exercise with lots of issues ( or excuses)

Options
2»

Replies

• aarikadanielle
    Options
    I did the same thing to my knee!!! I tore my ACL and had the full reconstruction done, was out for nearly 3 months and when it was time for me to get back into exercising and playing sports again, I was really scared that I was going to hurt myself again. I took it really slow for the first 6 months after surgery, while getting used to my new sports brace and going to physical therapy. It took me a good year to get over the fear of actually injuring the knee again. That was 6 years ago and my knee is strong now, but because i opted for the hamstring harvest I now have severe hamstring spasms during strenuous activity, which makes exercise somewhat difficult. It will all depend on how you trust your body, you have to trust you knee is going to hold up. I know how you feel, I used it as a crutch for the longest time, solely out of fear, but I wear no brace on my knee and I would also consider it to be stronger now than my knee that is hasn't had surgery.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just as an addition to my previous post I had the PTB reconstruction if that makes any difference in recovery and i don't wear a knee brace or any kind of support.

Chicks dig scars right? lol
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had a severe back injury in late 2009. I suffered a multi-disc herniation at L3/L4 and L4/L5. I know where you are coming from. The fear of reinjuring yourself can be a real barrier. It's easy for people to say "just do it!" but when you've suffered a potentially life altering injury, it just isn't that easy.

Have you seen a physiotherapist? My advice is to see one, and get some activity specific hardening exercises that will prepare your body and strengthen it for the particular activity you want to do.

Also, I recommend starting slow until you can build strength and confidence. Maybe C25K seems daunting so start walking. Start with 10 minutes a day, then 20, then 30. Once you are up to walking 30 minutes, maybe you start week one of C25K.

Good luck to you, in some ways this will be the hardest part of your recovery.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've blown out my ACL before. That's nasty and takes forever to come back from! I also had a fear for a LONG time that I would hurt my knee again. (I tore mine 6 years ago) I would suggest starting slow and build up to a higher intensity workout. If you jump into something intense, you run the risk of hurting yourself again. Why don't you just start with walking (or jogging) around your neighborhood and using some hand weights or resistance bands for weight bearing activities? Lunges and squats are great for strengthening your knees as well. Slowly build up to the high intensity work outs. You'll have more confidence that way and your risk of reinjury will be lessened.