exercise with asthma

Options
I'm new to this but I love it so far! I have restrictive airway disease which is a pre-asthma condition. It has been extremely hot and humid making it difficult to breathe. I want to start exercising (mostly walking) but don't want to have problems breathing either! HELP

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome to MFP. I to have asthma which sucks, but I try not to let it bring me down. I went on a 4 mile walk today with my toddler in her stroller. It was very hot and humid by the time we got home my shirt was soaked and it looked like I wet my pants lol.

On high heat days make sure you have your inhaler with you, pace yourself according to how your lungs feel. Also if walking is a new thing for you talk to your doctor for some more professional advice.

Jamie
    Oh I also do karate 2-4x per week
  • Notsocorny
    Notsocorny Posts: 37
    Options
    I have heard a couple things to try, one of them I've done myself. 1. Take your inhaler before you go on a walk. 2. for me, I've pushed through it, working on controlling my breathing, if that doesn't work I take the inhaler afterwards. Now, I've got myself feeling ok to not need it.

I hope I helped...:)
    Have a good one.
  • malbrigo
    malbrigo Posts: 2
    Options
    I have Asthma that is exercise and smog (allergen) induced. I've found that doing yoga (which has a lot of breathing exercises in it) has significantly improved my ability to do things like walk, rollerblade, hike and even jog (wow!) with asthma. As long as I pay attention and go slow enough that I can keep my breathing even like I do in yoga I'm OK. The biggest improvement I had was when I did Bikram hot yoga regularly. Also, you can use your inhaler about 20 mins before you start exercising to prevent an allergy attack. I still do this on days when it's hard to breath even without exercise, like days that are really humid or smoggy.

Good luck!