exercise with lots of issues ( or excuses)

I am no small potato by any means. I'm 5'9" and 277 pounds. I got serious last year with MFP and exercise here. I dropped 68 pounds felt good. I was on my way to the gym but speed to play basketball with the hubs and his friends. I was having fun and ( If I do say so myself) I was schooling those boys. Even my hubby said I was doing so. I jumped up to get a rebound, planted my foot to take the ball to the basket, I blew out my knee. Tore my ACL and shredded my meniscus. Had surgery, out of work for 7 weeks, yada , yada, yada... A year later, I've gained 30 pounds and still not active. we are ready to get back on track ( hubs gained weight back also) and ready to move again. when I exercised before I was up at 430 and went to the gym, got ready from there and went to work. we decided right now not to do the gym since we are about to have access to our pools, and weather warming up, etc. I want to do the workout video INSANITY but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it physically. I will be in the comfort of my own home and do it while everyone is sleeping ( getting up early again). I would also like to do the C25K but it's so hard to that after work ( neighborhood too dark to try that in the morning). I have a knee brace I will wear when I work out. Maybe this is just a fear of mine to being working out again. anyone else in the same boat as me as far as exercising?? My dr gave me the ok to work out, so that part was cleared. maybe I'm just rambling! :tongue: :flowerforyou: :blushing:

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Get yourself a headlamp and you can still run in the dark!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I am no small potato by any means. I'm 5'9" and 277 pounds. I got serious last year with MFP and exercise here. I dropped 68 pounds felt good. I was on my way to the gym but speed to play basketball with the hubs and his friends. I was having fun and ( If I do say so myself) I was schooling those boys. Even my hubby said I was doing so. I jumped up to get a rebound, planted my foot to take the ball to the basket, I blew out my knee. Tore my ACL and shredded my meniscus. Had surgery, out of work for 7 weeks, yada , yada, yada... A year later, I've gained 30 pounds and still not active. we are ready to get back on track ( hubs gained weight back also) and ready to move again. when I exercised before I was up at 430 and went to the gym, got ready from there and went to work. we decided right now not to do the gym since we are about to have access to our pools, and weather warming up, etc. I want to do the workout video INSANITY but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it physically. I will be in the comfort of my own home and do it while everyone is sleeping ( getting up early again). I would also like to do the C25K but it's so hard to that after work ( neighborhood too dark to try that in the morning). I have a knee brace I will wear when I work out. Maybe this is just a fear of mine to being working out again. anyone else in the same boat as me as far as exercising?? My dr gave me the ok to work out, so that part was cleared. maybe I'm just rambling! :tongue: :flowerforyou: :blushing:

It might be all in your head...the fear of hurting yourself that bad again is probably pretty powerful. How about starting slow? go for a walk with your husband, do some body weight exercises, etc.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Don't overthink it and just do it!!! :)
  • I have had issues with my knees & hips for years now, and more so since my knee surgery a few years ago. I haven't tried Insanity, but did do P90X with my hubby a few times. It was doable, I just had to modify some of the movements slightly to not cause pain in my knee. I couldn't do the Pylo dvd at all, but it gave you the option to do another full body workout to sub for all that jumping around. I'm in the process of re-rehabbing my knee (trying to slowly build up more strength with weights) so that I can get back into more cardio type activities without feeling that twinge of panic every time something feels uncomfortable. Just play it by ear and know your limits. :)
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    I would suggest trying insanity, but doing it on an easier/modified level. For example, when doing jumps, only raise one of your legs or do a squat instead. Perhaps you could try Turbo Fire instead where they have suggestions for lower impact people right alongside the harder workout?
  • ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    It only takes a few days to get into a routine. When I first started working out (I'm incredibly lazy. Always have been) I had to FORCE myself up and out. But now that it has become a routine, I just automatically plan on work, gym, home. It's just the way it is. Taking the first step is the hardest, but once you get past there, it will be a piece of cake. (Probably not a good cliche to use here, but whatever :) )
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I might get more specific guidance from your doc about which kind of workouts are ok. Insanity and running both involve a lot of impact which you may or may not be ready for. You didn't say anything about having gone through any Physical Therapy so I'm just wondering if you should do something more low key to build strength and stability in your leg first and then attempt something more high impact/intensity.

Don't mean to be discouraging, I just want to make sure you don't injure yourself further. I have trouble with my left knee as a result of a bad fall about 7 years ago where I broke a bone and severely strained tendons. Although I can run and do some pretty intense exercises, I have to be conscious of stretching right/well, doing regular strength training, using proper footwear and proper form. If I don't, my knee acts up and that's it for running for a while.

Good luck!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    I would try it out and if you are in pain, then STOP. Or do any modifications that are offered during the DVD. You and your hubby are so cute in your pic. Is he still a SAHD?
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    I would ease yourself into it so you don't have to worry about hurting your knee again. You're probably still a bit nervous, and rightfully so. After a car accident, it took me months to finally feel comfortable driving again. Instead of jumping into "Insanity" or "Turbo Fire", maybe try something a bit milder, like "Turbo Jam".
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Ruining is very high impact on your knees. I tried it at your weight, loved it but lots of injuries. Right now I'd start of walking. Do that for a month, then incorporate some HIIT slowly. Make it enjoyable and doable do you can make it sustainable long term.

Zara x
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I agree with lilRicki - start slow - build confidence - then push yourself a little harder each time

Your local library should have some workout DVDs. Starter ones like Leslie Sansone (low impact ... you can do in your living room). Some of her DVDs have jogging sections .... you can build by doing longer jogging sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member

about 10 years ago i blew out my acl and meniscus, had surgery, therapy then did nothing because i was so afraid of injuring myself again so i gained oh i don't know 40 pounds (and at 4' 11" that's a LOT). years later i finally got out of my own way and changed my life (started running, entered races, got serious about weights and i made/make sure i take care of my knees with exercising/strength training). get out of your own way and get back just take your time start slowly make sure you follow your doctors orders and continue with your therapy exercises. insanity might be a bit much but as long as you don't get discouraged that you're not able to do everything in it then try it. you've got to start somewhere. :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    If you try INSANITY - take it easy on all of the jumping around. Make sure to please land softly and take it easy on the knee. I know the DR gave you the Ok but my boyfriend just finished 2 months of insanity and hes in great shape and young and he even hurt his knee jumping around - and he doesnt have knee problems! It is a serious work out that you should take seriously with your body. Keep it at a level your body can afford.

Swimming, swimming, swimming. The weather is warming up and i highly recommend this exercise.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I'd start slow. Although I prefer to jump into exercise with both feet and over-do it as long as the motivation lasts, my aging body just isn't down with that anymore.

I have an old knee injury not as serious as yours, and I still can't do 30-day shred without my knee screaming in protest. I have to listen to my body, much as it frustrates me. I found some low-impact aerobics on YouTube to do instead. Some of the moves are very similar but less intense.

Good luck and best wishes!
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    I might get more specific guidance from your doc about which kind of workouts are ok. Insanity and running both involve a lot of impact which you may or may not be ready for. You didn't say anything about having gone through any Physical Therapy so I'm just wondering if you should do something more low key to build strength and stability in your leg first and then attempt something more high impact/intensity.

Don't mean to be discouraging, I just want to make sure you don't injure yourself further. I have trouble with my left knee as a result of a bad fall about 7 years ago where I broke a bone and severely strained tendons. Although I can run and do some pretty intense exercises, I have to be conscious of stretching right/well, doing regular strength training, using proper footwear and proper form. If I don't, my knee acts up and that's it for running for a while.

Good luck!

My advice would echo the suggestion of more physical therapy. Talk to a professional physical therapist about what activities you used to do and what activities you want to resume. He or she will be able to make *sure* that your knee is ready.

I had a knee injury in high school (quad pulled loose from the knee cap, taking a piece of the knee cap with it) and after PT, that knee was actually stronger and in better shape than the non-injured knee.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    "Get on your bike and ride" It is great exercise, fun and you can do it alone or with the family.

It will be great rehab for your knee, too.
  • Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member

Good luck!

I went through physical therapy. Dr told me I could do anything that I felt comfortable doing as long as I wear my knee brace. my husband works now so I have to cook when I get home and take care of children ands homework and sports, etc. morning are just easier for me, plus I have tons of energy when I do.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    i tore my ACL at 20 years old playing American football (yes i know im from the UK lol).
    I will be 25 in August and although thinking about it I've been fit 2-3 years I have only just mentally become fit enough to religiously exercise its time and patience and building yourself back into it.

I would suggest swimming, bike riding and leg raises to strengthen the knee and surrounding muscles.

For so long i used my knee as an excuse not to do things- I started at 1 spin class a week start of Jan, now and a month into using MFP i'm spinning 4 times a week, lifting heavy again including squats and leg pressing 3 times a week and doing 2 circuit classes a week.

Start slowly, listen to your body and you'll get there :)
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    I tore my ACL, MCL, and both menisii in my left knee...and had some bone fractures. I was scared to get back into all of my activities as well! But your Dr. is right. Do what you are comforatable with. If your surgery went well and you had good physical therepy, your knee should be strong enough to handle exercise now.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Also I was only out of work for 2 weeks....used crutches for over a month. I won my Physical Therapy Iron Women event!! After 4 months of PT, I was released to do whatever I wanted and didn't have to wear a brace. It took about a year for me to mentally feel good about my knee!