Fitbit VS Bodymedia Fit

Options
Tbias78
Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
OK, I bought a Polar FT7 HRM and can't get the thing to transmit my heart rate for nothing and I give up... I'm looking at the Bodymedia Fit armband and the Fitbit... Anyone have experience & prefer one over the other before I invest more money in something?

Replies

• Tbias78
    Tbias78 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what the differences are between these as well
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered one of these. I found a few links that might help you guys from other threads:

http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/How-it-works

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

Edited to clarify that I ordered the BodyMedia Fit LINK armband. :-)
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a body media link arm band. I love it. I don't know anything about the fitbit so I can't help you there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OK, I bought a Polar FT7 HRM and can't get the thing to transmit my heart rate for nothing and I give up... I'm looking at the Bodymedia Fit armband and the Fitbit... Anyone have experience & prefer one over the other before I invest more money in something?

The Bodymedia Fit is probably a bit more accurate, but wearing a big clunky thing on your arm is a PITA and looks stupid. And if you wear it all the time you get dimples in your arm (I'm not joking).

The Fitbit is very accurate in my experience. I add a little bit on top for weight lifting though.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    It depends what type of exercise you do. I hardcore both at one time- the Fitbit gave me a daily burn of about 300 Cals less than the BMF. The BMF is more than 90% accurate b
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit less than a week ago and love it. But it's different from a HRM -- it doesn't actually measure your heart rate. Calorie burn is just a guess over the course of the day. It helps to link it to MFP and input your exercise here -- then Fitbit reconciles the proposed calorie burn on here with itself during the time you say you exercised. I feel like Fitbit and HRM are not comparable gadgets. I use both. Sorry yours HRM sucks. Mine sometimes takes a few minutes to transmit my HR to the watch.

ETA: I think I have that same HRM! Yeah, it can take a while. I find that when it says "0" if I just ignore it for a minute more, it finds my hearbeat. Sometimes I just keep hitting stop and restart and it eventually gets it. Sometimes it comes on right away. Frustrating!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It is very motivating to me to see my daily stats in pie charts and bar graphs. I try to do better each day. I don't think the calorie counts are perfect, but I doubt my HRM had perfect calorie counts either and it wasn't nearly as motivating.

If you want to know how many steps you took in a day, how many 10' staircases you climbed, how overall active you were and how sedentary (9 hours, really?), also how you slept the night before then a fitbit is for you. If you want to know at every moment exactly how many calories you are burning then a BodyMedia or some such might be better for you.
  • tempest_omouthy
    tempest_omouthy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a Fitbit Flex for my husband and one for myself next week when they come out. We have the Fitbit Aria scale and love it so far. I'll be glad to give you more info after we get them.
  • justforjen1
    justforjen1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia arm band and I love it! It has really opened my eyes to the amount of calories I burn (or don't burn). I don't have a fitbit, so I can't help you with a comparison.
  • ginnylee75
    ginnylee75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a body media link arm band. I love it. I don't know anything about the fitbit so I can't help you there.

This....:flowerforyou:
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and been wearing it everyday for almost a year. I really like that it's small. No one knows I have it on and that's nice for at work or even dressing up. I can still wear it to weddings and what not and get my counts for the day. The Fitbit is easy to use. Put it on and that's pretty much it. It syncs with MFP on it's own. I recently had a friend make the switch to the Fitbit from Bodymedia and for about a week she wore both. She said that overall the Fitbit was a bit lower on cal. burn, but it wasn't a large enough number where she had to adjust her macros. She actually started to lose more because of the difference.
  • drgnfly4
    drgnfly4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I researched this to death before I chose. I ended up going with the Body Media. It is an unobtrusive arm band that is well hidden under my shirt sleeves even with short sleeves on, however as a guy our short sleeves don't tend to be as short.

Body Media actually takes five hundred scientific measurments about what your body is really doing every single minute fo the day. Tht's five hundred data points per minute. The fit bit is a pedometer with some inteligent software behind it but is guessing your burn based on a formula and your steps. While the Body Media is aware of your movement in three dimensions, your body temperature flux (How hard you are working) your sweat levels, (through galvanic skin resistances) and your heat output.

It adds to the data some very smart formualas and gets a lot closer to your actual burn within 10%.

It syncs with MFP so I use MFP to input my food and Body Media to track my exercise. Then I use Body Media to print out an amazing report for the day week or month that tells me down to the minute what I was burning. (2.4 Cals per minute sleeping, up to 25 cals a minute at full tilt exercise!) You can graph your workouts and zoom into a mere moment or back way out and see a graph of the whole day. so you can analyze your exercise effectiveness. Body Media also tracks your sleep patterns and effectveness, as well as food water etc... I love mine! I being an analytical guy hooked on numbers and science etc... Found it VERY helpful and I do not believe I would have made the progress I have made without it. I could look down at the LCD screen that receives real time updates form the arm band and see exactly what I was doing during a workout. I reset the trip meter right before I start working out and throughout the workout it flashes between calories per minute averaged since the reset and the total burn since the reset. It obviously also counts your steps, but it does so much more than that. So I can set a caloric burn goal for the workout and go until I hit it. It's also compatible with a number of smart phones (that then run the Body media App) for even better access to your current data. But my phone is one that it will not work on.

If you want real accuracy and access to as much or as little real data a you want the Body Media is my recommendation.
  • TTLByJackie
    TTLByJackie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my BodyMedia Core armband! Plus, their customer service is top notch (they replaced mine one month out of warranty, no questions asked). It's amazing to see just how much I have or have not burned in a day, or how well I did or did not sleep. The LINK band is supposed to be able to connect via Bluetooth to your phone, but MANY people have issues with it. Plus, Core is a little smaller and if you really want to see updated statistics, there is a little watch-type thing you can purchase and link with.

drgnfly4 explained it perfectly. It really is an amazing device!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I researched this to death before I chose. I ended up going with the Body Media. It is an unobtrusive arm band that is well hidden under my shirt sleeves even with short sleeves on, however as a guy our short sleeves don't tend to be as short.

Body Media actually takes five hundred scientific measurments about what your body is really doing every single minute fo the day. Tht's five hundred data points per minute. The fit bit is a pedometer with some inteligent software behind it but is guessing your burn based on a formula and your steps. While the Body Media is aware of your movement in three dimensions, your body temperature flux (How hard you are working) your sweat levels, (through galvanic skin resistances) and your heat output.

It adds to the data some very smart formualas and gets a lot closer to your actual burn within 10%.

It syncs with MFP so I use MFP to input my food and Body Media to track my exercise. Then I use Body Media to print out an amazing report for the day week or month that tells me down to the minute what I was burning. (2.4 Cals per minute sleeping, up to 25 cals a minute at full tilt exercise!) You can graph your workouts and zoom into a mere moment or back way out and see a graph of the whole day. so you can analyze your exercise effectiveness. Body Media also tracks your sleep patterns and effectveness, as well as food water etc... I love mine! I being an analytical guy hooked on numbers and science etc... Found it VERY helpful and I do not believe I would have made the progress I have made without it. I could look down at the LCD screen that receives real time updates form the arm band and see exactly what I was doing during a workout. I reset the trip meter right before I start working out and throughout the workout it flashes between calories per minute averaged since the reset and the total burn since the reset. It obviously also counts your steps, but it does so much more than that. So I can set a caloric burn goal for the workout and go until I hit it. It's also compatible with a number of smart phones (that then run the Body media App) for even better access to your current data. But my phone is one that it will not work on.

If you want real accuracy and access to as much or as little real data a you want the Body Media is my recommendation.

No.

The fitbit measures your movement the exact same way as the Bodymedia: with a 3-axis accelerometer.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I've been so frustrated with my Polar FT7 as of late, I have to fiddle with it for 10 minutes before I can get it to work (maybe a need a new strap? I've got it the smaller it will go right now). Any who, I also have a fitbit and use to (I say use to because I dropped and lost it at the shops the other day. Completely devastated, but fitbit are replacing it for free!) use both at the same time and found they actually had similar read outs (doing cardio).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

No.

The fitbit measures your movement the exact same way as the Bodymedia: with a 3-axis accelerometer.
    Yes but it has other sensors too.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love this post, i had a friend call me a few minutes ago and ask me about the bodyfit armband, so this is perfect for both of us as I know nothing about them but have been interested in them.

Thanks for posting this.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No.

Yes but it has other sensors too.

The Fitbit also has other sensors.

The Bodymedia Fit measures more things than the Fitbit.. but they are of questionable value. Skin temperature and sweat are of dubious use when it comes to estimating calorie output. I think the downsides of the Fit compared to the Fitbit (having to wear a box on your arm all the time that can actually cause semi-permanent skin deformation) far outweigh the benefits (skin temperature and sweat level measurements).

They both measure actual body movement in the exact same way.
  • bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Fitbit Flex; I wish it was out already. :-(