When you've already messed up by 11 am...

Options

Replies

• synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

As long as you know what's important to you. That's what counts.

haha awesome
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Bottom line? Make time, not excuses. Cheers x
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Stay on track the rest of the day with healthy eating - don't give up on the whole day. Yes, you are probably going to be over for the day; but log it and learn from it!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Today I overate at breakfast / morning snack and that leaves me a fairly small calorie amount for the rest of the day.

Just curious for any advice on how people try to fix their days when they've already messed up early on. I've gotta resist just giving in and saying "oh well, it was a bad day, might as well eat whatever I want"!

I don't have time to work out today since I'm grabbing drinks with friends later. So far my only plan is to distract my taste buds with tea and gum, and trying to have veggies at dinnertime...

^This
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

That's a bit rude... Do you know OP or the reasoning behind that statement? Maybe she exercises every day, but today she has friends coming from out of town that she hasn't seen in years and has only 1 day to see them. Maybe it's a one-time thing. Don't get up on a soapbox just because you've lost a ton of weight and others struggle.
  • still_a_caterpillar
    Options
    I had my once-a-week wicked bad breakfast sandwich, and it's worth a whole hour at the elliptical, but I'm planning to take a walk during lunch today if the weather is nice and then do said hour on elliptical.

Also, last night I was supposed to have dinner with friend. We decided to wait until next week, but before that I looked at the menu and tried to find the healthiest thing on the menu, even if I had to special order. Also, I set myself a time limit to say "ok guys, I'm sorry, I have to go. The gym calls!" I was even willing to forego the margarita...which is hard to do at a mexican place.

Try drinking club soda with lime. It's really tasty, has no booze in it, and you look a little cooler than you would if you were just drinking plain water. Allow yourself one booze serving if you absolutely must, but then just drink club soda for the rest of the night...it's really not all that bad :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i dont mess up like that
    exercise the calories away
    figure out better foods to eat

never ever messing up must be great. maybe you can tell us how you got to be so amazing?

note to the original poster:
    WE ALL MESS UP, and and NONE OF US GOT FAT FROM OVEREATING FOR A FEW HOURS ONE MORNING.
    So, eat well for the rest of the day, try to eat a little lighter for a few days to follow (as long as you aren't going to low of course), and see if you can sneak in some extra activity for the rest of the week. We track our food and activity by day but really, as long as it all averages out for the week, you're fine! (and even if it doesn't average out, one bad morning is not a disaster)
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options

haha awesome

I don't understand. Friends are important too...one workout skipped never killed anybody.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Its all about balance. maybe tomorrow you can eat a little less to make up for today? I find that paying attention also to my 'weekly calorie intake' helps, versus just looking at my daily intake. If you eat more today, eat less tomorrow and Thursday.
    Everything in life is about proper balance, including your healthy lifestyle.

EDIT: also try and add lots more water to today. Do not give into eating whatever you want just because you feel you have already sabotaged your day. Just eat low calorie foods (raw veggies, fruits).
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Drink water, tea (with lemon but forget the extras today), or black coffee.

Have veggies. You can make a big, filling salad. Use oil & vinegar for dressing.

It is okay to zig-zag your calories. You can go over today and a little under tomorrow if you want. Then, eat regularly the next day. (As someone has suggested to me, worry more more about calories for the week instead of per day.)

Edit: LOL. Looks like I've repeated what the last poster said! Sorry!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    To avoid "messing up" by lunch I just plan out all of my meals for the day in the morning or the day before. I already know what I'm going to eat, long before the food is ever even made. Hard to make a mistake that way.

If I have a really heavy day because I felt like eating something really terrible, I try to eat at maintenance instead of still pursuing my goal deficit.

Even rarer still, if I have the opportunity to hit up a place I don't often get to visit I'll just eat whatever I want and enjoy it. Might be a couple times a year.

All depends on the situation.
  • Lovely_at_any_size
    Lovely_at_any_size Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I plan my days worth of eating first thing in the morning. I know what snacks I will eat, my lunch, and my dinner. I find this to be very helpful. This way I stay at my calories. If I do have a bad day I try to make sure I workout extra hard that night!
  • meredith1123
    Options

^This

NO, not this! EVery one in this dang place deserves a night out with friends. I sure as HECK DO! I am not about to ruin my one night a month or whenever to enjoy my life (as we all should) just because people are brainwashed to think we should be perfect.
    Go enjoy your night girl. BALANCE IT OUT TOMORROW! LIfe is about balance, proper balance of all things... good and bad, fun and not so fun. walk more, run more, exercise more for a few days. Youll bang it out in no time.
    GEt on it tomorrow and THursday, eat less and average out your calories for the week - youll BE FINE!
  • meredith1123
    Options

haha awesome

I don't understand. Friends are important too...one workout skipped never killed anybody.
    I concur with this last statement. IT FIRES ME UP to hear that people think she shouldnt have a good time with friends on occasion. I am a FIRM Believer in enjoying life. I am also a firm believer in paying the price so get your bootay out there, enjoy your night and then bust your B's to make up for it for a couple of days.
    People are ridiculous. vanity is a B***CH.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    oh i want to add this very important note:
    Do not think you have to starve yourself for the rest of the day. What happens when we try to severely restrict? Well, most of us lose our minds a little and end up way eating too much once we finally eat because we are SO HUNGRY. So yes, lots of veggies and water today, but don't neglect the protein just because it has a few more calories, and don't completely avoid fats, fats help us to feel satiated. You are better off eating right but light and not starving yourself for the rest of the day and going over a little, than trying to eat as little as possible and then breaking down at 10pm and eating all the things you can get your hands on or having double breakfast tomorrow morning because you wake up famished.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    ...then mitigate and exercise before midnight...
  • mztea11
    mztea11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So 1 lb of Salad is 100 calories.... use a vinegar dressing and you can stuff yourself on greens.

Also, you can always add another workout, like a 30 minute viggerous walk to bank more calories so you can eat a little more later. also Why sit around and drink with friends, why not go dancing instead? that way you get active social time
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

how about showing up a bit late for drinks and getting in a quick 20 minute workout (whatever you typically do).

are you trying to "save" calories for your drinks later on? i would focus on eating healthy the rest of the day - drink lots of water, don't drink too much tonight and just log everything and be done with it. we all have these days. you can't beat yourself up over it or starve yourself just because you're not going to hit that magic calorie number.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 calories a day.

More fruits and veggies.
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If my BMR is 1850 calories but i'm eating 1300 calories a day and i spent 1000 on breakfast, i would just eat up until about 1800 calories. Then you're not going to gain weight by over eating and you still get to eat! x