When you've already messed up by 11 am...

Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

Replies

• Jeanniekellar
    Jeanniekellar Posts: 10 Member
    I find that drinking water all day curbs my appetite. I still don't drink the recomended 8 though. I just quit smoking so I have been having a snacking problem. Thats why I started using this sites calorie counter to hold myself accountable.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Try to eat healthy the rest of the day. Past is prologue.
    So your day total will be higher than your target. let it go.

Please learn from this experience. Why are you going over your targets ?

You need to understand, accept and remediate.

I wish you luck in your journey to health
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    And you may not have time to 'exercise' today but I would find other ways to burn calories- parking further away from the bar, going to the bathroom more often today at work, standing at work for a bit, etc.

and then try to make it up the rest of the week with an extra workout!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    just try and eat fairly healthy the rest of the day, and its still better than messing up at 11pm as you can still burn some of it off, dont worry about going over slightly, we all make mistakes, just make up for it tomorrow/during the week
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

As long as you know what's important to you. That's what counts.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Try to eat healthy the rest of the day. Past is prologue.
    So your day total will be higher than your target. let it go.

Please learn from this experience. Why are you going over your targets ?

You need to understand, accept and remediate.

I wish you luck in your journey to health
    This. Just eat what you'd normally eat for the rest of the day, and don't worry about it. Having a day go over isn't going to ruin your ability to meet your goal, but if you stress about it and start starving yourself every time it happens you'll find it harder to stick with it.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    I have a hard time with that too! I have been able to before just eat a very light dinner (fish and green beans or something) and then walk or jog or do a good workout so I have the extra calories.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Let me share this with you that a fellow MFPer shared with me:

"There is no wagon. Starting now, you make the choices that you know you need to make. And whatever you do, do *not* fall into the trap of, "well, I fell off the wagon, so now I can just throw everything out."

Don't dwell on it and do not throw away the rest of the day. Be healthy and make choices that you will be proud of tomorrow. Veggies, fruits and lean protein and of course, portion control. These are the kind of the days/moments that make a stronger.
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Don't starve yourself for the rest of the day! It will only make you miserable. Just try to accept that you made a mistake for *one* meal and don't let it ruin the rest of them. Eat as you normally would for the rest of the day. :) Good luck!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Someone smart once gave me an analogy:

Saying "Oh, I ruined my diet with one meal, I may as well eat like crap the rest of the day" is just like dropping your cell phone and saying, "It's ruined, I may as well smash it to pieces."
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    What is your daily calorie intake and how much have you eaten? Sometimes you think you have gone over but in reality you are not getting enough calories - I can take a look and help you out - let me know if you want me to

Steph :)
  • Well, we cant be perfect all of the time! Shake it off and eat heslthy the rest of the day. Everyone else had the same suggestions i have. Just rememer, those drinks are going to add onto your calories ......alot, so try to get in some exercise today.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    i dont mess up like that
    exercise the calories away
    figure out better foods to eat
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member

WALK WALK WALK !! work out the uglies!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Just continue your day the way you normally would if you hadn't "messed up". This one time is not going to have any measurable affect on you.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Someone on mfp once wrote :

"If you were to get into a car accident during the day, would you still drive around and break the law? Or would you abide by the rules of the road, even though you made a mistake earlier in the day?"

This really hit home to me. You wouldn't break the rules of the road because you don't want to get into another accident. You still have to abide by the rules of the road. You don't say "I give up being a good driver" just because of a fender bender.

I always beat myself up for having a bad day. But, I can make better choices throughout the day. I can have control. Maybe I blew a whole day. But, I didn't get fat overnight, I'm not going to get skinny overnight, and one day out of the rest of my life isn't something to fret about.

Go through your day, Make better choices as you can. If you can't, tomorrow is a better day and use it as motivation to keep going forward.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I cup or two of veggies never hurt anyone. Eat broccoli, celery, and carrots all day long. That's what I do. lol
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Excercise! :smile:
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Well, I plan out my day as much as possible before hand. If something changes early on I continue on with what I planned and I try to add in as much activity as I possibly can for the rest of the day. Five minutes of exercising here and two more minutes of walking here. If it happens late in the day I try to even out the extra calories over the course of a week and make a conscious effort to do better next time, it's not fun to continually play catch-up. One thing I know for a fact is there are NO short cuts. You have to put in the effort to not screw up and to fix it if you do. Don't have time? Make time, that's effort.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Figure out your TDEE and try and stay under it?

Also - what's your daily calorie goal that you've overeaten by noon?