How late do you eat?

Options

Replies

• Emalilly13
    Emalilly13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So just to let you ALL know, eating after 8 and putting on weight is a myth!
    I finish work at 7 and sometimes hit the gym then and eat at 9 maybe even 10
    and im LOOSING weight. Take note its a myth! :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    When I was younger i could eat late at night and go to sleep, but now, im older and i just cant do it without being up all nightt. I have acid reflux so 7pm or 7:30pm is when i stop eating.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is not really important in terms of weight loss. Some people like to eat as soon as they wake up, and others don't want to eat anything for the first few hours of the day. Some people like to go to bed with a full stomach, and some people don't sleep well if they eat too close to bedtime. Those are really the only concerns you should have about when to eat.

I practice intermittent fasting. On a typical day, I wake up around 5:30 AM. I have my first meal around 11 AM. I train at 4 PM, and I have a protein shake right after. Then I have my last meal of the day between 6 and 7 PM. I'm usually in bed by 9 PM and asleep by 9:30 (on weekdays).

PS The theory that you don't burn fat (and, thus, shouldn't eat late at night) is absolute horse****.

From Leangains.com (with links to actual studies below, not quotes from a Huffingandpuffington Post article):
    The strongest argument against this are the numerous studies available on body composition and health after and during Ramadan fasting. This meal pattern of regular nightly feasts has a neutral or positive effect on body fat percentage and other health parameters. This is quite an extreme and telling example. People literally gorge on carbs and treats in the middle of the night to no ill effect. And yet, in the bizarre world of bodybuilding and fitness, people worry whether it's OK to eat 50 grams of carbs in their last meal.

If the scientific data on Ramadan fasting aren't enough, there are plenty of other studies showing no effect on weight loss or weight gain from eating later in the day.

In one study comparing two meal patterns, which involved one group eating more calories earlier in the day and one group eating most calories later in the day, more favorable results were found in the group eating large evening meals. While those who ate more in the AM lost more weight, the extra weight was in the form of muscle mass. The late evening eaters conserved muscle mass better, which resulted in a larger drop in body fat percentage.

Ramadan study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674

Effects of different meal times study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

Effects of meal timing on lean mass study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

Eating later in the day does not automatically mean "snacking until midnight." Some people actually plan their meals and eat like adults.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    It doesn't matter how late you eat. I have dinner around 7 or 8 then sometimes I have snacks until I go bed around 12/1am or later.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    not after 9 pm
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    why a rent u eating klunch at work or before work instead of at 10 pm
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    my last snack is at 7:00 p.m
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I want.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 9am-9:30am, lunch around 12:30pm-1pm and dinner anytime between 5pm and 6pm :)
    I try not to eat past 6, but if I've had a mega busy day, I could eat dinner around 7-8 :)
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I stop at 8:30pm........
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    Been trying to eat no later than 6pm but sometimes if I need to my last meal
    is by 5pm instead which means my none eating hours are even longer so at
    times I experience hunger in those hours. I try to get breakfast no
    later than 8 am but it depends on what my morning looks like.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I eat as late as I want as long as it fits into my daily calories!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    nothing past 3 hours before bed time and even then it better only be a small snack.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to have enough calories to eat really late, but now I find myself eating more in the morning, so I kind of go to bed hungry hehe
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat as late as I want and haven't had any issues as of yet...every person's body is different, you have to find what works for you.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat past about 8pm, just because that's what fits my schedule. But on the weekends I might have a snack as late as 1 or 2am. Whatever. Do what works for you. :)
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I try to stop eating no later than 6pm.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Dinner is around 8-9 PM.

Friday and Saturday night, I will often cook dinner after midnight. That's because I'm a night owl...lol. I eat whenever I want.

Sometimes I eat all my calories at night. Sometimes, I eat all my calories in the morning. I lost another 2.2 lbs. this morning, so I'd say it hasn't hindered me any.
  • teammeadors
    Options
    I, too, work from 2-11pm. I try to squeeze in a snack of primarily protein about 7:30-8:30pm. If I can't, I eat when I get home. Otherwise I will be ravenously hungry in the morning. Eating after 9pm hasn't affected my weight loss any that I can tell.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what time I eat as long as I stay under my cals for the day?
    No.

I prefer my breakfast in bed...at about 11:30 at night.