Question about Pod Runner Intervals - First Day to 5k

Options
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if you could provide some insight. I am trying to mix up my cardio routine and found Pod Runner Intervals. I would like to do the First Day to 5K program:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/audio/intervals.xml

I have already done 2 workouts in Week 1. I was walking 4.0-4.3 mph, and jogging 5.3-5.4 mph. I am confused about what speed I should be doing. In the introduction it said to pace yourself to the music, but I am doing this on a treadmill and it is hard to adjust the speed. The first week has the running interval paced to 142 BPM and the walking paced to 128 BPM. I have tried looking up the approximate speed for these, but am finding mixed results.

It looks like at the end of the program, you will be running for 30 mins at 140 BPM (music). Any idea what pace this would be?

Thanks!
Meghan

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just finished up Week 4 using the Podrunner Intervals. I don't know that there are any correct speeds to use, and using a treadmill (which I am also currently doing) is far different than running on the streets. As for me, my walking intervals have been at 3.5mph on the treadmill and my jogging intervals have been around 4.2mph, but the length of your strides and current fitness level will likely be the determining factors in how fast you are able to walk and jog.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it is somewhat helpful!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The speed of the treadmill would be based on your stride length, so you won't find any right answers if you're looking for an exact speed to set your treadmill to. Depending on your height (leg length) and whether you take short or long steps, your running speed could vary greatly. I "run" anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 mph on my treadmill depending if it is a light jog, an all out run, or whatever. I am 5'2" and fairly new to running.
    Sometimes running at a slower speed can be harder based on the fact that you could be taking really fast short steps, and turning up the speed and lengthening and smoothing out your stride can seem easier.

The podcasts are mainly to motivate you to run for the specified amounts of TIME, regardless of the speed you choose.
    Good luck and stick with it! :happy:
  • mgodby86
    mgodby86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Well, that brings me to another question - should my goal be to increase speed or should I leave it the same throughout the program? I was thinking of increasing it slightly (say .1 mile) each time, but I don't know if that would be too much on my body since I am new to running anyway.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    your goal should be to run each interval for the specified amount of time at whatever speed is most comfortable for you at this time until you move on to the next week. Once you work up to running the whole 5K without walking. after the 9 week program is over, then you can see how fast you are doing the whole 3.1 miles and work on bringing that time down by increasing your speed. You also may find that you are increasing your speed throughout the program just by doing what's most comfortable for you, as your body gets more used to running.

So in short, do whatever feels good until you can do it for 3.1 miles straight, THEN try to do it faster.
    :wink:
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the pod runner part, but I am doing the c25k program. I have found that the first few weeks I was able to run faster but now that I am running for longer periods I have had to slow my speed down to be able to run the whole time.