New To Weight Training

Options
I began my journey around the beginning of December in 2012. So far I've lost 20 pounds which I'm very happy with. I've concentrated on changing my ways of eating and just getting more exercise. Right now I'm walking my dog more, attending Zumba for a 1-hour class each week and soon will start softball season for the summer. I was bowling once a week, but the league ended.

I would now like to incorporate some weight training into my routine, but I'm not sure how to go about starting that. I don't know what muscles/muscle groups to start with, how much I should lift, etc. I don't belong to a gym, so I would need to do this with stuff around my house.

Does anyone have any good ideas? :smile:

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    go buy some weights, with a barbell / dumbell , bands/ small medicine ball, jumprope for cardio. Then go buy Oxygen and Muscle Fitness Hers. They always have some kind of workouts you can do at home..Plus they have great meals plans and ideas..
  • SteveSprawl
    SteveSprawl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A few simple rules I have followed for years. (I am no expert and often what works for one may not work for another):
    -2 to 3 times a week doing a full body strength training routine usually produces firmer muscles for most people
    -work from the inside out and top down - in other words, work chest and back before arms and then work legs
    -choose 6 to 7 exercises
    -lift a weight you can perform 8 to 12 reps, when you can do 12 reps easily increase the weight by 2.5 to 5 pounds. 2 sets of 12 reps is a good place to start
    -change your routine every 6 workouts
    -form is critical so machines may be a good option to begin with to reduce the risk of injury that can occur with free weights

Hope this helps.