How to log this

Options
So today i was on my feet all day, never standing still, not sitting down, for 7 hours. I was taking care of kids as part of a summer camp. How would i log this in my exercise log? I can't even think of what to search for, but i know i burned tons of calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just to be on the safe side I would log it under "walking slow pace". Hope you had fun with all those kiddos.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    thanks!

i just inputted it as "walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace" and only for 5 hours, and it was 1549 calories! That seems super high. And that is taking 2 hours off too
  • mab0669
    mab0669 Posts: 29
    Options
    I personally don't log activities as cardio unless it increases my heart rate. I see a lot of people on here trying to figure out how to add breastfeeding, sitting on a ball and so on as exercise. I think that if your heart rate isn't up, then your not burning a lot of calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log activities as cardio unless it increases my heart rate. I see a lot of people on here trying to figure out how to add breastfeeding, sitting on a ball and so on as exercise. I think that if your heart rate isn't up, then your not burning a lot of calories.

People are logging breastfeeding as "exercise" because it is the only way to add in the extra calories that your body NEEDS when you are breastfeeding. I'm sure they don't consider it aerobic exercise, but right now that is the only way to add in calories for circumstances like that. Sitting on an exercise ball is also exercise... not cardio, but strength training... and that can be logged under strength training (which is under cardio). All exercise is not aerobic. You are correct that aerobic exercise builds more calories, but strength training burns some as well and is equally important.
  • melodyg
    Options
    I usually don't add in days like that as exercise either. I do make a note of it, and if I am hungrier than usual I will definitely eat some more calories... but it is *so* hard to figure out how to track for things like that that I don't really log it.

If you do want to log it... is there an exercise for "standing"? I might log it as that. I think childcare is also listed as an exercise (though the calories burned seem high to me unless you are literally chasing children all day).
  • recipe4success
    Options
    this was an unusual day for me (so i am not used to that level of exercise)..but i do see your point. Maybe i'll log it as 2 hours?
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I usually don't add in days like that as exercise either. I do make a note of it, and if I am hungrier than usual I will definitely eat some more calories... but it is *so* hard to figure out how to track for things like that that I don't really log it.

If you do want to log it... is there an exercise for "standing"? I might log it as that. I think childcare is also listed as an exercise (though the calories burned seem high to me unless you are literally chasing children all day).

Yeah, it is really hard to figure out. I looked up standing and the calories are super high also...and i couldn't find childcare in the database at all. In general i find the calorie counts on this website are way off!

I wouldn't consider adding it at all except that this is not my normal daily routine, and so it was really like exercising all day. I was sweating the whole day and my heart rate was up for half of it for sure.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    also as a note, it is more wanting to add this in because of tracking purpose for exercise more than wanting to blow a million extra calories today :)
  • melodyg
    Options
    If you are wanting to do it more for keeping track, why don't you put in walking, 2.0 mph for the hours you did and then manually change the calories to whatever seems right to you? Then just put a note in the exercise notes about what the exercise was.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    If you are wanting to do it more for keeping track, why don't you put in walking, 2.0 mph for the hours you did and then manually change the calories to whatever seems right to you? Then just put a note in the exercise notes about what the exercise was.

Hm that is an idea also. I think the calories for 2 hours seems about right for what i would have burned (600 calories). I had at least 1 hour of actual continuous walking outside, plus all the running around during the day as well.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    check out this website, it shows you what you burn doing the activies you mentioned

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=standing
  • signchik
    signchik Posts: 17
    Options
    I was wondering how to log that type of work too. I have a part time job that's on my feet for 4-8 hours at a time. Not much movement, but constant. So the general consensus is to log it as 1/3 the actual hours as slow walking? Is this what I'm seeing?
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to log that type of work too. I have a part time job that's on my feet for 4-8 hours at a time. Not much movement, but constant. So the general consensus is to log it as 1/3 the actual hours as slow walking? Is this what I'm seeing?

If that is your everyday job, it should already be factored in to the site when you filled out your original profile as part of your lifestyle.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Perhaps wear a heart monitor and see what it logs, it seems to be much more accurate because you program it for your personal size. I use mine with the chest belt when I am doing heavy duty cleaning, gardening, etc. Just to get an idea. I also discount the calories it records just for good measure...not sure why I do that but I do.

The fact that you are moving is great and having fun with the kids even better!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    So today i was on my feet all day, never standing still, not sitting down, for 7 hours. I was taking care of kids as part of a summer camp. How would i log this in my exercise log? I can't even think of what to search for, but i know i burned tons of calories.

Thanks!

gotta love heart rate monitors!!!!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options

When you signed up, the option that said moderate, the one above sitting a desk job already takes that into account.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    google "calories burned standing" and "calories burned sitting", subtract then log the difference

I would guess its and extra 30-70 calories an hour

This is the first link I fournd when doing a quick search:
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5472437_calories-burned-standing-vs-sitting.html
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    People... Just because something is listed in the database as "exercise" doesn't mean you can count it as such. Walking, yes. Standing? Come on. What are you going to add next? Sleeping? Sitting? I think those are in the database too. Standing, cooking, cleaning, these activities are apart of your DAILY CALORIES burned, meaning that for the most part they are already calculated in for you. If your heart rate isn't up then it's really not exercise. Everything you do burns calories, but not everything you do is exercise.
  • signchik
    Options
    when you sign up, your usual amount of movement is calculated into your calorie alotment. We're talking about extra time on your feet. A lot of extra time. Once or twice a week. that isn't calculated in the daily counter. Yet it isn't the same as breathing either. After my day job, daily house chores and walking the dog, going to the second part-time job is extra. 5-8 hours of walking and standing extra. It should count as something. Shouldn't it? Just was wondering how to count it.
  • signchik
    Options
    when you sign up, your usual amount of movement is calculated into your calorie alotment. We're talking about extra time on your feet. A lot of extra time. Once or twice a week. that isn't calculated in the daily counter. Yet it isn't the same as breathing either. After my day job, daily house chores and walking the dog, going to the second part-time job is extra. 5-8 hours of walking and standing extra. It should count as something. Shouldn't it? Just was wondering how to count it.