eat More!!

Options
2»

Replies

• sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've never ate 1200 calories!! When I started it set me up around 1700 (I think) and then as I kept losing weight it would keep lowering my calorie count for the day. Finally I got to 1450 or so and I was always binging because it just wasn't enough food! I found IPOARM (TDEE explained and such) and calculated my calories out to 1708 to eat more and still lose weight. I've been all over the place the last few weeks so I haven't really been able to see if it's working properly, but I feel much better eating more :)
  • clareabow
    clareabow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank u ! :smile:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get super grumpy unless I eat enough - I don't understand people who force themselves to eat as little as possible.

My plan is to practice eating near to maintenance for the weight I want to be, because I want to be able to stay that weight when I get there. For me, this works out to about 1800 calories a day (before exercise).
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories to 1460 this week. I set my goals to lose 1/2 lb a week instead of a pound. I am experimenting to see what happens. 1200 isn't doing much for me at all.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy, Thank you!!!!!

Someone with a brain!!!!!!!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I started at 1200 too and then increased. I'm currently eating between 1500 and 1600 a day (depending on my meals it's hard to hit the 1500 some days)!! It really pays to sit down and do a ton of research. You'll quickly learn that most of those "1200 calories" sources are either out-of-date or extremely lacking in credible information. :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just started trying TDEE and I feel a lot better eating more. Before I was exercising like a crazy person and eating under my bmr. I felt terrible, my concentration was off, ugh. I am eating more and I feel so much better. I hope this works
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    MFP really needs to change the message it shows when you complete an entry because it is totally misleading. One time I accidentally hit the "Complete This Entry" button with only my breakfast calories logged and it told me that if every day was like today, I would lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks...and some people would see that and believe it and say oh hey if I only eat breakfast for 5 weeks I can lose weight!
  • annemw333
    annemw333 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am still sort of figuring out where exactly I need to be calorie-wise. I was at 1200 and am now at 1400 but definitely go over some days and try to eat back most of my exercise calories. I may up it even more though as I am not losing like I was. We will see. It's definitely important not to feel ridiculously deprived or else what we are doing will not stick so on top of more calories often being the ticket to real weight loss, it also means that this is truly a sustainable lifestyle. No one will stick to something that makes them hungry and cranky all the time.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well it worked for me. Down .8 surprisingly.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people join MFP but then don't follow the plan. MFP does not recommend anyone eat 1200 calories and exercise like crazy.

What they need is an instruction page that people can refer to that tells them that they are to NET the 1200 cals by eating back exercise cals. I don't remember anything ever telling me that at the beginning and then when I asked for help on the forum everyone jumped down my throat telling me I wasn't eating enough and I didn't know that I was supposed to eat them back. I thought it was optional.

Really its not hard to work out. When you log your exercise it increases your calories to eat!!!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    MFP really needs to change the message it shows when you complete an entry because it is totally misleading. One time I accidentally hit the "Complete This Entry" button with only my breakfast calories logged and it told me that if every day was like today, I would lose 20 pounds in 5 weeks...and some people would see that and believe it and say oh hey if I only eat breakfast for 5 weeks I can lose weight!

It would have also given you a warning in red text about you not eating enough!
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    I struggled for months just to lose a pound here and there. (I was also eating 1200) After reading tons on here I upped my calories a little at a time. I started losing almost immediately. I am truly thankful for the information I found here.