Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Bumping to share with a friend.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    As someone with PCOS, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism, lower carb eating is the only way I can lose weight. I tried sticking to calorie counting (eating back some if not most of my exercise calories) and daily hour-long workouts, while still enjoying whole grain pasta, brown rice, and whole grain bread... but I didn't lose a pound! I wish my body functioned 'normally', but it doesn't.

I average about 1750 calories a day, with 100-120g carbs -- mostly sourced from fruit and vegetables... and it's working well for me. I am seeing steady (albeit, slow) weight loss, however, it is sustainable, which, for me, is VITAL to keeping this way of eating forever, and not just temporarily. I could probably lose weight much faster if I dropped the carbs extremely low, but I know I would not stick to something so restrictive...and those pounds would quickly return.
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It has worked wonderfully for me.:bigsmile: On January 5th, I was 353lbs (having lost 12lbs previously), I am now 306lbs, for an average weekly loss of about 3lbs a week. My diet plan is 125 gm of carbs and 2000 calories a day. I get a moderate amount of fitness training, about 1900cal/week. The secret is to not eat very much bread, pasta, rice or potatoes, or starchy vegetables, (corn or peas). I use low-carb bread occasionally, low carb wraps, Atkins breakfast bars. So, low glycemic index foods are the source of most of my carbs. This diet can work well, with plenty of vegetables, and lean meat to fill up on. Check out the book "Wheat Belly" by DR William Davis, MD. I discovered this book in early March, I had already been following his essential guidelines. Wheat is very destructive to your ability to loose weight!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've embarked on the low carb journey with my boyfriend too (not husband yet :wink:), and I'm loving every single minute of it.
    I was just like you, I had carb-riddled meals every single day. Cereal, Pasta, Bread, Pizza.. and tons and tons and tons and tons of fast food. :ohwell:
    I was addicted to carbs, lethargic, tired, miserable and out of energy. :frown: I'm 22years old and I didn't feel like I was.
    The first week was where I dropped the most, 8 pounds, (my boyfriend dropped 12!) but I think radically changing your diet to a different regime than you're used to would create that drastic weight drop I think, :bigsmile: anyway, since then it's a steady decline anywhere from 0.5-2.5lbs a week. :drinker:
    Ultimately, for me, being on a low carb high fat ketogenic diet is the easiest way to create the calorie deficit needed in order to achieve weight loss. There are many different methods to lose weight, you just have to find the one that works the best for you! I wish you luck on your journey! Anyone feel free to add me or message me! We are all in this together! :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Edited to add:
    -I try to keep my net carbs (carbs minus fiber) under 20-25grams a day and try to do 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs of my calorie intake :happy:
    -My Diary is Public, so anyone and everyone can see what I eat, it may not be the most perfect example of keto/lowcarb, but It's what works for me at the moment :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It will probably be hard to just stop eating all of the bread, pasta and suchlike all at once. But after a very short time, you don't notice they aren't there anymore.

Personally, I found, not quite 'cutting bread out entirely', but just not buying it really helped. Now, if I really want something, I'll probably get some wholemeal pittas or naan bread - and the chances are that the rest of the packet will go off before it occurs to me to eat them.

Having said that, I do drink alcohol and had both a pesto pasta salad and a chocolate bar today. So I'm not exactly going crazy on this.

Easiest way is to not get bread/cakes/pastry first and lay off the pasta. Have potatoes with their skins, high carb fruit and veg, fruit juice occasionally, that kind of thing. You might find that just not having those refined carbs is enough.
  • twopennygal
    Options
    I've been low-carbing for over eleven years. Sometimes better than others, but I've never gone back to the level of carbs I was on before I started low-carbing. I started for my health, I had PCOS. Long story short, I find it's easiest to avoid starchy vegetables (potaotes, etc.) and grains. My big downfall, since I'm allergic to wheat, is corn -- corn chips, popcorn, tacos, nachos, etc.

In my case, I've made the decision always to live low-carb. So I don't think about "when I stop low-carbing or get off the diet." My diet is primarily meat and vegetables. Some people think we don't eat a balanced diet because we mostly stop eating starchy and sugary foods, but meat and vegetables is the most balanced you can get.

And if you do it, you'll feel so much better because your body will actually be getting what it needs to thrive -- preteins and fat. Carbs only supply energy. Your body doesn't need them to live, whereas if you cut out all protein or all fat, your body would scavenge what it needs from your muscles and bones until there was nothing left.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Why only "lean" meats and why no egg yolks? But the Atkins processed foods are a "saving grace" (um, NO, I've read the ingredients). I don't get it. And this is why I'm no longer part of the Low Carb forum. A healthy low carb lifestyle requires lots of healthy fats from real food. IMO.

Enjoy your arteriosclerosis.
    Enjoy your complete ignorance about the role healthy, natural fats play in human biochemistry, and their true relationship to heart disease.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why only "lean" meats and why no egg yolks? But the Atkins processed foods are a "saving grace" (um, NO, I've read the ingredients). I don't get it. And this is why I'm no longer part of the Low Carb forum. A healthy low carb lifestyle requires lots of healthy fats from real food. IMO.

Enjoy your complete ignorance about the role healthy, natural fats play in human biochemistry, and their true relationship to heart disease.

We'll see who's ignorant when you're having a balloon stuck into your leg to get the blockages out of your arteries. Meanwhile I'll be having fun in the sun. Sitting on a sunny beach while buxom island women bring me umbrella festooned drinks in coconut shells. I'll be living the life without a care in the world. Poor you, balloons inserted through your crotch because you chose to eat a yolk.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! I know I need more protein because Im hungry a lot! I havent been buying any of the stuff I mentioned before, if it isnt in the house I wont be tempted by it lol. I will have to try the spaghetti squash, as long as it doesnt taste like squash, I dont like it at all. I tried atkins bars but Im allergic to the soy, so almost every single protein or meal replacement bar I cannot have. I have been doing cottage cheese tho with fruit its very filling. Im going to keep doing the lower carb diet and see what the results are after a month :wink:
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    We'll see who's ignorant when you're having a balloon stuck into your leg to get the blockages out of your arteries. Meanwhile I'll be having fun in the sun. Sitting on a sunny beach while buxom island women bring me umbrella festooned drinks in coconut shells. I'll be living the life without a care in the world. Poor you, balloons inserted through your crotch because you chose to eat a yolk.
    Are you just a troll, or are you really that research-challenged you can't look at the truth for yourself? If you're one of those people that still believes fat causes heart disease, perhaps you should do some research.

Regardless of if you're a troll, willfully ignorant or research-challenged, you're simply wrong.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am counting carbs for my diabetes.... not exactly the same but I am here to support you!
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am loving low carb. I have only recently gotten serious about sticking to a low carb diet and exercising regularly. I have had a 15 pound weight loss in the past 3 weeks since I got serious. Lots of veggies, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta, lean meats and lots of egg whites. My saving grace are the Atkins products. They have added frozen meals to their line of protein bars and shakes. They taste great and keep my energy up. GOOD LUCK!!! :wink:

^^^^YES...good point :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I am loving low carb. I have only recently gotten serious about sticking to a low carb diet and exercising regularly. I have had a 15 pound weight loss in the past 3 weeks since I got serious. Lots of veggies, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta, lean meats and lots of egg whites. My saving grace are the Atkins products. They have added frozen meals to their line of protein bars and shakes. They taste great and keep my energy up. GOOD LUCK!!! :wink:

^^ I hope that last comment was a joke.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Uh, no, it's an ignorant (or trolling) point made out of complete ignorance of science. As would be your agreement with it.
    ^^ I hope that last comment was a joke.
    I'm pretty sure it was a troll post. That someone agreed with it blindly boggles the mind. People simply can't study for themselves and ignorantly believe dietary myths, it seems.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Actually, it's not. Evidence shows that carbohydrates cause blood vessel plaque. Ketogenic dieting reduces this.